Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOOSE Calf NUMBERS 2016'.......What are you seeing........???

Default MOOSE Calf NUMBERS 2016'.......What are you seeing........???

In theory this should be a spring with high moose calf birth numbers. Are you seeing cows with three calves, two calves, one calf...???

I have only seen 2 moose in 2 months in the yard normally would be seeing that many a day on my trail cameras
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Based on tracks alone, in the area I roam, it looks like there are more calf tracks than normal by a small amount. Too small a sample size, but an encouraging sign.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Based on tracks alone, in the area I roam, it looks like there are more calf tracks than normal by a small amount. Too small a sample size, but an encouraging sign.
    two showed up in my yard last night

brand new calf with mom on Omalley this morning close to Birch. Before I fenced in my back yard, I had cow's calving in the back yard each year. Doesn't work too well with kids running around.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Only interested in this years newborn calves.

Out north the new calves get quickly eaten by the bears no matter how many are born. Especially in areas that suffered from all the blow down in November of 2012. They might as well be in a corral. I took my dozer to my property in Gray Cliff and yarded in most of the blow down there in an attempt to help the moose.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I too have an interest in this years calves, but I'm more interested in finding last years calves in August!

Yes, I have witnessed that, and then had the bear charge, when the cow counter attacked. It bit the calf in the small of the back, just one quick bite and the calf was paralyzed.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Out north the new calves get quickly eaten by the bears no matter how many are born. Especially in areas that suffered from all the blow down in November of 2012. They might as well be in a corral. I took my dozer to my property in Gray Cliff and yarded in most of the blow down there in an attempt to help the moose.

Had a cow with one new little one in the yard last weekend.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Had a stillborn calf in the yard this morning....cow has been laying down next to it all day. ADFG en route to collect the calf....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

With the easy winter, I was hope for a lot of triplets.

Moose mate in October. Whether or not the cow is going to have twins or triplets is determined soon thereafter. How easy or hard the winter was has no bearing on it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Here's an interesting story from the Newsminer from back in 2010 regarding triplets. Sounds like it's exceedingly rare, to the point where biologists working directly with moose for 15+ years have never seen it. Furthermore, as Doug points out, twinning has more to do with nutritional status of the cow in October than winter conditions. As such, summer conditions and population density matter more than winter conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have never, ever, heard of triplets....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Cow w twins at job site. Twins look to b healthy. Cow has a good perch on top of the hill. They mosey about some but mostly eat n sleep on work site property. Lower hillside off Huffman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMU'S 15A and 7 barely have enough quality habitat to support three calves total, forget triplets....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

How hard the winter is determines how healthy the cows is, which determines her natural aborting of some of the fetus.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Moose mate in October. Whether or not the cow is going to have twins or triplets is determined soon thereafter. How easy or hard the winter was has no bearing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    I have never, ever, heard of triplets....

I have seen triplets, watched them being born. But has been many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Had a stillborn calf in the yard this morning....cow has been laying down next to it all day. ADFG en route to collect the calf....
    Bio picked up the calf last night...took two attempts as the cow would not let him near. It looked full -term or close to it....hair, developed hooves, etc.... I guess they like to test for selenium levels, among other things. Cow still at birth site this morning.....somewhat sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast