Thread: Isotemp water Heater

Default Isotemp water Heater

Does anyone have an Isotemp water heater installed on their boat? I have a few questions and a bit of a rant. I am curious if anyone has had any issues with the heater (or the company). Specifically,IMG_6549.jpgIMG_6551.jpg winterizing it with RV antifreeze. I understand that it can corrode the anode faster but what about causing any expansion? I winterized my boat by putting RV antifreeze in the water tank. I pumped it through the system and pulled the batteries for the winter. Now, i installed the batteries and put water in the tank to flush the antifreeze out. I discovered a leak in the front of it.........The gasket had pushed out along with the metal plate and bent the rim. The heater was completely ruined. The pop off valve should have worked at 100psi. Obviously that did not work. I called Isotemp in florida to hopefully get it warranted but I'm getting the run around. The water heater was intalled in august/ september and never used.

Sounds like damage from ice expansion as opposed to liquid expansion. Perhaps the RV antifreeze was insufficient and froze at some point during the winter?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The antifreeze freezing or the antifreeze just getting heated somehow is the only thing that could have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is one other possibility you did not get any antifreeze in the hot water tank.

No. It was completely full.l and verified when it blew the antifreeze all over the bilge.

I know on our 5th wheel you do not want RV antifreeze in the hot water heater. You drain it and there is a bypass to fill the water lines but no antifreeze in the heater itself. Does the winterization instructions say to actually fill the tank with it? You might want to check with one of the RV dealers such as Cache Camper in Palmer, I'm sure he would be a good source of info...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

The directions only say to drain the water. It does not say to use or not to use antifreeze. I will call Cache Camper. The antifreeze I used was rated for -50 and I know it never reached that last winter. I bought it from Lowes so maybe I should track down the brand of it and see if anyone has had problems.

Roger That, yhea, I was told big no no putting it inside the heater but that still doesn't explain why it expanded unless you didn't get all the water out somehow. Let us know what you find out, good luck...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

The only reason I was told it's a no no is because the anode will corrode faster. Oh well it's over and I won't use RV antifreeze again. I just hope they warranty the darn thing.

Other than possible anode corrosion it should not hurt anything other than your wallet to fill the water heater with antifreeze. If the water heater has a low point drain, I'd install an RV bypass kit (connects hot piping to cold @ the water heater) and then you just isolate and drain the water heater and fill the rest of your piping with antifreeze so it takes much less. Sounds like your water heater froze - did you drain it completely before adding antifreeze or is it possible that there was water in it which diluted with the antifreeze added, lowering the freeze/burst temp while still looking red like antifreeze? Most antifreeze has a freeze rating (slush) and a burst rating (ice). The box stores sell the cheapest stuff they can find so I would definitely read the fine print. Your relief valve should have worked if the contents were still in liquid form, so I'd say you got a nice hard freeze there

The issue isn't what happened to the water heater. I don't care what happened anymore. I just want the Indel Webasto marine company to call me back. The area sales and technical manager keeps promising to call me back after speaking to someone else. The issue is the BS customer service there.

Well, they finally confirmed that my water heater will not be warranted. They determined through pictures that the water heater was somehow turned on with no fluid in it. Despite the heater obviously expanding somehow (and the PRV not working) ruining the heater they decided the heater somehow turned on with no fluid while the batteries were not in the boat and it was full of RV antifreeze.
    I purchased a new heater and installed it. It works flawlessly and I really enjoy the product but I hope to never deal with their warranty department. I'm calling BS on their decision but what can I do?