Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Bears.

Default Two Bears.

I have two bears at my bait station. They‘re young, brother& sister and mom probably gave them the boot first thing this spring. They're probably two & a half to three years old. Mythoughts are what will the smaller female do after I drop the male? I’m hopingshe’ll beat feet and never come back. I don’t want to have to take two hides toF & G and come home with one. Nor do I want her to eat her bother while I’mmaking trips off the mountain. Any of you ever been in the same boat? What doyou think?

Gun or bow? I am assuming they are black bears sense it is with bait? If it's with a gun the other will run off. Then make lots of
    noise to keep the girl away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brown Bear. RB 300. Will be a 308 to the brain.

If they are Cubs why shoot either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    If you read ASUS-DAG's initial post he says they are not cubs.

They are not Cubs. Young bears is correct term. Bigger bears are breeding and not really hitting baits in my area. Purpose is to reduce Browns. Season ends May 30th and bears should b back in baits by then but maybe not time to get a chance to hunt em.

Oh please give me a break. So earlier this spring when they were with mom they were Cubs and now they are not. Funny ****

I was thinking the same thing.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I would shoot whichever one has the best fur. If they are equally nice, take the color you prefer. The survivor may or may not bolt at the shot…but I would expect it to hang in the vicinity for sure…I would have somebody along for back up. Lacking that, try road flares. Bears don't like the smoke, flame and/or hiss. Good luck.

I hunt for meat. Not for hides. These bears are three years old and have as much meat on them as an average black bear does. Also they are less than 3 miles from my chicken coop. I don’t make rugs. I don’t make mounts. If a bigger one comes in. I’ll take that one for more meat, not for a bigger rug.
    Frizzier is getting low, 2 moose steaks, 1 tube moose burger, 1 tube black bear and 1 package of caribou for stew. I really don’t want nothing but salmon till the fall hunt and I do not want to end up in the meat section at Costco.

Well if it's got a good pelt shoot me a pm when you get one and I'll take the hide off your hands for you, after it's sealed obviously. Should just have to fill out the transfer of possession form and it should be good to go. No sense wasting a nice fluffy griz hide.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    I hunt for meat. Not for hides. These bears are three years old and have as much meat on them as an average black bear does. Also they are less than 3 miles from my chicken coop. I don’t make rugs. I don’t make mounts. If a bigger one comes in. I’ll take that one for more meat, not for a bigger rug.
    Frizzier is getting low, 2 moose steaks, 1 tube moose burger, 1 tube black bear and 1 package of caribou for stew. I really don’t want nothing but salmon till the fall hunt and I do not want to end up in the meat section at Costco.
    Contrary to people assuming things and attempting to put words in my mouth I do not have an issue with shooting bears but I don't sugar coat thingseither. We all shoot critters for different reasons and some need to justify things with terms. I do not. I was mostly curious and more then respect your answer. If it were me I would shoot the male. It ensures a better chance at a future for the Bears on the kenai. I seriously doubt you will have an issue with the surviving sibling.

If it were me I would shoot the male. It ensures a better chance at a future for the Bears on the kenai.
    That's the plan. I fell the same way.

The surviving sibling will most likely run out of there with the afterburner on.

You might consider turning on a radio tuned to an all-talk station at the kill site to discourage another bear from coming in and getting what's left for the time you're packing out.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Contrary to people assuming things and attempting to put words in my mouth I do not have an issue with shooting bears but I don't sugar coat thingseither. We all shoot critters for different reasons and some need to justify things with terms. I do not. I was mostly curious and more then respect your answer. If it were me I would shoot the male. It ensures a better chance at a future for the Bears on the kenai. I seriously doubt you will have an issue with the surviving sibling.
    If the Kenai needed to worry about 'ensuring the future of brown bears', it wouldn't be letting people shoot them over bait right now. Its a population control issue, the population is obviously too great. How does one help control that population? SHOOT THE FEMALE. Take a cub producer out of the equation, enjoy some sausage.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    If the Kenai needed to worry about 'ensuring the future of brown bears', it wouldn't be letting people shoot them over bait right now. Its a population control issue, the population is obviously too great. How does one help control that population? SHOOT THE FEMALE. Take a cub producer out of the equation, enjoy some sausage.
    You right we should wipe them all out.... Good plan.

Oh please give me a break. So earlier this spring when they were with mom they were Cubs and now they are not. Funny ****
    According to the regs, as of Jan/feb they were no longer Cubs. Maybe even last year at same time. The OP is obviously aware of regs.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    According to the regs, as of Jan/feb they were no longer Cubs. Maybe even last year at same time. The OP is obviously aware of regs.

You want to have a pissing contest perhaps look up some of the definitions of cub. Not legality actual definition. I could care less to waste my time on this. I expressed my opinion to the op and sent him my respect. You are the one with the issue here. Perhaps it's you that need to justify things with terms..just sayin

You right we should wipe them all out.... Good plan.
    Is there a area up here where that has ever happened? Or even remotely came close?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Is there a area up here where that has ever happened? Or even remotely came close?
    Nope I stand corrected. Targeting sows and juveniles has no ill effect whatsoever on populations. Just look at Kodiak from past to present I'm sure the trophy quality is the same....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast