Thread: Anyone have a hewes river runner?

Default Anyone have a hewes river runner?

I picked up a 19' river runner for cheap. The guy hit a boulder and put a few knuckle sized dents in the bottom. Said it leaked like a sieve. I looked underneath and there aren't any cracks on the outside. I pulled the floorboards and foam and I only see dents and loose rivets.

How do I go about repairing this....My plan was to take some 5200 and drill out the old rivets, have a buddy hold a bucking bar and replace all the bad rivets. I need new foam and floorboards, both are waterlogged. Not much else.

If it floats ok, I would buy a suzuki 140/100 jet. Would this hull hold up to skinny water with gravel bars and sandbars ok?

The foam was required of the manufacturer but not you.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    The foam was required of the manufacturer but not you.
    I see, it wouldn't be a bad idea since I have everything off the boat. I just put it in the river, 2 loose rivets and one missing, that is the extent of the damage. I guess I am looking to replace just those rivets and the floor and motor. Any suggestions on what to use for flooring?

Boat shop has sheets of marine ply for $125, or I can grab some 1/2" ACX and epoxy it with some vinyl or something stapled/glued?

I own a Yamaha F150 on an alweld sled but I think that's a bit too much power and weight for this boat, so I am considering a zuk 140. The Yamaha F115 seems to be almost as heavy as my 150, and the 140 is actually lighter. Yay or nay?

I just finished restoring a 79 18' River runner last year. Got the boat for free, dug out the rotten floor and foam. I also was told it leaked but after a test float it was sound. Didn't foam it and used 5/8" CDX for the floor 2 layers and painted the top with latex floor paint and put down fine sand for traction. I removed the blue carpet from the top deck and the fuel tanks then rhino hyde where the carpet was. only installed 2 new seats so there is lots of room in the back. Repowered it with a 70hp. long shaft Yamaha. I wanted to install a 90hp motor but Dewies said the transom wouldn't hold up to it. Runs great. gets great mileage and cruses at about 25 MPH. Great dip netting boat. I call it the Cheap Date because it is so much cheaper to run than my 28' Glacier Craft. I also rebuilt the trailer and painted it. Total bill was $11,000 Great boat

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    I just finished restoring a 79 18' River runner last year. Got the boat for free, dug out the rotten floor and foam. I also was told it leaked but after a test float it was sound. Didn't foam it and used 5/8" CDX for the floor 2 layers and painted the top with latex floor paint and put down fine sand for traction. I removed the blue carpet from the top deck and the fuel tanks then rhino hyde where the carpet was. only installed 2 new seats so there is lots of room in the back. Repowered it with a 70hp. long shaft Yamaha. I wanted to install a 90hp motor but Dewies said the transom wouldn't hold up to it. Runs great. gets great mileage and cruses at about 25 MPH. Great dip netting boat. I call it the Cheap Date because it is so much cheaper to run than my 28' Glacier Craft. I also rebuilt the trailer and painted it. Total bill was $11,000 Great boat
    How is the flooring holding up? I ordered a few sheets from the boat shop that were already covered with the material.

Got it in the water last night with a yamaha f150 to check for leaks while underway, but the zuki 140 is 100+lbs lighter then that motor. I looked at 115's but many are heavier then that 140.

So far the floor is holding up great. Only have about 25 hrs on it and I keep it under cover when not in use. It was all scrap plywood so if it rots out I'll replace it with marine plywood. So far so good. You should discuss the transom with a professional to see if it will hold up to the torque the motor will put out. Dewies wouldn't mount the 90 on mine due to the added torque and recommend the 70. You wouldn't want the transom falling off in the middle of the sound. Enjoy the new boat.

The DF140 is a excellent motor, I have one on a 19 footer and run prop and jet, on a 18 you will not be disappointed.
    I have used mine to pump, water sand & gravel in many rivers in the interior
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I am very interested in this as I to just picked up a river runner for a price I could not refuse. Had plywood for floors, and pink 2" foam board cut up and shoved under it. It has a 2 stroke yamaha 114 v4 on it right now but it will be replaced at some point. Did you keep the built in gas tanks? Im thinking mine need to go. Cant pull them out to clean them if something ever got in them, can't toss them if ever a fire, things like that. The live well needs to go I'm thinking, replaced with a cooler probably, will see. Has a good gash on the front part of the bow and was welded but looks like its going to leak so a trip to the outfit off palmer-wasilla is in order for proper repair of that. Mine looks like hell, came from the kuskokwim, but seems to be a good hull to build from. Maybe I better start a new thread....

I got the flooring from the boat shop in Fairbanks, very nice stuff I believe I used three sheets at 115 a sheet. Used the excess to cover a 2x4 I ran in the front to replace the dash, ripped up the carpet on the sides of the boat and used a wire wheel and drill to prep it for adhesive and new carpet.

Kept the gas tanks on the sides and installed 4 pedastel seats. If any of the rivets leak, it is really easy to re rivet them. I see cheap 3x guns on eBay for 2-300. Stick some 5200 on the rivets and it'll be better then new if you use larger 1/4" ones. I would check the rivets near the weld. Personally I wouldn't weld a riveted boat.

My advice would be to remove all foam, or stick a bunch in the front if wanted, I've had more trouble dealing with waterlogged foam over the years I don't want the hassle. It's a great boat but I didn't want to use it to run over gravel bars so I bought a sportjet but this style is nice for cruising the rivers

Quote Originally Posted by roamak View Post
    I am very interested in this as I to just picked up a river runner for a price I could not refuse. Had plywood for floors, and pink 2" foam board cut up and shoved under it. It has a 2 stroke yamaha 114 v4 on it right now but it will be replaced at some point. Did you keep the built in gas tanks? Im thinking mine need to go. Cant pull them out to clean them if something ever got in them, can't toss them if ever a fire, things like that. The live well needs to go I'm thinking, replaced with a cooler probably, will see. Has a good gash on the front part of the bow and was welded but looks like its going to leak so a trip to the outfit off palmer-wasilla is in order for proper repair of that. Mine looks like hell, came from the kuskokwim, but seems to be a good hull to build from. Maybe I better start a new thread....