Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reports of juvenile sablefish?

Default Any reports of juvenile sablefish?

Hi All-
    We're seeking the help of the public once again to pass on any reports of juvenile sablefish (blackcod) being caught statewide. There were signs last fall of another large year class coming through, and we're hoping to monitor what people are seeing gulfwide. These fish will be approximately a foot in length, and are often caught in 70 - 150 ft of water. Most often when trolling for salmon. Attached are photos for reference. Let us know what you see!

Thanks!
    NOAA Fisheries
    Auke Bay Lab, Juneau, AKIMG_0476.jpgIMG_0479.jpg

We had one come all the way to the surface following and trying to eat the lead weight of one of our halibut rigs a couple weeks ago fishing in about 280 feet of water. Was off of Naked Island out of Whittier. I'ld guess it was more like 18-24 inches though. Could have netted it it hung out so long. Of course none of us thought to take any pictures till after it got bored and left...

Quote Originally Posted by sable15 View Post
    Let us know what you see!
    Nothing in Kalsin Bay yet this year, but I don't expect them that shallow for another month. I fear you folks arrived too late last fall for the really shallow fish (15'-30'), but hopefully you found them a little deeper. I was through the head of the bay from 80' and shallower on Saturday with no sign on the fathometer and none on the hooks. Definitely early yet.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

There were hundreds around last October near Sitka. They would come up to the surface in the evening and were feeding.

I released a ton (not literally) from in front of the cannery in Excursion Inlet while catching juvenile pollock and herring for bait.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Nothing in Kalsin Bay yet this year, but I don't expect them that shallow for another month. I fear you folks arrived too late last fall for the really shallow fish (15'-30'), but hopefully you found them a little deeper. I was through the head of the bay from 80' and shallower on Saturday with no sign on the fathometer and none on the hooks. Definitely early yet.
    Na, later on they were a royal PITA over on the west side man, from 20' to the bottom when they were here. and PL harbor was full, looked like the bottom was swimming at times. But I would like to see a few show up, made good chowder
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Yes- we had high catch rates in both locations last August. Thanks!

Late to the party, but found a ton last September off of the cape here in Sitka. Found a few kings that had their stomachs stuffed with them.

2 weeks ago got one in Bainbridge passage in southern PWS. It was about 28" long. Bigger than most of the juvies we caught last year.

I understand that there are some being caught by trollers in Eastern Channel, just a couple of miles south of Sitka. The trollers are fishing for Kings returning to the hatchery up inside Silver Bay. This isn't unusual, but thought I would pass the info on.

Just pulled a couple up today at the bottle neck into Silver Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
    Just pulled a couple up today at the bottle neck into Silver Bay.
    Thanks all for the reports to date. We continue to hear lots of reports in Southeast about the 2015 year class, but nothing yet from Kodiak/Southcentral.

Here is some interesting footage at the Medvejie Hatchery in Sitka provided by ADFG. These guys are ferocious! https://youtu.be/p6lJrjrk9Ps

Quote Originally Posted by sable15 View Post
    [COLOR=#1F497D] We continue to hear lots of reports in Southeast about the 2015 year class, but nothing yet from Kodiak/Southcentral.

Haven't seen any yet, but in our experience it's a couple or three weeks early for Kalsin here on Kodiak. Bait is pretty scarce in the bay so far this year (really clear water- i.e., limited plankton blooms), so I suspect that my affect timing.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Haven't seen any yet, but in our experience it's a couple or three weeks early for Kalsin here on Kodiak. Bait is pretty scarce in the bay so far this year (really clear water- i.e., limited plankton blooms), so I suspect that my affect timing.
    Roger that. That was the case last summer. Definitely different timing between various regions of the state. Sounds like they're searching for food in Southeast as well. Thanks for the report and keeping your eye out!

Back in the "usual" place today, and no dice.
    Merle Haggard

Caught limits of juvenile sablefish today out of Ketchikan. All fish were 18" long in 180'-220' of water.

I caught one about 20" on 7/14/16. I was fishing North of Kodiak on Afognak. We were in 140' of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    I caught one about 20" on 7/14/16. I was fishing North of Kodiak on Afognak. We were in 140' of water.
    Thanks for this! I think we're going to try tagging off Kodiak again in late August/early September. It will be interesting to have two years for comparison, especially with Southeast showing high numbers again. We just returned from tagging around Sitka. Yes- Silver Bay is full of juvenile sablefish!

We picked up our first juvies in Kalsin today. They were in 100' and running bigger than last year- on the order of 18-22" and broader through the "shoulders." Nice fish. I expect them to move shallower quickly as the bait comes up, but for right now the major bait concentrations are in 60' and deeper.
    Merle Haggard

Hi guys! We're going to be fishing and hopefully catching juvenile sablefish out of Kodiak this Wednesday and Thursday (August 30 and sept 1). Any reports of catching these in the area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast