Thread: Float hunt gear tune up...

Default Float hunt gear tune up...

I realize there are threads that probably have most this info, but figured a consolidated thread would be helpful.

I've done this a lot, and my gear keeps getting better... an area I am looking to improve is winch/come along.

I ALWAYS carry a rope come along... I need it, as I hunt alone, and even rolling a big moose cannot be done alone.

I'm looking though at instead of the come along, carry a chain saw, and cainsaw winch.

What line can be used in a chain saw winch? Can I use low diameter spectra? The pile of half inch line I carry for the come along is pretty big.

A small chainsaw seems to make sense.. though, then I am dependent on the saw running... which it may not if I turn my canoe over.

Also first aid... I need to tune this up... and always open to raft repair upgrades...

I use a PR-49 to get out, as the canoe alone lacks the flotation .. two moose extracted with the canoe/PR-49... two 5-6 inch repair needed grrr.... a 10 pound raft has it's limitations... as long as I can repair it... I think it works.... I used tape last year.... and was able to float again in an hour.. the year before I made camp, and waited 18 hours for glue to cure...

Tear-aid can be your friend.

I have a little tool called a Para-pull that is nice for loads when boating or hunting alone. I looks like they are re-doing the website but http://www.adventureengineering.com had some nice light come-alongs and block and tackle sets.

I carry a rescue rope, throw bag, and a few pully's and prusiks that are always good for moving boats, logs, animals.

I've heard of tear-aid.. good for urethane? I had urethane tape this year, and tyvek tape... got me out.

I saw several types of this tape... seems reasonably priced... I'll try it!

Also on pulleys, and gadgets... I'd like to explore this more. My son uses several little things to tighten a slack line... I'd imagine this is similar? I'll look at that link... thank you..

As far as first aid goes look no further than:

www.safetyed.net

Deb Ajango (eye-on-go) is the owner/instructor. She is a very well respected, internationally known, wilderness risk management expert, and wilderness medical expert & instructor. She uses the Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) curriculum as part of her classes. (NOLS uses Wilderness Medical Institute (WMI)). Both are equivalent with minor differences and are the standard in wilderness medicine.

I recommend taking the course called Wilderness First Responder (WFR). I still remember the course I took in 1998 like it was yesterday. If you spend a lot of time in the wilderness, it will be worth it.

remember....safety third!!

Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post
    As far as first aid goes look no further than:

www.safetyed.net

Deb Ajango (eye-on-go) is the owner/instructor. She is a very well respected, internationally known, wilderness risk management expert, and wilderness medical expert & instructor. She uses the Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) curriculum as part of her classes. (NOLS uses Wilderness Medical Institute (WMI)). Both are equivalent with minor differences and are the standard in wilderness medicine.

I recommend taking the course called Wilderness First Responder (WFR). I still remember the course I took in 1998 like it was yesterday. If you spend a lot of time in the wilderness, it will be worth it.

remember....safety third!!
    Yea, I will look for an opportunity to take this course, sounds great. You could definitely find yourself in a life or death situation hunting Alaska. I try to slow down, and think before I move, but crap happens. I cut my knee down to the patella tendon a few years back, and was pretty sure I wasn't going to be able to get out(50 miles of river, and three portages)... super glue/neosporin, after a good clean out worked. An infection gets into your joint, you can loose the joint on hours..

Had I been forced to call for medivac.... I know you have to leave all your gear. I imagine you leave the meat as well? Are you then liable for wanton waste? I'd be sick if I had to leave a moose in the field to rot..