Thread: Reds -Seward (Timing)

Question Reds -Seward (Timing)

I would like to target the Reds in Seward this year. I believe the time is getting near. Can anyone help narrow down the time of the run in Resurrection Bay?

Thanks in advance.

dg

Check out Alaska Outdoor Journal on Facebook. He has a good post about the run timing. If my brain serves me right there has been a few confirmed catches already and it should get better over the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some starting to creep in but the best is probably a couple weeks away. You can also call a shop in Seward like the Fish House to see what reports they are getting.
    I've historically done best first /second week of June but it fluctuates.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

couple of buddies went out today and limited out in a few hours.

I finished my chores on Saturday and couldn't resist taking a day trip on Sunday just to get out. Amazingly, the weather in Seward was gorgeous without a single cloud in the sky. It's not often I get to fish there in a t-shirt.

Not many people were out of the flats and most were on the first channel. The action was steady but spotty. No schools moving in like at the peak of the run. Just individual fish here and there. In about 3 hours I had 2 on the stringer and headed home. So it seems we're still a week or two away from the steady waves entering the channels.

Can a guy get a small boat into the head of the river to fish them?

I rarely see boats at this fishery. Of those I've seen over the years I've never seen one catch a fish. Where it is deep enough for a boat the fish are all spread out. Once they enter the channel they're concentrated.

The channels are only 20'-30' wide and people will be on both sides so you'll have no clear path to boat anywhere without getting in everyone's way.
    Even if you can get close to the mouth of the channels, which isn't guaranteed given how shallow it is, you'll probably be surrounded by people tossing snagging hooks all around you.

It's a very, very easy fishery to hit on foot. A boat is just more logistics to deal with and from what I've seen your chances of success decrease.

ya what cheeser said... at most you walk out about a quarter mile when the tide is out and then after that its still really shallow and you would also have to dodge the commies and their nets. Just pay the gate keeper of the beach 10 bucks or what ever he decides the cost is for the day.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I saw one hatchery trawler doing drive by's on Sunday but they never dropped their nets. If you see one going by near the shore give them a wave and shout a big "thank you" to them as the hatchery is the reason we have this fishery. Success for the trawlers/hatchery means more years they'll continue to stock this run.

The cost to park is still $5 per person. They seem to be allowing a lot more overnight campers this year and they were all gathered off to one side of the parking lot. I'm not sure what the policy is so you may want to call or stop by to ask before pulling in with your camper.

Thanks - that is what I thought. I did a drive by several years and wasn't sure.

EASTERN DISTRICT: Cost recovery of hatchery produced sockeye salmon returning to release sites in Resurrection Bay is ongoing. Cost recovery vessels are avoiding waters in the Spring Creek area from the Seward Ships Drydock, north to the area of the sawdust pile within 100 feet of the water’s edge between the hours of 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM, 7 days per week. As of Thursday, May 26 a total of only 150 fish have been harvested. CIAA anticipates a return of 171,000 hatchery produced sockeye salmon to Resurrection Bay release sites.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../661013646.pdf
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    I saw one hatchery trawler doing drive by's on Sunday but they never dropped their nets. If you see one going by near the shore give them a wave and shout a big "thank you" to them as the hatchery is the reason we have this fishery. Success for the trawlers/hatchery means more years they'll continue to stock this run.

The cost to park is still $5 per person. They seem to be allowing a lot more overnight campers this year and they were all gathered off to one side of the parking lot. I'm not sure what the policy is so you may want to call or stop by to ask before pulling in with your camper.
    We stayed at the campground Wednesday and Thursday nights as we participated in the Combat fishing tournament. The price was $5 to fish or $10 to fish and camp per person. Fishing was hit or miss but people were still limiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went down for snagging Monday. Got four, lost 2.

Was down there this afternoon. Only saw a dozen or so caught. Did see two guys get tickets for fishing in the no fish zone. Also saw a black bear by the tree line.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Was down there this afternoon. Only saw a dozen or so caught. Did see two guys get tickets for fishing in the no fish zone. Also saw a black bear by the tree line.
    Should a made your trip worthwhile and got a freezer load of bear sausages

Release Lake Trout