Thread: Spey Fishing for salmon

Default Spey Fishing for salmon

I like to do some spey fishing for salmon on the Kenai or Kasilof, at the end of July. Anyone has suggestion on how, where? Is there any restriction on sinking tips, or weighted flies? Anyone want to swing flies with me?

You're going to have to hunt hard to find many places to wade and do it. Gotcher spey casting all sorted out and not dependent on overhead casting, you can mostly avoid the heavy stream-side vegetation for bank fishing. Those rivers are lots more grande than the Rio Grande.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

No restrictions for sink tips or weighted flies in the kasilof and only a small section of the upper kenai has fly weight seasonal restrictions (RR sanctuary and downstream to the powerlines). In my opinion, the end of July is not the best time to swing flies down that way. It is possible to catch undisturbed sockeye on the swing but that can be difficult. It is a humpy year on the Kenai and they are very willful takers to almost anything, so that is certainly a possibility.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I can't exactly answer your question as I have not spey fished in late July, but I have in early SEP for silvers. It works, but if you're on a pink year (like 2016) you will be foul hooking a ton of pinkies fishing a true spey swing with sinking tips (as opposed to the more popular Kenai Twitch method). You'll fair hook a few also, as fresh pinks are quite aggressive on swung flies. I never had much success with silvers on the spey when pinkies were around, but on off pink years it works quite well. It's also a ton of fun! I am not aware of any tips or weighted fly restrictions on the Kenai below Skilak.

I've seen Kenai kings caught from shore via spey rods at Centennial Campground.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

What is spey fishin? I get that u use a fly rod but whats the difference from a regular fly rod and the flys?
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Texfish View Post
    I like to do some spey fishing for salmon on the Kenai or Kasilof, at the end of July. Anyone has suggestion on how, where? Is there any restriction on sinking tips, or weighted flies? Anyone want to swing flies with me?
    It most certainly can be done! That's the only way I like to fish for sockeye! I posted a video on Youtube called "Swinging For Sockeyes" and another one called "More Sockeye Swinging". Just go to D Ray Personal Guide Service and hit subscribe to watch the video. Also, notice where the hook is located when extracted from the red's kype!

You might try and go out with D-Ray, he does a fair amount of spey fishing for salmon.

http://www.d-ray.com/

you beat me to the punch Dan!

Thanks Chris O. We'll have to try to fish together this summer!

Thanks for the info and video.
    May I ask what type of sinking tip, and length that you used?

What weight of fly rod? 7, 8, 9?

I picked up a Redington Dually Switch Spey Rod a few years back and I love it!!! I hardly ever use my single handed rod anymore unless I am using dry flies. I can anything I can do with a single rod except use dry flies and the advantage is I can cast longer and I can make roll casts just as long as a regular cast with my single handed rod so I can make longer casts when I have thick brush behind my back. For salmon, rainbows, and lakers it works great. I would not target kings with it but only because it is a 7 wt. If I had a 10 weight or higher I would use it for kings.