Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did Winchester ruin the model 92?

Default Why did Winchester ruin the model 92?

I went back to Brownells for another look at a real nice older model 92 in 44 mag. Well, it was gone but the sales guy was all excited because the guy that got it traded in a newer one for the old one. The young over zealous salesman acted like the guy was crazy for trading off a newer one on the older one. He showed it to me and I said it was a very smart move on his part. I told him that putting a tag safety right behind the hammer ruined that gun in the eyes of most lever action purists. I told him that I always get excited when I see a Winchester 92 unless it has the tang safety then it is of no interest to me! I told him to watch the reaction of folk when they pick that gun up and look at the safety.

Is there any aftermarket solutions to getting rid of that ugly tang safety on the new Winchester 92's?

YES..........A fold down sight.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I went back to Brownells for another look at a real nice older model 92 in 44 mag. Well, it was gone but the sales guy was all excited because the guy that got it traded in a newer one for the old one. The young over zealous salesman acted like the guy was crazy for trading off a newer one on the older one. He showed it to me and I said it was a very smart move on his part. I told him that putting a tag safety right behind the hammer ruined that gun in the eyes of most lever action purists. I told him that I always get excited when I see a Winchester 92 unless it has the tang safety then it is of no interest to me! I told him to watch the reaction of folk when they pick that gun up and look at the safety.

Is there any aftermarket solutions to getting rid of that ugly tang safety on the new Winchester 92's?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    YES..........A fold down sight.

I have a wide hand. The peeps look good but are they in the way of your hand at all? Looks to me like that sight would be right where the web betwixt my thumb and trigger finger would rest....maybe not. I am at my office right now but I'm going to grab up a 92 when I get home and see just where my had does go.

Those are dandy looking peep sights........and they make my wheels turn! Ha!

Well, I haven't even seen a new Win 92 and it sounds like I may not even want to. They actually put a safety on the tang? I guess I shouldn't be surprised what with all the sewers around. Sewers is what my dad used to call the sue happy folks that think every thing should be idiot proof. I'm surprised they can even sell sharp knives anymore. A guy could cut himself ya know. Problem is when you build something idiot proof they just go and make some better idiots. Some folks shouldn't be allowed to play with marbles let alone knives or guns. I swear I've seen folks dumb enough to cut their self on the sharp edge of a marble.
    My Rossi 92 had a funny looking safety on top of the bolt. It's got a peep sight there now. I'm not a lever gun purist but some things just don't belong on a 92 Win or even a clone for that matter. I think I'll go have a headache.

[QUOTE=rbuck351;1541105] Problem is when you build something idiot proof they just go and make some better idiots.

Now that right there is fuuuuunnny! I once watched a Grinnell College Professor buy an H&R slug gun and some 3 inch slugs to shoot out of it. He then bought a 4x rimfire scope to go with it. I told him that wouldn't work so well but he got offended and didn't even let me explain. Two days later I finished my business at the post office window and turned to leave only to see the College Wiz bang standing in line nehind me with a big ole patch covering his right eye. I smiled and said scope got ya didn't it......tried to tell ya and gave him a wink. I don't care if that guys gun had 4 safeties, a log chain with 3 pad-o-locks and grarage door opener on it he'd still get hurt some how.

The new Winchesters look kinda like the new Mossberg lever guns with that butt ugly tang safety. I have never seen anyone accidently cock the hammer with their thumb and then accidently pull the trigger with their booger pickin finger. Heck you could shoot yourself in the leg with a Glock and not even have a thumb. I can't figure out why a rifle would need a hammer and a safety when many pistols don't have either.

The reason is that some people let the Hammer "SLIP" when they are de-cocking the firearm (Lowering the hammer). I am more freaked out that the safety would be on, in a bear charge. So I just taped the safety into the off position, and live happily with my Winchester M-92 takedown octagon 16" barrel .45 Colt. However I do "Loath" that steel buttplate.

[QUOTE=elmerkeithclone;1541124]
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I can't figure out why a rifle would need a hammer and a safety when many pistols don't have either.

It's (the tang safety) for idiots like my ex m.i.l. who I caught walking around with her old thutty-thutty with the hammer back. She said she always hunted that way so she'd 'be ready.' Yeah, I never hunted around her again. She's another kind of stupid.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I just ignore the safeties and go on doing what I've been doing. If it was a "bear" gun I'd probably block the safety (dab of epoxy), but for small game guns? Meh....

If I was so set against them, I wouldn't me shooting a Marlin 25-20 or a Winnie 94 in 25-35. I was just proud to find new guns in models and calibers I wanted, and folks don't have to look at the safeties if they don't want to see them.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I just ignore the safeties and go on doing what I've been doing. If it was a "bear" gun I'd probably block the safety (dab of epoxy), but for small game guns? Meh....

If I was so set against them, I wouldn't me shooting a Marlin 25-20 or a Winnie 94 in 25-35. I was just proud to find new guns in models and calibers I wanted, and folks don't have to look at the safeties if they don't want to see them.
    +1. Not to mention the workmanship, fit and finish of the new guns it top shelf.

The 92 safety is easily removed, requiring only the removal of a single small bolt. It takes less than five minutes start to finish and requires no mods to the lockwork of any kind. The remaining channel can either be filled with a blank, or something decorative, or covered by the foot of a peep sight...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Do they still have a just barely cocked notch? I haven't seen a lot of revolvers with safeties. I wonder why that isn't a problem like the Winchester is. Do peoples thumbs just not slip off revolver hammers like they do on rifles? I took the safety off my Rossi 92 454 and made a peep to replace it. I'm happy with the trade and my thumb hasn't slipped of the hammer yet. Wouldn't matter if it did slip though cause I don't point it at things I don't want to shoot. It came with a nice butt pad and it's a good thing cause I don't believe I could take a steel butt plate on that one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Most of the newer revolvers and some SS rifles have Transfer Bars, but that's for in case the gun is dropped on the hammer.

It is claimed that the Safety Notch is inadequate in that, it can break when the hammer is hit. One scenario, is, the hunter is climbing a hill and loses his rifle,m which slides down the hill backwards at which time the hammer is struck, the gun fires when it is pointed in your direction.

I owned a Puma 92 with a lil safety on the bolt. Like you, I simply ignored it. I never had it be on unexpectedly, like the Cross Bolt safety on a Marlin, so it wasn't an issue.

I don't carry with a round in the chamber, but if I did, I'd consider the hammer safety notch on a LA, perfectly adequate.

IF, a rifle has a safety and uses it, the Tang is a good place for it, BUT NOT on a LA. Say, you're carrying with the chamber loaded, are you gonna have the safety on and the hammer cocked?

The safety off and the hammer down?

OR the hammer down and the safety on?

Life is complex enough already. I DUNNO WHY, these manufacturers don't just work on the safety notch function, instead of ruining a great rifle design. Winchester hasn't done anything right since before the 60s.

I donít want ANYTHING from Winchester after that time.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I had an unexpected bad experience with my Marlin XLR 4570 a couple weeks ago at a family get together where we wuz a shoot'n many different guns. I had thrown in the 4570 and a box of ammo I wuz a want'n to get rid of and in a rush loaded 4 and went to tryin to shoot it. Load, cock - click! Did that 4 times and kept looking at the primers - no dents - I thought dang firing pin is not contacting? Slipped it in a case and later that night I took it out to look over and whammo - I totally forgot about the cross bolt safety! Could not believe it as I have taken deer and bears with that gun and never messed up - but my first thought wuz what if in a pinch I had forgot in a serious situation - well I guess I would get either et up or trampled into the mud...
    I think if a person hunted a lot with it no problem but for the occasional use gun it could be a issue? Although I may be getting senile too???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I had an unexpected bad experience with my Marlin XLR 4570 a couple weeks ago at a family get together where we wuz a shoot'n many different guns. I had thrown in the 4570 and a box of ammo I wuz a want'n to get rid of and in a rush loaded 4 and went to tryin to shoot it. Load, cock - click! Did that 4 times and kept looking at the primers - no dents - I thought dang firing pin is not contacting? Slipped it in a case and later that night I took it out to look over and whammo - I totally forgot about the cross bolt safety! Could not believe it as I have taken deer and bears with that gun and never messed up - but my first thought wuz what if in a pinch I had forgot in a serious situation - well I guess I would get either et up or trampled into the mud...
    I think if a person hunted a lot with it no problem but for the occasional use gun it could be a issue? Although I may be getting senile too???
    I worked with a Marlin, belonging to a friend, one time ago, and that's what happens with that kinda safety, some of them have. They seem to go on accidently??? Not only that, but it is something that is unexpected by a NORMAL gun person.

Do not fail to disable it. There are ways that will not damage your gun.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I hunted the northern Mo. woods for years with an 1894 Malin 44 mag...the old style. Then last year I grabbed one off the rack at my buddies shop and went to shoot it and did the same exact thing. It was new to me and I just threw it in. The purpose of the trip was for the kids to shoot their guns so I put it away. Then when I got home and started to take it appart for a look see my grandson pointed at the safety and said whats that for grandpa. You could knocked me over with a feather.....I felt more than a little stupid.

Smokey are there any rooms vaccant next to yours in that retirement joint? We might even get moved to that wing where the crazies would think we were crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I hunted the northern Mo. woods for years with an 1894 Malin 44 mag...the old style. Then last year I grabbed one off the rack at my buddies shop and went to shoot it and did the same exact thing. It was new to me and I just threw it in. The purpose of the trip was for the kids to shoot their guns so I put it away. Then when I got home and started to take it appart for a look see my grandson pointed at the safety and said whats that for grandpa. You could knocked me over with a feather.....I felt more than a little stupid.

Smokey are there any rooms vaccant next to yours in that retirement joint? We might even get moved to that wing where the crazies would think we were crazy!
    IME, howbeit limited, those things WILL go on. You will not put it on, knowingly, or imagine you could have done it accidentally, but it will be ON, and your gun won't go boom. If you are stoopid, a lot of other folks are also.

If they keep you and Smokey separate, it'll probably be OK, but if you two guys are together we're talking catastrophic calamity.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

EKC, Is there much demand or market for the newer Winchester M-92's down there........???

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    IME, howbeit limited, those things WILL go on. You will not put it on, knowingly, or imagine you could have done it accidentally, but it will be ON, and your gun won't go boom. If you are stoopid, a lot of other folks are also.

If they keep you and Smokey separate, it'll probably be OK, but if you two guys are together we're talking catastrophic calamity.

SOTN
    You are correct Smitty, ya know last summer EKC, me, and our princesses were doin some hiking in N IL at Starved Rock State Park. When we came off of one trail we overheard some feller saying he had seen a couple real boobs walking with two fine ladies on the trail. Well, EKC and I kept a sharp eye out for them nut jobs but never did lay eyes on them, we reckon they wondered off a cliff or something - but we had a hoot just jawing about it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

EKC, Is there much demand or market for the newer Winchester M-92's down there........???
    Sorry I'm slow to respond. I've been more busy than a cat covering scat on a hot tin roof.

Actually I have several friends that have 92s of one make or another. Butch has one in 45 and mine is 44 but most of the 92s around here are 357/38 specials.

I don't think there is any following with the young crowd here-a-bouts just us geezers that appreciate fine old guns of yesteryear.

Thanks for that information. I am trying to decide about putting mine on Gunbroker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    You are correct Smitty, ya know last summer EKC, me, and our princesses were doin some hiking in N IL at Starved Rock State Park. When we came off of one trail we overheard some feller saying he had seen a couple real boobs walking with two fine ladies on the trail. Well, EKC and I kept a sharp eye out for them nut jobs but never did lay eyes on them, we reckon they wondered off a cliff or something - but we had a hoot just jawing about it!
    I sure hope those old coots didn't wander off the beaten path and have to do em a nature call cuz the only thing growing in that park asides the trees was poison ivy and it ain't for shucks as bung fodder. I believe I'd come home minus a sock in such a situation.

I'm guessing they're still out there with all their crevices full of ivy and ticks....mercy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast