Thread: New Boat, not happy with performance

Default New Boat, not happy with performance

Just a question. Just bought a brand new boat (1860 Alumacraft). I used to have an older 14' with a 35 2 stroke jet. Anyway the dealer said a 60/40 jet would be plenty and ordered the boat. The dealer put it together, and then I took it out for the first time. Really wish I would have gone with a 90/65. I have only about 2-3 hours on the motor, is this something that most dealers would be ok to swap out? paying the difference in cost of the motor obviously. Just do not want to have to sell a brand new motor as 'used' to get the power I want.

I don't Buy a car without a test drive, and I wouldn't buy a boat with out a test drive..

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sudopratt View Post
    Just a question. Just bought a brand new boat (1860 Alumacraft). I used to have an older 14' with a 35 2 stroke jet. Anyway the dealer said a 60/40 jet would be plenty and ordered the boat. The dealer put it together, and then I took it out for the first time. Really wish I would have gone with a 90/65. I have only about 2-3 hours on the motor, is this something that most dealers would be ok to swap out? paying the difference in cost of the motor obviously. Just do not want to have to sell a brand new motor as 'used' to get the power I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    I don't Buy a car without a test drive, and I wouldn't buy a boat with out a test drive..

Tom
    So how do you buy a new boat then? A lot of places don't rig the boat until you pay for it. I had to pay before they would put it together. Also comparing a car to a boat is not a good comparison. You know when you buy a car that it will drive pretty similar with some friends and some luggage in the car. But a boat, do you haul a bunch of gear and some friends down to the dealer and load it in the boat for a test drive?

But regardless of how you would buy a boat, it does not answer my question. Will has anyone returned or swapped out a motor with a dealer with a few hours on the motor?

Well at my marina we have boats rigged and ready for a test drive before a customer buys. Do they get a chance to load it to the gils before purchasing? No, but at least you know how a boat runs and handles before laying down the cash. If you want a combination outside of the boats in stock you drive a boat rigged close to what you are buying.

As for returning a motor that was purchased and used, I have not had that problem due to the sales process and education and test drive before taking a customers money.

Tom

So how do you buy a new boat then? A lot of places don't rig the boat until you pay for it. I had to pay before they would put it together. Also comparing a car to a boat is not a good comparison. You know when you buy a car that it will drive pretty similar with some friends and some luggage in the car. But a boat, do you haul a bunch of gear and some friends down to the dealer and load it in the boat for a test drive?

But regardless of how you would buy a boat, it does not answer my question. Will has anyone returned or swapped out a motor with a dealer with a few hours on the motor?

Sounds like it really doesn't matter if another dealer would swap it, only if yours will. I would go down and have a discussion with the dealer before you put any more hours on it and see what they can do for you. At minimum, it seems they would be able to find a buyer willing to take a smaller discount than you would have to take selling it on Craigslist.

What's the issue with the boat? What kind of numbers are ya gettin? As they say no replacement for displacement and no one ever gripes about too much hp.
    I'd get it right back and get on em; they should know what they're selling and the performance to expect or not to expect.
    I don't have any jet experience but seems light for that boat. My pal just bought a 16' Jon with that same motor. Runnin a prop on it it's scary fast and skips on the water, he's waiting on the jet unit to arrive to try it.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

that combo if you get the weight forward enough so it planes quickly will move around two people and some gear at about 24 mph.
    the only thing you believe from the salesman is what he is showing you in person that you can see. not because he is dishonest but because he likely doesnt know.

It's a bum deal bro, your best bet might be to try and sell it and then buy a new motor or trade up with the dealer you bought it from

Contact the dealer. I'm sure they'll step up and help you figure it out. Where are you located?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I have a SeaArk 1860 with a Honda 90/65. Yup the width really means you need more HP. A 60/40 is enough HP for an 1852 or 1848 and 2 people with day trip fishing gear. I have a good friend who used to own a lodge up on the Nushugak and he ran 60/40s on the 1852. The 1860s are 2x the boat he says when he first went out on mine. But man I can haul a load 4 guys on skinny water are no problem. I added transom wedges to help hop out of the hole.

I hope you can get the motor swapped out. I you can't move the fuel tank to the front, as well as the battery, and make any passengers ride more up towards the front. My guests sit on a cooler forward of amidship. If you can make sure the boat while at rest floats level fore and aft.

Sobie2

.. .am i looking at the right boat/model?. ... isnt
    the 1860 rated for 115 hp?...why would a dealer put together
    this package and say it will work?(prob just barely)....i MUST be looking at the wrong boat!!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

If I am seeing the right skiff, the AW site they says it weighs 625lbs and max HP is 50. So if this is the actual case, (http://www.alumacraft.com/171/1/2016...t-1860-Tiller/) then the dealer was not leading the client astray given the decrease in HP with prop HP vis a vis jet. Can the OP confirm this to avoid speculation?

If it's a Yamaha motor I might be interested in buying it off you. PM if so..

Why do dealers always want to rig a boat with less then what the max capacity plate calls for??

Depending what boat the op has in this case he actually may have only got a little more then 50% of the max power rating. I have learned a long time ago. "Rig the boat for max capacity" because chances are we are going to "LOAD" it to max capacity. AND I will say it.....if you are trying to save money then may want to consider saving up or going another direction. Skimping in the engine department in most cases will not make you very happy in the end. Seen to many boats heavily loaded and struggling to get on step or worse loaded and a following sea during my time on the water.

Some rivers have hp limits, and if during talking with a dealer someone states they want to use the boat on a river with a limit. Maybe.