Thread: PWS Glaciers?

Default PWS Glaciers?

I have some family visiting that would like to see a glacier up close. I am planning to take them out in the Sound and was hoping I could take them to a glacier that we could possibly boat up to or hike to it. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe possibly a glacier with fishing grounds nearby. Also is there any not so obvious dangers of motoring up to a glacier?

The PWS Cruising Guide should have info for you. Follow the 26 glacier cruise boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If they want to hike on one, Matanuska Glacier is pretty awesome. You can hike quite a ways out onto it. Boating up to one in PWS is excellent as well, but for hiking you'd be hard pressed to find a better option than Matanuska.

PWS Glaciers would be Blackstone cause you can get close. For sheer size it would be Columbia but most of the time you cant get close due to the amount of ice. This is true for most of PWS glaciers, current, wind, and ice bergs keep you on your toes and motors running.
    Head of Ailak, west of Seward, was the coolest though 'cause you can pull up tight, shut down the engines and enjoy the scenery without constantly repositioning. The noise echoing off the walls, seals, and experienceing them up close is pretty neat. Plus fishing is close by.
    Just a thought.....
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I'd say go up Hariman Arm. Surprise glacier and the little cluster at Barry are all simply awesome--AND you can get close. We could have went right up to the edge of Barry on Saturday--but there were a few large-building sized chunks that calves off making a big wave then swell which reminded us of how glad we were for the 500 yard safety berth.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Most of the PWS tidewater glaciers aren't easy to hike to. If you're looking for a hike to one that's inland a bit, go to the head of Port Nellie Juan and anchor up in Deep Water Bay. Go ashore at the white sand beach where you'll sink up to your ankles in the soft sand. Hike up the dry creek bed, you'll find a glacier at the end of a short hike and be amazed by the sights along the way, including a half dome rivaling Yosemite's. A magical place.

I was going to say Nellie Juan glacier as well. Deep Water Bay is awesome, however you can hike along the south side of Nellie Juan glacier, but it's all smooth granite hiking, and there's usually a stiff breeze blowing down off the glacier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Most of the PWS tidewater glaciers aren't easy to hike to. If you're looking for a hike to one that's inland a bit, go to the head of Port Nellie Juan and anchor up in Deep Water Bay. Go ashore at the white sand beach where you'll sink up to your ankles in the soft sand. Hike up the dry creek bed, you'll find a glacier at the end of a short hike and be amazed by the sights along the way, including a half dome rivaling Yosemite's. A magical place.
    That sounds like an adventure that will happen tomorrow!!

ok, not tomorrow. weather report doesn't look so hot for tomorrow.

I personally think the bad stuff will be South of you. I am packing now for as early departure as we can pull off tomorrow.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Let me know how it is! I'm taking two greenhorns so I'd rather not chance it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do, Saturday looks better.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If you are planning a trip all the way over to Columbia, be advised the bay was full of ice as of Sunday. So much ice you could not get close enough to see the glacier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk