Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Lake Louise

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32

    Default Lake Louise

    Anyone know if Lake Louise will be good for fishing this weekend? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MTSabo View Post
    Anyone know if Lake Louise will be good for fishing this weekend? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
    According to the Lake Louise Lodge website, the lake opened up about a week ago. Should be perfect conditions for trolling for lakers.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32

    Default

    nice! just what I wanted to hear.

  4. #4

    Default

    Tried it for a couple of hours before a minor emergency back home cut the trip short. launched the kayak from the state park. most all of the fish I marked were in 15 ft of water. Nothing landed, two strikes, one that was hooked for 15 seconds or so. very odd. felt like I had snagged some thick weeds on bottom, heavy but gave a liitle, but you coukd feel some life at the end of the line and the bottom was rocky. burbot maybe? flat lined a single hook k14 kwikfish.

    Be careful towing anything down Lake Louise Road. some killer and numerous frost heaves.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,488

    Default


    Fishing is excelllent right now and will continue thru the weekend of 4th of July. After that the water is warmed up and the fish go deep. We caugh 6 in 2 hours of fishing on Sunday, 4ea over 15#'s. You want to fish water depths of 22' to 40' for the big ones. Large Kwik fish in the chrome and bright greens work best behind a 1-1/2 oz banana weight trolling as slow as you possible can. The bite is on from daylight to 11:00am then shuts right down. Next bite is from 7:00pm to dark. LL road is VERY bad with bumps and can take you by surprise. No game in the area except lots of ducks, swans and eagles. Did have a nice 7' blonde grizz trot across the highway about 2 miles south of LL road at 6pm but a lovely person in a little car was nice enough to lay on the horn while I was chasing after him with my rifle...

  6. #6

    Default

    Sweet. nice fish!

    I fished from 2pm to 5pm so right in the middle of the dead zone. still great to be out somewhere different for something different. Might try it again after a couple more halibut and kings.

    thanks for the post.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post

    Fishing is excelllent right now and will continue thru the weekend of 4th of July. After that the water is warmed up and the fish go deep. We caugh 6 in 2 hours of fishing on Sunday, 4ea over 15#'s. You want to fish water depths of 22' to 40' for the big ones. Large Kwik fish in the chrome and bright greens work best behind a 1-1/2 oz banana weight trolling as slow as you possible can. The bite is on from daylight to 11:00am then shuts right down. Next bite is from 7:00pm to dark. LL road is VERY bad with bumps and can take you by surprise. No game in the area except lots of ducks, swans and eagles. Did have a nice 7' blonde grizz trot across the highway about 2 miles south of LL road at 6pm but a lovely person in a little car was nice enough to lay on the horn while I was chasing after him with my rifle...
    Right on Steve!!! That's a nice fish. Do you think dipsey divers would work as good as the banana weights? I'm headed out to my property in about a week and a half. I got a bunch of kwikfish in various colors, spoons, plugs, and some dipsey divers, but not any banana weights. As always, thanks for the reports and for the tips.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    They sell banana weights just about everywhere and you can use from 1oz to 2oz. I don't like the dipseys as they seem to really drag the pole while trolling. Use the biggets Kwik fish you can ( big bait, big fish applies! ). I am not familier on the size #'s on the Kwik Fish, just get the biggest. Anything with the glo green colors and also reds work awesome. Try to get your troll under 2mph, dragging a bucket will help if needed. It will take time but learn your lake Joe. Learn your structures and always mark where you catch fish as they will usually be in the exact same spots.

  9. #9
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Thats great information Steve might have to try it next year thats a great looking laker congrats
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  10. #10
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    you want to run K18's.........you can also run divers if you don't want to run sinkers. Knowing your structures is right!!!!!, know what the fish are doing this time of year and look for things that apply. That is a nice laker! How close to 35in was it? I have seen some 40's come out of there, but never been lucky enough to personally net anything worth bragging about.....well except for people in my boat........

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Nice fish Steve that is a solid 18lber maybe a little bigger. For all of you that haven't fished LL before make sure you read the regs single hook no bait and please catch and release. The lake got hammered this winter and I'm sure allot of those big spawners got killed. Once again super nice fish I love seeing those big lakers and that is a healthy one for sure.

  12. #12
    Member J2theD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    Nice fish Steve that is a solid 18lber maybe a little bigger. For all of you that haven't fished LL before make sure you read the regs single hook no bait and please catch and release. The lake got hammered this winter and I'm sure allot of those big spawners got killed. Once again super nice fish I love seeing those big lakers and that is a healthy one for sure.
    I always release all lake trout, I may keep the occasional nice burbot. But my question is, what makes you think that LL got hammered this winter? I was out there quite a bit and talked to many people and only heard of one local keeping about a 25" laker....

    im not trying to argue, I'm just curious why you say that...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    I always release all lake trout, I may keep the occasional nice burbot. But my question is, what makes you think that LL got hammered this winter? I was out there quite a bit and talked to many people and only heard of one local keeping about a 25" laker....

    im not trying to argue, I'm just curious why you say that...
    When I did that Big lake derby this past winter i had to sign on to their Facebook page and those guys were driving their trucks all over the place posting pics and tearing up the lake. I saw many pics a big dead lakers and burbot with little to no regard for the resource. Kudos to you J for releasing your fish. I'm sure allot more fish are kept that no one hears about.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    I did see ALOT more activity this winter on the lake but not sure what was going on in the "camps". I believe it was due to the very mild winter we had. I tried ice fishing 3 times and didn't even mark a fish. Trooper Josh is the new trooper in the area and is doing a great job showing his presence. He came by the cabin a few times and was very friendly and respectful. He is cracking down on the "over night lines" which is great. Thats where alot of the fish mortality is..

  15. #15
    Member .300wby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Jump on the internet, basically beg people to go out there, post the "look at me" pics and describe exactly how, what, where and when to do it.....And wonder why it gets hammered.... Typical.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    They sell banana weights just about everywhere and you can use from 1oz to 2oz. I don't like the dipseys as they seem to really drag the pole while trolling. Use the biggets Kwik fish you can ( big bait, big fish applies! ). I am not familier on the size #'s on the Kwik Fish, just get the biggest. Anything with the glo green colors and also reds work awesome. Try to get your troll under 2mph, dragging a bucket will help if needed. It will take time but learn your lake Joe. Learn your structures and always mark where you catch fish as they will usually be in the exact same spots.
    Right on. Thanks for the tips Steve. I picked up some banana weights today. I'm getting excited. One more week until we leave to build our cabin. I'm really looking forward to the laker fishing.

  17. #17
    Member J2theD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    When I did that Big lake derby this past winter i had to sign on to their Facebook page and those guys were driving their trucks all over the place posting pics and tearing up the lake. I saw many pics a big dead lakers and burbot with little to no regard for the resource. Kudos to you J for releasing your fish. I'm sure allot more fish are kept that no one hears about.
    I fished with a lot of those guys and am part of the Facebook group. I never once saw a laker get caught or a dead laker. Again, my perception is the complete opposite of yours. I understand you may not be a fan of that Facebook group, but don't let one or two guys give it a bad name. I highly question the "many pictures of big dead lakers at Lake Louise" as I have been a member of that group for quite awhile and can't recall one...

    and FWIW, when I talked to John this year at the lodge, he seemed to think the lake was less busy with fishing than normal. I spent many weekends out there this year and again, the only laker I even heard of getting kept was by a local.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Thanks for all the replies/tips. I got skunked but maybe will give it another try sometime.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Jump on the internet, basically beg people to go out there, post the "look at me" pics and describe exactly how, what, where and when to do it.....And wonder why it gets hammered.... Typical.
    Man, bitter about something? I don't see where I complained about the lake being "hammered". The fishing is great and running strong and there is plenty of fish for everyone to enjoy. Sometimes things arn't just about an individual ("look at me"), yes I encourage people to go up and use the resources but not for attention but to help and keep the lodges going. 2 out of the 3 lodges are closed. The one that is open is up for sale. They are the only ones left for emergencies, fuel, and supplies. Without them, the closest place is 70 miles away. Whats wrong with showing someone how to fish? Guess you were born knowing how and where to hunt and fish eh? Sounds to me by your comment that maybe your having a hard time catching a fish and blaming me for sharing experinces and knowledge with others...Typical.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I'm with you on this one tralblazersteve. If the fishery is suffering it will be managed by ADF&G. At the same time we can use common sense and be responsible stewards ourselves without regulations. Keeping fishing spots and techniques a secret doesn't help anyone. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •