Thread: 6 Volt Batteries

Default 6 Volt Batteries

I am considering purchasing 6 volt batteries for my trailer so that I don't have to run my generator as much. Any suggestions/recommendations from people with experience doing this? Thanks in advance.

I run 6 volt batteries in my motorhome and they work great, have had the set that is in it for about 10 years now. They are getting replaced this year. One thing to remember is that your trailer is a 12 volt system and if one of your 6 volt batteries goes bad then you are SOL, I run 4 of them in my motorhome to eliminate the problem.

Replacing a 12v battery with two 6v batteries is a good choice as long as you have room.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor fanatic View Post
    I run 6 volt batteries in my motorhome and they work great, have had the set that is in it for about 10 years now. They are getting replaced this year. One thing to remember is that your trailer is a 12 volt system and if one of your 6 volt batteries goes bad then you are SOL, I run 4 of them in my motorhome to eliminate the problem.
    Depending on what the problem is having 4 batteries does not guarantee you will not loose power. It will depend on what the problem is and how the batteries are wire. The good news is a shorted cell are do not happen that often.

I run 2 6 volts in my truck camper, I've gone 5 days without running a generator to recharge. They are taller than a 12V and much heavier, but last much longer. Batteries Plus on International had everything I needed to connect them.

Thanks for the replies. It appears that I have enough room (height too) for the two batteries. I will check out Batteries Plus.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Check out Costco for 6v Interstate batteries.

Great idea, thanks.

I checked out the Costco batteries and they cost $83.99 but they didn't state how many amp hours it is rated for. I have also seen many other batteries up to $179.99 (Trojan) that had 250 amp hours. I'm guessing that the Costco batteries are about 215 amp hours. Not sure if the it is worth doubling the price of the battery to get about 35 more amp hours. The Trojan battery came with a five year warranty. Any suggestions?

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I put the Costco 6v Interstate in our RV in 2013. They have worked without any problems. They even went two years in storage on a float charger and had no issues.

Thanks. I will likely go with the Costco batteries.