Thread: Shot a small griz now to have it made into polish sausage

Default Shot a small griz now to have it made into polish sausage

So Saturday was a little strange had 2 grizzlies on the bait and we scared them ofv. While I was filling the barrel my buddy was watching and a different small grizzly showed up at 15 yards . We yelled at her and she went about 20 yards in the woods then popped back out again. Then she went up to the stands which were about 30 yards away each time she would look and stare really intently at us then she got above us right on the trail to the bait and started to go to the right wherevthey normally all leave all of a sudden she just switched around and headed right down the trail to us .She just lowered her head and started coming, I shot her at 20 -25 yards didnt want to but she wasnt afraid and she wouldnt leave I thought about shooting in the ground in front of her but she was so close and sadly that was the decision. She was not smelly or greasy smelled like a blackie skinning her gonna take her to mikes meats in eagle river to make polish sausage, Im sure fish and game doesnt want small sows killed on the pennisila and there are big brons there. I feel bad but at the same time I wont waste her sometimes they are just unpredictable outcomes only a 4.5 to 5 ft bear she looked bigger coming at me.

I wonder how we find out what the current harvest status is of females on the Kenai Peninsula. If it is close to the quota, and a Emergency Order, total shut-down, would be nice if you could hold off getting it sealed as long as is legal to do so.

First and foremost. Kudo's on tagging the bear and keeping it! A lot
    Of folks would have turned it in as a DLO and kept hunting for what they wanted. Baiting bears in can create these situations. Good for you taking this experience as it was.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I wonder how we find out what the current harvest status is of females on the Kenai Peninsula. If it is close to the quota, and a Emergency Order, total shut-down, would be nice if you could hold off getting it sealed as long as is legal to do so.
    I spoke with the I think his name is Salinger when I reported it. He said only 3 browns turned in this week and much fewer reported this year than last. I don't think there will be any problem with the hunt continuing until the end of the month. When it ends anyway.

I ended up trying Glenns meat processing on muldoon and am having half made into breakfast sausage and half into bacon hamburger. He has a quick turn around and said it would be done by Friday.

I sure hope it ends up being good eating.

Turned mine in today. #13 out of 20, plenty left so no worries!

That is good news, Thanks for the feed back on that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I spoke with the I think his name is Salinger when I reported it. He said only 3 browns turned in this week and much fewer reported this year than last. I don't think there will be any problem with the hunt continuing until the end of the month. When it ends anyway.

glenns does fantastic work kudos for bringing it to him. Whenever we get anything processed that we do not do our self (chorizo etc) it goes to glenns.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

That critter turn out edible?

I'd like to see several more browns taken in the gray cliff area. The place is over run with them, and the blackies are now a thing of the distant past. Moose calves don't stand a chance. So much blown down spruce from fall storms, it's like they are in a corral. Easy pickings for the browns.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

it turned out some was good and some made you gag

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I'd like to see several more browns taken in the gray cliff area. The place is over run with them, and the blackies are now a thing of the distant past. Moose calves don't stand a chance. So much blown down spruce from fall storms, it's like they are in a corral. Easy pickings for the browns.
    where is this grey cliff area?

Quote Originally Posted by jnjgaudette View Post
    where is this grey cliff area?
    North Kenai.......beyond Capt. Cook Park.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Im sure fish and game doesnt want small sows killed on the pennisila and there are big brons there. I feel bad but at the same time I wont waste her sometimes they are just unpredictable outcomes only a 4.5 to 5 ft bear she looked bigger coming at me.
    Don't feel bad. In my opinion shooting a small sow is kinda "bitter sweet". If they wouldn't close the season too soon when their quota of sows are killed then it wouldn't be so bad. But imo, there are still too many brownies on the Kenai, so I say kill those moose killin' baby makers...!!!....lol. Now I know they say habitat plays a bit part too, but getting rid of a bunch more moose killers can't hurt either......at least for a few more years. Again just my opinion, as I really don't think these last few years of having a general season on brown bears has put much of a dent in them.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

it turned out some was good and some made you gag
    Got a theory on why that is?

I heard a rumor that the troopers were considering taking a small brown away from a hunter because it still had milk teeth. The reason being that its thought to be in its second year of life and as such a cub. That bear squared around 6'. What did ADF&G say about the bear's size/age when you had it sealed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too am wondering what may make one part of a bear edible while other parts make you gag. Maybe the fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Gunner View Post
    I heard a rumor that the troopers were considering taking a small brown away from a hunter because it still had milk teeth. The reason being that its thought to be in its second year of life and as such a cub. That bear squared around 6'. What did ADF&G say about the bear's size/age when you had it sealed?

Milk teeth in a 6' bear?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Milk teeth in a 6' bear?
    That was the story from the troopers...

I have no idea and you couldn't tell from opening a package what was bad or good.

ADFG said on mine they would have to send teeth out to determine year of life because the skull plate was in a somewhere between size and they had no idea.