Thread: 2016 Portage Creek Float

Default 2016 Portage Creek Float

i finally got on the water this year. My buddy had a visitor and wanted to float something close and easy. Portage Creek was the perfect choice. We put in below the shallow boulder garden about a 1/4 mile below the bridge and chose to takeout along Portage Glacier Rd ( see pic #1). This avoids the last couple of slow miles and the muddy takeout after floating under the Seward Hwy. It was a popular weekend to float. There were several other groups on the river in the short time we were there.
    On 5/22/16 there were no strainers or sweepers that could not be easily avoided.

Was a great day to be on the water.

Great report! Thank you! Doing this Saturday morning with my wife in packrafts. This will be a first for both of us, and I'm sure we won't be the only ones on the water. How long did this section take you?

I think it was about 1 1/2 hours. Since you are in packrafts you can extend the trip a little by putting in under the bridge behind the visitor center and taking out at the hwy. That will add about an hour. The highway takeout isn't bad in small craft. Parking at the highway may be an issue due to the hooligan dipnetters though.