Thread: External GPS Antennas, who's using them?

Default External GPS Antennas, who's using them?

My old Garmin has a little probably $30 external puck antenna mounted on the aluminum cabin roof.

Looking at the new units, the external antennas for Lowrance and Garmin are $200+

Anyone having luck with newer Gps's without an external in aluminum cabin boats? For what it's worth, my InReach seems to lock on fine inside the cabin.

Thanks

I have a 545s and a 546s Garmin GPS in my Searunner without an external antenna and they work great. All over Homer, Seward, PWS and all the way up the Koyukuk. But I have a Garmin ext gps antenna in my garage if u need one :-)

No probs ever on mine; had an aluminum Koffler in pws, internal antenna on a 740 garmin, no problem. Run a 70dv on the Hewes here in Kbay, no problem, also internal antenna, no prob.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I just installed a furuno TZTouch2 with the 12" screen with the integrated antenna. It is mounted in my helm which is aluminum. The unit was unable to find signal. I pulled it out and set it on dash and it worked fine. Works great now that I have the external antenna.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I dont roll with ocean boats guys but my garmin 76c mounted on the dash has no issues even on an ugly fogged in and raining Seward day.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I have a 741xs with an internal antennae in a hewes hardtop that works fine. I have a buddy with a problem with his 5212 unit with remote gps antennae that he is trying to troubleshoot.

FYI, the external antennas are usually better quality and their refresh rate is better.

For instance the built in on Lowrance units refreshes @ 5hz while external refreshes twice as often @ 10hz.

Most of the newer garmins spec out at 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Good to hear. Ended up going with a new Garmin echoMAP 44dv for $350. The screen is bigger and brighter than my old Garmin and it included the G2 charts, the nearest comparable unit was $250 more for a slightly larger screen, seemed like the best value out there if you don't need a lot of connectivity and have good eyes for the smaller screen. I have a separate Furuno sounder and separate radar so didn't need a large screen to display multiple functions. In reality, updating 5 times a sec vs 10 times a sec seems like it would make little difference for how I use my GPS. The new antenna's I found are actually completely separate GPS receivers and not actual antennas, so that's why they cost so much.

Next question, who's using the G2 Vision HD charts? There is a mail in rebate for $200 if I buy the South Alaska chip before July 10th, not sure if it's worth it, the regular G2 charts looked pretty good.

Shows what I know, didn't even know there were new HD chips. I use the bluechart g2 and am pretty happy with it. It came with my 741xs but I bought the chip for a 100$ when I had my old 546S. Got some studying to do on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the new chips (if not bundled with a new gps) for G2 run $160, Navionics+ $200. Then the Premium chips like Navionics Platinum and G2 Vision HD are $300. They are expensive so finding a bundled GPS with the regular G2 charts for $350 seemed like a deal.