Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg Vs. Remington

Default Mossberg Vs. Remington

I am in the market for my first shotgun (12g.). I plan to use it this fall for hunting grouse and ptarmigan. I am trying to decide between the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. Any advice?

Wink

Both guns have been used and given, to the next generation of hunters! Good luck with your decision.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Both

I am partial to the Mossberg, but you can't go wrong with either choice. The Remingtons seem to be more common. Good luck.

Default Tough choice!!!!

That's like Ford or Chevy ask 10 people get 10 different answers. Well here's my experience. I was raised on Remington, I carried an 870 my dad carried an 1100. Best guns "realistic" money could buy. However, now I carry a Mossberg 500 for two reasons. First, I'm left handed and it's hard to find left handed guns. Mossburg 500 has the safety on the tang works left or right handed with the thumb. Right handed Remington safety is by the trigger and I have to wrap my left hand under to push it through. If you are right handed it's pretty irrelivant. Reason number two with Mossburg I was able to get more gun for my money. I got the combo 28" ported barrel and an 18" barrel and a pistol grip if I choose to put it on. So now I have a good bird gun and a good bear protection gun all in the same gun. This combo is pretty common around town (Walmart, Fred Myer, etc) and the full set was $297. Brand new remmington one barrel (great gun) just over $300.
    My opinion you can't go wrong with either gun and both will be around long enough to pass down to your kids and probably grandkids.
    Come to think of it buy one of each, a guy can never have to many guns.

Mossberg 500 12 gauge was my first gun and I still love it and I don't think you can go wrong.

If I were going to buy an upland bird gun today I would look for an 870 special field with the straight stock. I believe they have been discontinued but I'm sure one can be found.

Default apples and oranges

Mossburg is cheaper, but they'll both work. I have both and use an old browning double automatic instead. I would suggest a 20 guage instead as a 12 is not needed and neither is the extra wieght considering the walking you will be doing. I use a cylinder choke but skeet will work too and a 2 3/4 20 gauge loaded with 7/8 oz. 8 or 7 1/2 shot will drop a grouse cleanly.

Both are good brands, and I have both. Mossbergs will feel less smooth, even "cheaper" at first, but that's temporary. Use the a little bit and the actions gets silky smooth and fast. The biggest plus for the Mossberg 500 is the safety on top of the tang rather than down in the trigger guard like the Remington. It's a lot easier to get to for fast shooting, since it's right there under your thumb when you swing up the gun.

If you're a lefty, the Mossberg will work great as-is, while you'll probably wish you had paid extra for the left-handed version if you bought Remington, or else tracked down a conversion kit for a left-handed safety.

If waterfowl hunting is never going to be on your list, I'd definitely go for the 20 gauge. But if you go waterfowling some day, you'll end up buying another gun in 12 gauge, most likely. The trade off is for a lightweight, fast handling gun for ptarmigan and grouse.

Have both guns......the Remington being a 20g is a little lighter. I have used both of them on ducks, pheasant, and a whole array of small game. The above post are correct saying the Mossberg will feel cheaper at first but it would be the one I would grab if I knew I was going to spend a day belly crawling across a field to get on some geese. The Mossberg is a tank of a gun. I also say buy em' both.

My dad bought a pair of Mossberg 500's for me for $100 back when I was young, we took the good stock and actions and mated them, then sold the other gun to my buddy for $50. Its my old hillbilly gun, but I've used it for everything and anything. Tough old gun. I really do like 870s though, they seem to me to be superior, but if you hold both and can't tell the difference the Mossberg will do fine. Neither is gonna break on you, but if it does you can fix those pumps for next to nothing, theres been a million of them made.

Oh and for the record, I turn 24 on the 25th so I'm not as old as that post sounded... I've had the gun for about ten years.

Are you trying to stir up a hornet's nest?

I've owned both. I currently only own a Remington, but I am thinking about picking up a Moss 835. Get the one you like better. I personally don't like the location of the safety on the Remington. But I like the feel better.

You really can't go wrong with either one. Get the one you really like. And if you still kind of wishing you had the other one, then you were obviously meant to own both.

Talking Rem870

I was given a Rem.870 12ga on my birthday twenty two years ago.I have hunted dove,rabbit,squirrel,deer,pheasant,and other stuff I cant remember all over the USA and in Korea.My 870 has made it through ten years of goose and duck hunting in Alaskan marshes.I even take off the 28inch barrel and slap on an 18inch barrel and she becomes my constant companion during summer bush outings.Most all the blue has worn off and the stock is dinged up a bit but the action is silky smooth,she has been 99.9% reliable all these years.If and when she wears out I will of course replace her with a new 870.Over the years I have had a couple of friends that used mossberg and they seemed like good shooters but I never really liked the feel of them,good luck on your choice.

Default Both are good

Both are tried and true. I think the Remington is much better tho, as it is smoother, and just fits right. The Mossbrg feels blocky to me, but it is a great value and is also tried and true. Whatever you buy, it will serve you many years. I have an 870 that I got as a birthday present in 1973 that is a good as it was new. The only thing I have done to it was get some newer barrels for it. It came with an unvented full choke, which was just too much on rabbits, squerrels and doves. I have a vented Rem choke hunting barrel and an 18 1/2 inch barrel for when I put a pistol grip on it and carry it while fishing.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I had the same dilemma but I decided on the mossberg 500 due to price diff from the 870 express.

I will see tomorrow on opening day af grouse and ptarmigan how well it works out

its a great value for what you get..

2 barrels

3 chokes.

pistol grip

and I paid 280 on post for it rather than 450 for the Rem 870

Default price differences

I guess Im lucky I bought my 870 express in the lower 48. I paid $225 dollars for mine brand new in 2003. I hadnt really priced guns up here yet, I had no idea the price differences. Setting that aside though I think both models will kill critters just as dead as each other. I think you will get a bit more versatility out of the mossburg 500 but I think the Remington is a bit better made. Either way, they are both good guns. Good luck in your choice.

Smile Mossberg

First Shotgun I bought and 15 years later is still my favorite shotgun. Although my son keeps trying to take it a make it his favorite. Also is the best all around shotgun I have used. Great on Birds, Deer and for bear defense.

Default Remington 870

I would get the 870 for sure. ive had one for many years and the gun has never failed to discharge even after i droped it in duck waters. get the remington 870 express 2/34-3 with a mod choke and #6 shot. you will never get tired of shooting upland birds $ 360 $ and worth it! Hope you have a great hunting year

Default 35 + years on my Rem 870

I'm hunting with an 870 that my dad bought some 30+ yrs ago. Just last fall my wife took her first ever game bird with it. It's still tough as ever and still going strong. I spend a few days in a 8 man duck camp every fall, and to a man, every one of us shoots a Rem 870. Our camp spans 3 generations of duck hunters. IMHO, go with the 870.

That being said, my little brother has a Moss 500 and loves it. You probably cant go wrong.

Again apples and oranges but I'm partical to the 870 first shot gun and still preforming. What dose give me pause is the 12ga. Kinda allot of gun for grouse or ptarmigan, personally 20ga, 28ga or even a 410 would be my choice before a 12ga.

Why would you pay 400+ for a 870 when you could get a far superior shotgun called the benelli nova. Best value and best pump in my openion. I started out with a MB 500 and have used the 870 express. But, the benelli has never falied to smash the primer. Even getting freezing ice spray build up while late season duck hunting, it always works. I also find it points right where I want it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast