Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling for Reds in K-Bay and Cook Inlet

Smile Trolling for Reds in K-Bay and Cook Inlet

I'm starting this post in asking if there any members that have trolled for sockeyes in Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet when they are running. Looking for information as to if a person has to go for out or specific areas one can be successful. Any info on this tipic you can lend would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you wish to also. Thanks

I've seen 2 reds in my life caught trolling. They're plankton feeders but a real small piece of hardware might work.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Caught two in Res Bay a few years back trolling 1/8 oz Pixees. I had heard they could be caught on tiny hardware, and that was the tiniest I had.

I couldn't help you find the reds.
    But I had a customer in my shop lately who claimed he had caught some reds last summer in Cook inlet on some of my saltwater jigs.
    Reeling in the jig from his boat and he happened to catch a few reds.
    I believe he is a member here and maybe if he sees this he will post some more info.
    These were not tiny jigs either.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Not in your area, but I've been playing with the trolling methods from WA, BC and Southeast for the last few years. Lots of good info on the web when you google sockeye trolling techniques. Each year I seem to catch a few more, with the best areas along the current seams around headlands.

Got a real surprise last June when trolling fly rods with 5" black-and-silver streamers for kings in saltwater. Sinking lines with the hooks running about 4' under the surface and following the shoreline in 10'-20' of water and 1.8-2.0pmh. There were lots of small herring about that long in the area, so all species of salmon were really stacking in. We certainly caught a lot of kings, but in the mix we picked up 10 reds over about 2 weeks. Kinda breaks a lot of the rules you'll read about on the web, but this June I'm going to be doing the same thing again following the shoreline near capes where reds are known to be running. Might work and might not, but I certainly have to try it 2 years in a row.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Don't know about trolling, but snagging reds from a boat in skinny water is the most fun you can have....vertically, anyway....
    Pm for areas....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

We have landlocked Reds down here. Flaming Gorge and some local reservoirs. Call 'em Kokanee. 2-3 pounds some years and 3-6 pounds is a great year. All caught trolling. In fact I think it's the only way they're caught. Usually deep 65' on tiny flashers, spinners, hoochies and a kernel of red, flavored corn. The right depth and speed makes the difference between catching and skunking. Not my cuppa, since I go up there every year. And I dare say paddling a kayak at 3-5 mph dragging a cannonball really would get old.

Cablela's carries the tackle.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...h-All+Products

I talked to a guy a few years ago while holed up in Seldovia due to nas-tay weather who claimed he'd figured it out. He was finding jumpers entering the Inlet then top trolling small flies. Or so I remember...

They do this a lot down in BC and we've pulled them out of a lake here in Kodiak while paddling the yaks around and I've picked a few randoms here in the salt. Dodgers or flashers and either bare red hooks or small hoochies. Find them and work them at slow speeds. Hot pins and Chart hoochies. Look at a show on Youtube, BC Outdoors, they have done a couple sockeye shows trolling.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

BC sports have been catching sockeye in the salt for years while trolling and have perfected a flasher and mini-hoochie technique. Sox seem to be attracted to a lot of flash and and 'small presentations". I have read where some prefer to use a small [one to two inch] chrome spoon 20-inches behind an 11-inch Hotspot with cerise side-stripe or a small piece of pink yarn on the hook.

There was a story in AKFishing magazine awhile back about trolling for reds. They were using small jigs very slow, in the 1.0-1.5 range and were catching consistently. I enjoy casting but its interesting.

Guys catch them at river mouths here using fly rods and small wet flies. They usually do quite well, and in some cases they do better than dip netters.

Would a small shrimp pattern work? Or do you have another specific pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    We have landlocked Reds down here. Flaming Gorge and some local reservoirs. Call 'em Kokanee. 2-3 pounds some years and 3-6 pounds is a great year. All caught trolling. In fact I think it's the only way they're caught. Usually deep 65' on tiny flashers, spinners, hoochies and a kernel of red, flavored corn. The right depth and speed makes the difference between catching and skunking. Not my cuppa, since I go up there every year. And I dare say paddling a kayak at 3-5 mph dragging a cannonball really would get old.

Cablela's carries the tackle.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...h-All+Products
    Yes. I grew up at Lake Tahoe which had (at the time, don't know now) a great population of Kokanee. People used to troll and catch them that way all the time. We used very small flashers too. Don't see why a person couldn't figure out how to do it out here in the inlet...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If it's at a river mouth there's probably still enough current that they are basically flossing them too...???

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Not in your area, but I've been playing with the trolling methods from WA, BC and Southeast for the last few years. Lots of good info on the web when you google sockeye trolling techniques. Each year I seem to catch a few more, with the best areas along the current seams around headlands.

Got a real surprise last June when trolling fly rods with 5" black-and-silver streamers for kings in saltwater. Sinking lines with the hooks running about 4' under the surface and following the shoreline in 10'-20' of water and 1.8-2.0pmh. There were lots of small herring about that long in the area, so all species of salmon were really stacking in. We certainly caught a lot of kings, but in the mix we picked up 10 reds over about 2 weeks. Kinda breaks a lot of the rules you'll read about on the web, but this June I'm going to be doing the same thing again following the shoreline near capes where reds are known to be running. Might work and might not, but I certainly have to try it 2 years in a row.
    Would like to give that a try myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Guys catch them at river mouths here using fly rods and small wet flies. They usually do quite well, and in some cases they do better than dip netters.
    Inconceiiiivable!

Beings there's more people dipneting and flossing in the rivers and making things overcrowded, I would more guys would try trolling for them out in the salt and trying the methods that the mentioned shows and you tube videos have shown. The problem I would think is locating them in such a big body of water and being there when there running. I know areas on the south side of Kachemak Bay have sockeye runs every year.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Inconceiiiivable!
    It's all true! sometimes when the reds are milling around below the falls the casters catch them non stop, while the dipentters only catch the few that trickle up the river. Not always like that but I've seen it happen many times.

Also nobody i know 'flosses' sockeyes or any other salmon down here. Our rivers on a busy day are like south central when you 'have it all to yourself'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast