Thread: For the die hard penn dwn rig guys..

Charterboat Operator

Default For the die hard penn dwn rig guys..

image.jpgWe have Been hand cranking penn 600's for years, they stopped making them a while back.. What do you think of these??

I ran penns last summer. Hated them at first then I figured out how to run them and boated a lot of kings. They're good while they last, which on a charter boat isn't long.

I hate it when the belt breaks or the wiring goes bad on my Penn hand cranks 10 years on my charter boat and never even had to change one electrical part on them!

I haven't used the, but the guys on the Hull Truth down south are speaking good about them.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    I ran penns last summer. Hated them at first then I figured out how to run them and boated a lot of kings. They're good while they last, which on a charter boat isn't long.
    I don't agree with this statement. Penn's are super durable and easy to use. Can't really get much simpler. I have expensive cannon electrics on the boat, but I prefer to use my Penn's

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I don't agree with this statement. Penn's are super durable and easy to use. Can't really get much simpler. I have expensive cannon electrics on the boat, but I prefer to use my Penn's

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Hoose, I think that this is a testament to our age. Old school is what we know. It has been tried and proven. That being said, technology is pretty darn cool, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If I was still using downriggers, I'd be using Penn manuals. I never had a problem with any of mine (in the past) that I couldn't easily fix over-night at home with spare parts.

It's good to see that someone is producing a downrigger based on the discontinued Penn units. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one if they were built to the same durable standards that Penn used for years.

I'm a big fan of Cannon manuals. I won't have electrics on the boat. I had issues with handles breaking off and seized bolts on the Penns. Of course I was in Gustavus with no freshwater washdown other than rain trolling in a crowd around pinnacles. So YMMV.

WD-40 will stop most of that trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    I'm a big fan of Cannon manuals. I won't have electrics on the boat. I had issues with handles breaking off and seized bolts on the Penns. Of course I was in Gustavus with no freshwater washdown other than rain trolling in a crowd around pinnacles. So YMMV.

WD 40 is great but there are better spray oils, WD 40 dryes out an leaves a sticky mess over time I think
    SID

I am still using the same pair of Penn manuals with 4ft booms I bought almost 40 years ago.
    They are on there 3rd boat. The booms have been shortened to fit my arm length for my current boat.
    I have switched from wire to 200-lb spectra. I fish one line from each.
    I attach my release to a 3-ft leader off the weight.
    I clean and lube them every year.
    Sometimes the drag washer will slip. I use sand paper to rough up the washer.
    In all these years I have replaced the drag washers once. I also broke one tip roller.
    Unless you fish deep water I think manuals are the way to go.