Thread: older compound bows

Default older compound bows

So I have two older bows, my dads old Proline Force 2 (about 30ish years old) and a PSE unsure of the model. These older bows were just given to me and I want to start up in archery again, I passed the IBEP Alaska Bow Hunter Safety test in September, and look at getting into bowhunting. But I want somebody to look both these bows over to make sure they are safe to use. I currently live in Juneau, but I may be moving to Fairbanks. Anybody know a good place, or person, in either location that could take a look at these bows and tell me if they are still solid? My dads bow I know hasn't been shot in 14 years, because he blew it out 14 years ago so I figure the string needs to be replaced, but what about the cam, wheel, limbs, etc? Thanks in advance for any help!

In North Pole or Fairbanks, take them to North Pole Archery and Supply. Great pro shop and Bill and Dallas are both very knowledgable.

When it comes to rebuilding an older bow....you can often get an entry level "new" bow for less money and have a better bow in the end. Food for thought....bow technology has made quantum leaps in the last 15 years or so, enough so that it might be worth looking at.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The Alaska Bowhunter Association use to have a regional rep in Juneau (that lives there). Do a search on the ABA and look at the Board of Directors. If they still live there, maybe (s)he can help you find local help. If there is deep sentimental attachment to these bows, I might suggest that you make a great display for them :-) New strings can easily exceed $100 as can a new sight. New rests go from about $50 to $500. If the limbs or riser is damaged, you may not even be able to replace them. The cams, wheels, should have alternatives if they are worn out too. Like the previous writer said, it can add up quickly repairing an older bow. The pro shops have the experts and if it was me, I would go there first (not a warehouse store). If there isn't anything in your area, wait until you go to Fairbanks, or even a trip outside to the lower 48. Take the bows and get an expert's assessment of them if you can.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Awesome, thanks guys! I was thinking the same thing. I figured if the cost to fix one or both of these up was going to be more then a newer entry level bow that I would do exactly that: sell the PSE and sell or keep my dads bow since he is fine with that. Sell them both and use that to put towards that lower level bow or something maybe a little nicer. But I figured I'd see which option is cheaper because I do think that I'd like to get back into the world of archery, and I'd love to be able to use it to hunt once I feel confident in my skill level again. Thanks for the advice, I'll look at ABA and if I go up I'll head into North Pole Archery. Thanks!

Don't "settle" on the cheapest bow you can find. Go to a pro shop and ask to shoot a variety of different ones. You may be surprised at the difference in how they feel in your hand. Big boy companies like Mathews have lines like Mission that you can save hundreds on and they are every bit as good (brothers own the two lines, but one is dedicated to charity work). Buying a "cheap" bow at a warehouse will save you $$$ up front, but IMHO will cost you on the back side. A pro shop will set you up and take care of you for years to come whenever there is an issue. Many pro shops also do consignment sales and I have gotten some great deal that way too. Once you have a idea of what works for you, then and only then, would I suggest you go online looking. Good luck. I hope you can find someone local that might let you shoot a bow or two that they have as that is always a great way to get into the sport.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

What are your guyses thoughts on a Fred Bear Vapor 300? I might be able to get into one really cheap and was wondering on your guyses opinion on them for hunting. The guy has several accessories including an upgraded site limbsaver and quiver

There has been much improvement in bows. One does not need to "buy the latest" to keep up with "trends." However, there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to "upgrading" an old bow. I suggest you go see Bill or Dallas at North Pole Archery if in the area.

Defintely will be going there now. I'm moving up the end of the month, got the promotion! So I'll definitely check them out.

you could see if the new sportsmen wharehouse will look over your bows in Juneau, I walked through it last weekend and saw that they had bows for sale. (I wouldn't buy from them because I too like buying from a pro shop). I don't have any advice for you on buying new bows because I don't know how well yours work. a friend of mine told me once (I was asking her about which arrows to buy I wanted to upgrade) its better to a good arrow well then a great arrow poorly. if you can shoot the bows well and they feel good then I would stick with them.

I was thinking the same thing, talked to the guy at the archery counter, Tyrel, who is also the hunting manager. only guy there he said currently that can work on bows. I was thnking about taking both of the two bows I've got into him and have him give them a once over, and try to get this bow I just got tuned up for me. Then when I get up there stop in the pro shop and the bow should be ready for some real professional tuning/help.

Yeah we walked through opening day ... pretty awesome, I think it'll do well here in Juneau.

It's been about 15.years since I bought my Parker Hunter bow. My buddy who shot an old PSE at the time was amazed at how a newbie like could nail the bullseye from 30 yards. I credit the bow and the pro shop that tuned it for me. Even near bows should be better still.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That last should read "Even new bows..."

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I figure I will go in there and get all the help I can. I can use any tips and pointers that they will provide. Like I said never archery hunted, so this will be an exciting experience! I'm pretty excited to get up there, we will be arriving on the 2nd. I'll probably try to get in there shortly after we arrive, but after we unpack mostly, so that I can start shooting right away. I figure the longer I shoot the better I should be by season!

Most definitely! If your moving and unpacking involves much plastic wrap, you can save it all and make a handy target or backstop on the cheap.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rchery-targets