Thread: Upper Chena 2016

Default Upper Chena 2016

Time to start the yearly thread for updates. Here's my most recent observation:

Drove to Rosehip Sunday afternoon for a picnic on the gravel bar (that was not submerged). The water level was nice but I did not see a single grayling rising.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

As an aside, the gauge at the MP 40 bridge is a good indicator of safe fishing conditions. I wouldn't want to do much wading if the reading is above 16'.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Time to start the yearly thread for updates. Here's my most recent observation:

Drove to Rosehip Sunday afternoon for a picnic on the gravel bar (that was not submerged). The water level was nice but I did not see a single grayling rising.
    No, with the water this cold they're still pretty deep (although I've caught several on dries in the sloughs, but not on the river). I've done pretty well this week in the 20s-30s running a weighted nymph through pools (also, a weighted beadhead soft hackle that's been just killer during the early season every year). I've only been in the upper 40s/lower 50s once so far and struck out but will probably run up later this week.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    No, with the water this cold they're still pretty deep (although I've caught several on dries in the sloughs, but not on the river). I've done pretty well this week in the 20s-30s running a weighted nymph through pools (also, a weighted beadhead soft hackle that's been just killer during the early season every year). I've only been in the upper 40s/lower 50s once so far and struck out but will probably run up later this week.
    what are the numbers representing? 20s-30s is fish caught? Upper 40s/lower 50s? Or is this miles up the road?

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    what are the numbers representing? 20s-30s is fish caught? Upper 40s/lower 50s? Or is this miles up the road?
    Mile markers up the road
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Sorry I wasn't clearer. If it helps, the rec area starts just after mile 26 and technically ends somewhere around mile 49.

She is the guru of the upper Chena in my opinion! Make sure you listen closely. She's also very willing to share good info on here. Thanks Mishore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    She is the guru of the upper Chena in my opinion! Make sure you listen closely. She's also very willing to share good info on here. Thanks Mishore!
    Thanks - people have been really generous with me over the years and I like to pay it forward. (Plus my personal interest in getting people spread out a bit more on the river ... )

I can confirm catchable grayling in the 40s. Enjoy the holiday weekend and don't start any fires

Dries yet?

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Dries yet?
    Yup, but not consistently. There have been some big mayfly hatches but while they were taking some dries they were mostly staying pretty deep still. Gage at the third bridge says that the water temperature is still staying under 40F (broke 40 yesterday for the first time, but barely).

Where do you find the water temperature stats?

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Where do you find the water temperature stats?
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=15493000

A little more than halfway down the page.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Any updates? I'm a student at the university and relatively new to the area and am wanting to get up there and float some of the upper portion of the river and do some fly fishing and am looking for any helpful tips. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

-Mack

If you can wait probably one more week they will be throughout the river and rising. Personally I don't think you really need to float it. I used to because I could but quickly realized fishing isn't any better than the miles and miles I can wade on foot from multiple road accessible points.

I think we're already in a where-there's-water-there's-fish situation - the fishing this past week has been excellent. And to KMac's comment about floating. If you're willing to bust a little brush there are a lot of excellent holes accessible on foot. A float would be fun for other reasons (esp. if you're planning to camp) but I don't think you need to to find good fishing.

Thanks for the info guys! I ended up floating today from 31.4 to Flat Creek and found plenty of fish. I figured I could find good fishing from the road, but I just bought a new-to-me one man pontoon so I've just been trying to use it as much as possible. It sure is beautiful country out there and I am definitely gonna plan a camping trip one of these weekends. Didn't see a whole lot rising but there were some, I was just fishing a beadhead in a couple holes along the way and hooked up on some nice fish.

I've attached a couple photo links if anyone is interested.
    http://imgur.com/PzT0zJJ
    http://imgur.com/74brgym
    http://imgur.com/7TeyjCo