Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Kenai Beach Halibut

Default Soft Kenai Beach Halibut

Caught some halibut off the beach. Flesh seemed ok for little guys, 7-10#. Had a couple filets, they cooked up very soft. Possible I undercooked them, hopefully the case. One fish had prominent white speckles on the dark side. Chowder fish??

Couple weeks ago we caught 8 off anchor (chickens) and I didn't think about chalky until I filleted the first one. Half were super thin and chalky colored - haven't ate any yet to see how it feeds.

Two of the seven we pulled up down off Happy Valley last weekend were chalky. They were also the two smallest of the group.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

You can tell by looking at how thick they are. Skinny is chalky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrowtooth Flounder is the catch on both Kenai and Kasilof beach. You need to use lime or lemon juice on them before cooking to firm up flesh. Enzyme in flesh breaks down with heat when cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by IThink View Post
    Arrowtooth Flounder is the catch on both Kenai and Kasilof beach. You need to use lime or lemon juice on them before cooking to firm up flesh. Enzyme in flesh breaks down with heat when cooking.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of starry flounder? I've caught lots of starry flounder off the beach in both places while dipnetting, but have only caught arrowtooth flounder at greater depths. Starry flounder can be salvaged to make a decent meal, arrowtooth not so much (though it does make reasonably good bait).

Not saying you're incorrect - I've just never seen arrowtooths up in the shallows.

Starry flounder:

Arrowtooth flounder:

Familiar with arrowtooths.... These were definitely halibut

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Familiar with arrowtooths.... These were definitely halibut
    I wasn't referring to you - rather the other member who mentioned catching arrowtooth from the shore. Just curious, really.

I call the arrowtooth flounder a "saber-toothed flounder".......got into them real good off of Latouche one afternoon......they was everywhere.

Halibut possible and rare on the beach, starry flounder, shark, and mostly arrowtooth. They are feeding heavy on hooligan return to the river.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by IThink View Post
    Halibut possible and rare on the beach, starry flounder, shark, and mostly arrowtooth. They are feeding heavy on hooligan return to the river.
    I'm guessing you are trying to keep the good fishing a secret.
    This time of year halibut are not so rare.
    I know a few people who have limited on halibut off the peninsula beaches already this spring and yes that is 2 fish in one day.
    And yes they were halibut. No question about it.
    They are not usually very big or the fishing fast and furious but they are certainly there.
    Yes there are Spiny Dogfish and starry flounder caught as well.
    I have never seen or heard of a confirmed Arrowtooth caught off the beach. Just my personal observations on that.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

we have been hammering small halibut off the kayaks this year near anchor pt and I'd say maybe half of the under ten pounders we pull up look thin, covered in lice excessively, and often with mottled white sides. the quantity has been great. quality not so much on the smaller fish. anything over 20 pounds seem much cleaner and thicker fleshed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Is there a definite answer as to what is causing the chalky halibut ?

Not that I know of, but my experience is that there are kind of two different types - soft, and then .... not sure what to call it, but I'll go with chalky.

The soft ones seem more numerous (mostly from what I've heard as I haven't done much halibut fishing this year). They still cook up but just aren't the nice firm fillets we are used to. The other (chalky) ones are really weird, and pretty much the meat just goes translucent and disintegrates when you try to cook it. I've started just poking them when I catch them - like you do to see if a steak is cooked - if they're soft, buhbye.

I'm curious if this is being observed anywhere other than Cook Inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Is there a definite answer as to what is causing the chalky halibut ?
    I'm no expert, but chalky halibut, and mushy halibut are two different issues. I believe chalky halibut is associated with lactic acid build up in the fish which causes the flesh to turn opaque like it had been marinated in lemon juice (acidic).
    http://www.iphc.int/research/biology...y-halibut.html

Though not definitive, the mushy halibut is believed to be caused by some sort of nutritional deficiency.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...t_syndrome.pdf

I think the mushy has something to do with diet, as they seem lazy as well. never pulled a mushy or chalky trolling or on the shallow beaches here. always in the chicken patches.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I caught a 10 pound or so halibut off the spit in homer last week. When I was cleaning it, it was very watery. Wife cooked it up in the usual parmesan crusted bake and it was horrible, mushy, and really wet. I will have to pay more attention to try and turn those loose. I don't know if I could tell the difference while alive or not.

For those that have fished other areas, does cook inlet seem to have a higher percentage of chalky and soft halibut than the Gulf and PWS?
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    I don't know if I could tell the difference while alive or not.
    I know, that's the problem. I know I released at least one bigger halibut that I thought may be bad just because it had more lice on it than the others. That was before I learned (here) that the bigger ones are usually ok. That, and I also didn't know about the different colors on the white side. Either way, it bums me out that we have to have to deal with this now....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Now that you mention it, it did have a ton of lice. I may have to go with that and see if it is accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast