Thread: Get in on the Ground Floor. ???

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Get in on the Ground Floor. ???

What do you big boys think of THIS.

http://22lrreloader.com

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Mebbe their priming compound will work consistently and maybe it won't. You'll either have to wait to read about it or try it yourself.

They're waaaaay vague on powder with my quick reading. I know 22lr powder is lots faster than Bullseye and more of a dust than a grain. Mebbe I missed it on a quick read, but I'm more than curious about their reco's.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Mebbe their priming compound will work consistently and maybe it won't. You'll either have to wait to read about it or try it yourself.

They're waaaaay vague on powder with my quick reading. I know 22lr powder is lots faster than Bullseye and more of a dust than a grain. Mebbe I missed it on a quick read, but I'm more than curious about their reco's.
    What seems "vague" to me is the priming. Matchheads, Caps, for cap guns? Gimme a break.

Yeah, they suggest all those different powders, and each would give different performance IF they even ignited.

I conclude,,,,, Doable, but unreliable, unpredictable, and impractical.

A better solution would be a 22 Hornet.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Guy's only trying to make an honest buck in the time of scalping and hoarding, and here we go asking stupid questions.

Don't seem right to undercut commerce like that in an election year, does it.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

While I admit I have no idea how 22 ammo is made. If this turns out to be a reliable way to reload, that's awsome. Heck I might even buy a kit just out of curiosity.

Most of the folks that have bought these kits don't seem to be to happy with them. I think I'll stick with things like 22H and 25/20. Heck, even 223 with a 40gr cast and 4 or 5grs of BE,W231, Red Dot or the like surpasses 22lr and cheaper as well. Been thinking of building a 5.7x28 barrel for a contender. That would be real efficient.

Yup. I'm sitting here with a big ole stack of molds and a ton of lead (literally). With light loads, cases last just about forever when you take care of them. Getting 1400 shots from a pound of powder with my favorite 25-20 load. Primers might be a problem if a guy didn't keep a 2 or 3 year supply on hand, so the big deal of a 22 shortage is a yawner for me. No sense getting all spun up and trying to reload a round I don't shoot much in the first place.
    Merle Haggard

Yup. I'm sitting here with a big ole stack of molds and a ton of lead (literally). With light loads, cases last just about forever when you take care of them. Getting 1400 shots from a pound of powder with my favorite 25-20 load. Primers might be a problem if a guy didn't keep a 2 or 3 year supply on hand, so the big deal of a 22 shortage is a yawner for me. No sense getting all spun up and trying to reload a round I don't shoot much in the first place.
    Me too. I resized 400 ea 32-20 brass to 25-20 this weekend. I think I had some seconds on brass. About every 10th one had a nick in the mouth of the case. looks just like someone stuck one side of their side cutters in the mouth and squeezed. The ding was anywhere from 1/16-1/8th of an inch long. It looks like a split seam or such. I ended up with 350 workable brass. Some,not many, have a wrinkle in the shoulder but I'm guessing it will go away when fire formed. I have another 300 brass ordered so I am pretty committed to making this my 22lr replacement. I am only looking for 1000-1200 fps. Accuracy and brass longivity over velocity for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I think I had some seconds on brass. About every 10th one had a nick in the mouth of the case. looks just like someone stuck one side of their side cutters in the mouth and squeezed. The ding was anywhere from 1/16-1/8th of an inch long. It looks like a split seam or such.
    Huh.... If you're describing what I think you're describing, I think you're 100% right on about that brass. I'd sure keep an eye on the rest of it, even as you dump the ones showing issues right now.

Back in the day I shot a lot of PPC using 38 Special. At 2,500-3,000 rounds a week, you can imagine the hours I put in at the bench along with the hours on the range. I was buying once-fired 38 cases in 25# lots, and with those light loads and some very careful die adjustment I was getting around 20 reloads out of cases. I kept the lots separated (5-gallon buckets), and along about that 20-load mark I'd start seeing a few with tiny little nicks right at the case mouth. Next loading, they'd turn into a full-fledged splits running 1/4 or 1/3 of the way down the case. You could spot every one that split by the change in sound and POI.

I learned to inspect cases carefully as I neared that 20-load mark (loading logs are priceless) and at the first little nick or crease I found in any cases, I'd dump the whole lot and start using the next 25# bucket of brass. I could have stretched case life lots further if I'd wanted to devote even more hours to annealing now and then, but the brass was so cheap I just lived with it.

As I recall those cases were sold to you "once fired." If in fact those are incipient splits, I'd say the cases were more like a gal being a 10-time virgin. You'll want to keep a close eye on the other cases in the lot, if that's the situation, because there will be lots more splits coming down the pike at you. And yet another "if," if those new cases are coming from the same source, I'd be manic about annealing before reforming, and probably track down another source of honest-to-goodness one-time virgins.
    Merle Haggard

Huh.... If you're describing what I think you're describing, I think you're 100% right on about that brass. I'd sure keep an eye on the rest of it, even as you dump the ones showing issues right now.

Back in the day I shot a lot of PPC using 38 Special. At 2,500-3,000 rounds a week, you can imagine the hours I put in at the bench along with the hours on the range. I was buying once-fired 38 cases in 25# lots, and with those light loads and some very careful die adjustment I was getting around 20 reloads out of cases. I kept the lots separated (5-gallon buckets), and along about that 20-load mark I'd start seeing a few with tiny little nicks right at the case mouth. Next loading, they'd turn into a full-fledged splits running 1/4 or 1/3 of the way down the case. You could spot every one that split by the change in sound and POI.

I learned to inspect cases carefully as I neared that 20-load mark (loading logs are priceless) and at the first little nick or crease I found in any cases, I'd dump the whole lot and start using the next 25# bucket of brass. I could have stretched case life lots further if I'd wanted to devote even more hours to annealing now and then, but the brass was so cheap I just lived with it.

As I recall those cases were sold to you "once fired." If in fact those are incipient splits, I'd say the cases were more like a gal being a 10-time virgin. You'll want to keep a close eye on the other cases in the lot, if that's the situation, because there will be lots more splits coming down the pike at you. And yet another "if," if those new cases are coming from the same source, I'd be manic about annealing before reforming, and probably track down another source of honest-to-goodness one-time virgins.
    These were brand new Starline brass. I have another 300 hundred coming that I ordered before I played with these. My Hornady manual has a section that shows how brass is made and to be quite honest I never paid much attention but am going to read it now and see at what point they screwed up. I think I will by pass the seller and send some of the split ones right back to Starline and see what they have to say about it!

I think I will by pass the seller and send some of the split ones right back to Starline and see what they have to say about it!
    Good idea! I wouldn't expect that with new brass.

Were using the "interim" sizing collet you were going to make?

Just had a second thought....

New brass often has small wiggles and wobbles in the neck, to the point it's my habit to neck size all new brass before loading. I'm wondering if the flaws are a result of the same, and if "truing" the necks like that prior to reforming would resolve the issue.
    Merle Haggard

Good idea! I wouldn't expect that with new brass.

Were using the "interim" sizing collet you were going to make?

Just had a second thought....

New brass often has small wiggles and wobbles in the neck, to the point it's my habit to neck size all new brass before loading. I'm wondering if the flaws are a result of the same, and if "truing" the necks like that prior to reforming would resolve the issue.
    Nope it's an actual slice in the lip of the case. They are bad enough that you use a deburring tool on the out side of the neck because it catches in the slice. I unscrewed my die to the point where I could see what was going on as the case mouth as these nicked cases started farming down. The case actually splits right at this slice and the corners at the lip of the case and the slit cross each other and the case neck folds in. BB PM your cell phone number and I'll text you a picture.

BB PM your cell phone number and I'll text you a picture.
    Got the dreaded error message. Your mail box is full, EKC.
    Merle Haggard

Got the dreaded error message. Your mail box is full, EKC.
    You'd think I'd be smarter than that wouldn't ya. Sometimes I surprise even myself with my boneheadedness.

It's fixed now!