Thread: You guys would be proud of me....maybe!?

Default You guys would be proud of me....maybe!?

I was at Brownells late yesterday afternoon to pick up a new set of dies and while I was waiting I had to wander through the new gun store. You would be proud of the fact that I saw several guns that realy gave me warm fuzzies yet I left with only the dies. They had a like new older model 1892 Winchester in 44 mag for less than $700. They also had a Mossberg 800 in 308 that was pretty clean. It had the spoon shaped bolt knob. It was $300 and I put it back on the rack and walked away. I exercised so much reserve in not buying either of those guns. The real test came when I wandered accross a in brand new condition early 70's vintage Remington 700 ADL in 270 for under $500. It had a real purdy piece of wood and shouldered just like I remembered way back then. I thought about that one all the way home(3 miles). I got home ate supper and then thought about that 270 some more. I even tried reasoning with my self by thinking about all of the negative stuff that Smitty of The North has said about the 270 Winchester. He is a smart dude and the 284 has more to offer......but I have kilt so much stuff stone cold dead with a 270 and poo pooing it forever will never bring any of that stuff back to life. Heck I already have dies, a couple hundred brand new brass and at least that many 130 grain Core-Lockts. Then it hit my like a rock. I went to my little wooden box that I made in jr high. The one that contains my gun kitty. It had less than $100 in it......yup, I had been robbed, orrrrrr I done bought to many guns lately and spent my self into a US Government type situation. It's been a long, long time since EKC gun funds was this low. There is no way that I can go back out to Brownells and look that orphaned 270 in the eye and tell it that I can't afford to give it a good home. Heck it practically jumped from the rack into my arms when it saw me.

I don't know what's gonna happen today in regards to "MY" 270 that is sitting on their rack but come 2:00 PM if it's still an orphan then I am going to alienate my self from a couple of scatterguns. One of which has a name on the barrel that I cain't even say....Antonio Zolli or something similar. Heck I don't think Jack OcConner even liked the Spaniards and here I got a over and under with ones name writ all over it. I'm fixen to trade it and thats it. Iffen they need a model 12 pump gun that don't shoot straight then they can have it too. That leaves me with only three 20 gauges and none of them try to knock an eye out with spent brass like that Zoli does.

I'll let you know how this comes out!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I'll let you know how this comes out!
    Oh yeah. Nothing quite so warm and toasty as reading a story when you know how it will end!

I kinda went through the same thing with bamboo fly rods last year. The deals were just too good to pass up, even if I probably won't use any of them more than once or twice a year. But I love em and they're mine now! Don't need more explanation than that, do we?
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I admire your will power EKC, a woman , (or perhaps even a man dressed as a woman), in a shoe store would have caved in - you are one tough SOB! Now today go get that iron, and I agree the zoli should go - yuk!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Can't believe you are not infatuated with the 1892.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Can't believe you are not infatuated with the 1892.
    +1 I agree with you AGL
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I'm rather fond of the 270. I have killed 6 or 7 moose with mine. I shoot Speer 150gr BTSP at about 2800 and I usually don't recover them.

Well, nobody latched onto the 270 so I horse traded them out of it. They even giveded me a box of 130 gr Core Lockts and a new Brownells baseball type cap.

I don't have much faith in recent Remingtons but I really like the older ones. I need to shorten the butt stock a bit and put a no slip recoil pad on the old girl and it'll be ready to go.

Sounds like a dandy! I had a 1960's era BDL in 270 that was an incredible performer. Got talked into selling it before moving to Alaska because it just wasn't an "Alaskan" rifle. Ha. Big regrets. Should tell you something, that the guy I sold it to refused to sell it back to me, even at a premium.

Same sight-in, it would land factory 130's and 150's into the same ultra small group, so sight in was a breeze. Came time to work up handloads, I used that as a standard and figured I might have to work at it. Nope. Almost any load pushing either pill to near factory velocity would land them all in the same spot. Did I mention small groups? Mebbe so, but I'll mention them again. Small groups.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm always proud of you, EKC:

You've proven your metal, time and again.
    Your resistance to current fads,
    Your shrewd evaluation,
    Your vision,
    You are known for such Clearheaded decisions.
    Your Wife is LUCKY that you are DOER, and not just a DREAMER like me.

That 270 ees jist what "I" need. Shucky Gee, I already have a 280 barrel ready to screw on.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'm always proud of you, EKC:

You've proven your metal, time and again.
    Your resistance to current fads,
    Your shrewd evaluation,
    Your vision,
    You are known for such Clearheaded decisions.
    Your Wife is LUCKY that you are DOER, and not just a DREAMER like me.

That 270 ees jist what "I" need. Shucky Gee, I already have a 280 barrel ready to screw on.

Smitty of the North
    I was kinda hoping that it was one of those rare 7mm Express chamberings. That would a been cool. They are the same as the 280 only they had a twist that was too slow. Kinda like their 6mm/244 fiasco.

EKC, you are in danger of losing your man card by telling folk you are going to put a recoil pad on a 270 - that's kinda like putting mittens on before eating your fruit loops at breakfast time .....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    EKC, you are in danger of losing your man card by telling folk you are going to put a recoil pad on a 270 - that's kinda like putting mittens on before eating your fruit loops at breakfast time .....
    Loose my man card? Hmmm don't think I ever got issued one to start with. Probably just get one of those rubber pads that ain't slickery. The 270 is just a bit long if I were to have a heavy coat on. What really is bothersome is that my new to me Savage 99/375 Chesterwin is also a bit long. If I'm going to make it mine then I need to take a little off that stock as well. Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    What really is bothersome is that my new to me Savage 99/375 Chesterwin is also a bit long. If I'm going to make it mine then I need to take a little off that stock as well. Should I?
    Heck yeah. It's yours for shooting and not collecting, so make it right for you. My 358 came with a recoil pad, and if I recall correctly your 375 has one too. In my experience those older ones aren't anywhere near as good as some of the new thin ones, so you'd pick up maybe half an inch with a swap and no wood hacking. Might get as much as 3/4" simply going to a solid butt plate. My recollection of the 375 is that it doesn't kick even as much as the 358, so you might not need one at all.
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Heck yeah. It's yours for shooting and not collecting, so make it right for you. My 358 came with a recoil pad, and if I recall correctly your 375 has one too. In my experience those older ones aren't anywhere near as good as some of the new thin ones, so you'd pick up maybe half an inch with a swap and no wood hacking. Might get as much as 3/4" simply going to a solid butt plate. My recollection of the 375 is that it doesn't kick even as much as the 358, so you might not need one at all.
    Funny you should say that. I just took the pad off and in my pile of junk I found a hard but plate that only needs a litlle touch from the belt sander and I'll be good. It gave about exactly 3/4 of an inch and that makes it about right. I got a set of bases for it but they are to far apart for the 2x7 Leupy that I settled on. I'll have to pick up a set of those off set rings to make it perfect.

I'm more than curious what kind of groups you can shoot with a scope. The 284 is the only one of my 99's with a scope, and an old K-4 at that. It was put on the day the original owner bought the rifle at the gun shop (I know him), and it's never been off. Even with factory loads it reliably breaks 1.5" all day long (both the 125's and the 150's). I've only loaded for it a little compared to my usual with rifles because in the mid-90's I picked up a case of 284 factory loads, half of each, from a gun shop that was going under and needed cash fast. Still have a dozen or so boxes, so it may be a while yet before I get serious about chasing groups.

Long as I'm jawing, I'll add that back in the mid-70's I took in an R Model with the 24" barrel in 250 that had a Leupold 3x9 on it. Kind of an abortion to my eye, but I couldn't take it off. A friend let me hold it as security against a loan, and it took him a couple of years to pay me off. I did lots of load development with that one, and 75 grain Hornady's would just about land on top of each other with the right powder. It hovered between .5" and .75" all day long. I sure hated to see the guy come through my door with cash in hand and a smile on his face. Far as I know he's still shooting it, Leupold and all.

Just really curious what a 375 Winnie will do with a scope. Keep us posted!
    Merle Haggard

I don't know if I'm prouder of yous walkin away from it, or going back to get it....hmmmm, def the later. 😎

I agree with BB, cut away if'n your actually going to use it!