Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grayling pictures

Default grayling pictures

hey guys/galls here are some pictures of some grayling I caught the other day...being from Ga these fish are a blast to catch....granted they're not to most selective fish but none of the less their color is beautiful

Wow beautiful fish, My wife and I love to fish for them. The colors in the dorsal is always beautifiul. If you dont mind sharing may I ask where you were fishing.
    Chuck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

not at all...its no secret I just went and hoped in on the chena and had a blast.

Richie

Thnaks Richie. Appreciate you sharing your pics and info.

Default more pics

hey guys here is another grayling from todays trip up the river...the fishing really turned on when the storm came rolling in today...the change in the pressure really turned these fish on

Default grayling dorsal fins

I've caught my fare share of grayling up here and all the grayling's dorsal fins have been square shaped and not very large. The grayling have been various sizes (6-19in.) so is the large rounded dorsal fin due to the location of the fish?

not really sure....I caught both of those fish in the same river only about 100 yards apart...not sure though...good question...maybe the age of the fish? Male or female...I have no idea

Richie

Thanks Ritchie.............drifting nymphs

no majority of the fish came on dries...stimulator #14, yellow sally #12, EHC #12 but had to use nymphs for high sticking in some of the fast water but I was having some luck with: a golden stone fly #16, hares ear #16 and a PT soft hackle #14

none of the less it was a fun day on the river

Richie

Again Ritchie great fish pics. Just beautiful grayling. I do believe the Different dorsals are due to the sex of the fish. Again stunning fish and im sure they were a blast on the light gear

Nice pictures.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Some dandy greyling for sure! Do any of you fellas fish the gulkana or other rivers in that area for greyling? I'll be up there in september, and my buddy I'm visiting should have a pretty good idea of where to start, but any info would be greatly appreciated- I'm trying to do my homework so we've got a lot of options when I get there. I'd like to spend a week or so backpacking for greyling and dollys too if possible but I'm not sure exactly what that region has to offer. Not looking for any secret spots but any general info would be great.

Thanks again, and tight lines!

Default square fined greyling?

Where did you catch greyling with square dorsal fin? I don't think I have ever seen one. All the greyling I have ever caught had a large rounded dorsal fin.

Default Might Just Be Round WHite Fish

not trying to say they were not graylign but the dorsal you are descibing sounds more along the lines of Alaska's Round White fish ranging from 12-20 inches is not that uncommon and they are in most the Interior streams all the way down to the Gulkana.

:-)

Default fins

I have caught grayling in several differant locations- symphony lake, denali highway, fielding lake near paxson, eureka, some random lakes in the lake louise area. Not 1 of these fish had a fin even close to the grayling in the first pic.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    ...the fishing really turned on when the storm came rolling in today...the change in the pressure really turned these fish on....
    Yup. It seems to be so even in winter. They get more excited when a low starts.

Great photos!

Sex of the fish, Males typically have a larger fin than females. Sometimes injuries can change the shape ot the fin. They are all nice fish! I miss having access to grayling and casting dry flies.
    Dave

Default A few more pics

I recently went up to the Denali highway for the first time and tried my hand at flyfishing as well. Mine was more for a photography trip, but also to learn a little. Here are some of the images I came away with. Nothing big, but alot of fun!

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

those are great pics.
    Hmm those fins aren't as big as some I've seen I wonder what determins that? How big were these fish?

Default Gender?

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    those are great pics.
    Hmm those fins aren't as big as some I've seen I wonder what determins that? How big were these fish?
    Male vs female grayling and genetics maybe?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast