Thread: Which 450 Marlin load for black bear?

Default Which 450 Marlin load for black bear?

Hornady FTX 325gr - 3570 ft lbs energy
    or
    Cast Performance WLNGC 420gr - 2850 ft lbs energy

which load for black bear and why ?

Bait? Spot/stalk? Either one will kill a black bear dead without too much trouble.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Bait, 50 to 70 yds maximum. I understand either load will get the job done, and I realize dead is dead... just weighing the pros and cons of each.
    😀

Hornady bullets tend to expansion really easily.... but with the 450 you're not talking super high impact speeds anyway and a little expansion is a good thing unless you start trying to break something big down.

The Cast load is going to punch clean through. With straight shooting either would work- but on black bears I think I'd rather have the expansion, particularly on bait where you get to do some really deliberate shooting- put one through the lung from quartering away and I doubt there would be much need to track one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Between the two, I think it's just a matter of shot placement. For the FTX I would only shoot broadside into the lungs. With the hardcast I would aim for shoulders.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

This sort of post just cracks me up ...seriously, It's like asking which 30-06 load is best for raccoon. If you hit it with a big ol' bullet it's gonna die. End of story. One bullet or another ain't gonna make it any more or less dead.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
    Well that was unnecessary.

Sure is disappointing to see long standing members flushing the forum down the toilet.....

To the OP...
    The Only Stupid Question Is The One That Goes Unasked

Good luck on your hunt.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

This sort of post just cracks me up ...seriously, It's like asking which 30-06 load is best for raccoon. If you hit it with a big ol' bullet it's gonna die. End of story. One bullet or another ain't gonna make it any more or less dead.

I guess it's pretty ridiculous for ammo manufacturers to put weight and ballistic info on the box too... After all, you can tell if it's a big ol bullet just by looking!

Durn signature line just won't come up in a different font. Stupid tapatalk

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Durn signature line just won't come up in a different font. Stupid tapatalk

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
    I knew it was your signature, so I wasn't bothered at all. But I'm pretty sure there is a black bear out there somewhere who's feelings are hurt over being compared to a raccoon !

Well the FTX did its job on the black bear I shot last week. 50 yd shot and passed through, but it shed its jacket in the process.

Being less than impressed with the jacket separation I loaded up some 300gr Barnes TTSX using H4198 and chronographed them yesterday.
    2350 fps / 3679 ft lb

i think these new loads should be just fine for whatever needs to be shot within 150 yards 🙂