Thread: No bears yet any advice?

Default No bears yet any advice?

So I'm getting a little discouraged about my stand cause I have yet to see any bears yet. My bait is set up on the side of a hill kind of in a valley close the a creek. I have all my scent stuff out and it's been out for month and I haven't seen anything. I have a friend who is about 8 miles away and he has a bear at his and he is not really doing anything different than me. I have to go through a little tundra to get to my stand and it's a new area I set up. Am I not in a good spot? I feel like I should just pack up and find a different area any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What game unit are you baiting in............and what are you baiting for.......Blacks or Browns or Both.....????

20b and I am going for black bears but if a grizzly shows up I don't mind

How new is your bait? If it's really new just be patient. Sometimes takes a bit to establish some traffic. That's why they call it hunting and not killing.

I just posted this on another thread but I will repeat it here. Have you established a scent trail? I usually take 4-5 old socks (clean) tie them together at the top with a 5 ft rope and take chip grease (any strong sent will do) and dip the socks in the grease and drag it in many directions for a long way. If a bear crosses the grease trail, they will follow it back to your bait and if an animal crosses the grease trail and get it on their feet, they will extend your sent trail even farther. The farther I take the sent trail the more bears I see and take.

Hope this helps

Bearbob

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Advice - relax!! Patience and lots of scent are your friends...and it's not possible to have too much of either.

I have had my stuff out since the beginning of May and I have done some scent trails up hill from me and by the creek and partially down the trail I came in on about half of it. I also cooked some bacon grease out there and some other stuff. I just seems like a month and not one thing is crazy but I'll keep checking it. I'm just trying to see if anyone think I'm doing anything wrong.

I have had my stuff out since the beginning of May and I have done some scent trails up hill from me and by the creek and partially down the trail I came in on about half of it. I also cooked some bacon grease out there and some other stuff. I just seems like a month and not one thing is crazy but I'll keep checking it. I'm just trying to see if anyone think I'm doing anything wrong. Uh

It could just be the year! Some years the bears come in right away and some years they take their time. Mine has not been hit yet either, but when it's does get hit I'm sure they will keep coming back. Just be patient. And keep a positive attitude! Even if they don't hit it this year, you have learned and next year will be better!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Still early in the year, despite the very warm spring we've had. There's many spots in the state that its very rare to get a bear till June. That's why the season end got pushed to June 30 from June 15.

The last time I baited, I had my bait out three weeks before I had a bear hit it, and it was May 31st. Keep applying scent.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I wouldn't worry yet. Here in 20B we've only had grass growing for a week and a half or so. Bears are still milling around getting their digestive systems running. Won't be long and they'll be on the move and I'm sure you'll get some visitors. In past years most bear activity doesn't start til first week of June for us.

I've had it both ways. When I first started my site 6 years ago it wasn't until I was ready to remove my bait and call it a year the last week of June when I got my first hit. I got a small meat bear that year on June 30th. Then every year since I have had hits around first week of June till last year. Last year I got hit by early May and he stopped all together by June 1. I think he found a better offer at someone else's site. This year I still have not had a hit but I expect in the next two weeks I will find something poking around my barrels.
    Good luck and be patient. If you have good smells coming from your bait and refresh weekly with more smell goods they will find it.
    Steve

Just got my first hit on Monday! Just be patient , they will come.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!