Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Boat Anchor Stowage

Default Glass Boat Anchor Stowage

Hi all, I have a '79 Bayliner purchased last fall and just replaced the anchor package with a larger claw anchor, 30 feet of chain and 600 feet of rode. My question is how/where do I stow all that? Keep it inside somewhere til I need it or keep it in some sort of tub on the bow bungied down securely? I just saw on another post the guy with the Hewes with a windlass question and someone mentioned to have the rode held down so it doesn't escape in rough seas. I have it in my garage right now in an old Chevy parts crate with the double folding, interlocking lids but without the lids installed. These tubs are pretty tough as they are used to haul auto parts around between dealer and shops. This [picture isn't my boat but my bow looks just like this one up front. Not very much to work with but there's much I don't know yet about this boat so I would love to hear some recommendations. Thanks to all.

BAYLINER SARA 77 BOW.jpg

Yea all the people down in Southeast run milk crates on the bow for storing anchors, chain, and line (yes bungied down). Ugly but functional.

Sobie2

I could build you a custom size wire storage box for your anchor and rope.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

on my old boat I ran it for 15 years with the old style heavy metal wire type milk crate bolted down on the bow of the boat with the anchor on top strapped down. It was not a thing of beauty but it worked

If you have room forward in the bow you could fashion an anchor locker than install a deck pipe to feed all that line and chain down below. We had that setup on our 22ft C-dory, would pile the chain on top of the line on deck to hold it secure while out than feed it all below when returning to port.

Then if your still ambitious next would be to install an anchor pulpit.

Or just get a milk crate.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Or let me build you something like this clam cage i built for a charter boat. I could build to whatever measurements a guy might need. Its a much heavier wire than a shrimp pot and has a hinged lid.
    ED clam cages.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Or let me build you something...
    That's the route I'd go. Triangular shape to minimize loss of deck space, attached to the rails for security, lid for same, and just big enough. Might consider clips on top of the lid to secure the anchor, rather than trying to fit the anchor inside the cage.

Good food for thought Potbuilder. Milk crates are always too big or too small. And in the way. Much as I've used them myself as the best alternative.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's the route I'd go. Triangular shape to minimize loss of deck space, attached to the rails for security, lid for same, and just big enough. Might consider clips on top of the lid to secure the anchor, rather than trying to fit the anchor inside the cage.

Good food for thought Potbuilder. Milk crates are always too big or too small. And in the way. Much as I've used them myself as the best alternative.
    I'll post up some other pictures of another cage i built that i thought would be good for storage on a wheeler. Lots of goodies could be built with wire. One of my rope totes might also work, they hold lots of rope and have gromets on the top with long web handles so they could be secured fairly easily.
    ED new rope tote1.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

You know.... I like the idea of the rope tote even better.

I was kinda queezy about a wire basket up there vibrating and bouncing to wear through the gel coat, but the rope tote bypasses all that. I'd have probably put a cocoa mat under the wire basket, but no need I suspect with the fabric tote.

Can I change my vote?
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

You know.... I like the idea of the rope tote even better.

I was kinda queezy about a wire basket up there vibrating and bouncing to wear through the gel coat, but the rope tote bypasses all that. I'd have probably put a cocoa mat under the wire basket, but no need I suspect with the fabric tote.

Can I change my vote?
    Sure why not !! Whatever works best for the application. More than one way to skin a eel !! All the totes need are a big gromet in the bottom to knot the rope through.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

If our current boat didn't have an anchor locker up there, I'd be ringing your cash register!

Thanks for all your experience and thoughtful help for everyone. Your thinking and building are clearly sound.
    Merle Haggard

If our current boat didn't have an anchor locker up there, I'd be ringing your cash register!

Thanks for all your experience and thoughtful help for everyone. Your thinking and building are clearly sound.
    The guys have been using the totes to purge the shrimp and also for hanging off a cleat and automactically washing fish fillets as the boat rolls, less of a bloody mess on the boat. Long web handles make them handy for carrying dipnet fish off the beach, just sling the straps over a couple of shoulders or run the net handle through them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder,

Question: tote waterproof, or slow draining....

using fer anchor, would like to drain out.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Potbuilder,

Question: tote waterproof, or slow draining....

using fer anchor, would like to drain out.

Chris

They are made out of a heavy duty mesh so self draining. They are 18"x18"x18".

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

couple of other wire cages i've built The one with the bait buckets is 24x12x12 & the other is 12x12x15.
    20160526_153636[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

That longer one just might work for me Steve. But I definitely need to get my boat and assorted gear wet a few times and see what my rode looks like piled up before I make a leap.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Oh and thanks for posting the great ideas ..it sure helps the greenhorns among us!
    I like those bags a lot what does one of those go for?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Whelenator;1541879]Oh and thanks for posting the great ideas ..it sure helps the greenhorns among us!
    I like those bags a lot what does one of those go for?

Just throwing ideas out there for anyone to pick and choose as they see fit. Bags go for $90. The one i had on display at the shows has 1800ft of shrimp rope in it and still has room for more. Get some time in on the boat and then you'll know better what you need or don't need.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I would think it would be easier with a basket rather than a tote. It seems to me like the tote would tend to fold over while you are pulling rope and throwing it into it. Three hands would make it easier though. Unless you are pulling it mechanically , that would be different. Also, 600' of rode might take up more space than the tote, it sure fits nice on the spool but a different story when dribbling it into a hold.

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    I would think it would be easier with a basket rather than a tote. It seems to me like the tote would tend to fold over while you are pulling rope and throwing it into it. Three hands would make it easier though. Unless you are pulling it mechanically , that would be different. Also, 600' of rode might take up more space than the tote, it sure fits nice on the spool but a different story when dribbling it into a hold.
    You haven't seen one of my rope totes ?? Tote in the pic has 1800ft of 5/16" shrimp rope(with room for more) and i bet it would easily hold 800' of anchor line and have some room left over. Just fold over the top and they stand up pretty well. Tie it to the bow rail and you'd be golden.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast