Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass boat help

Default Fiberglass boat help

So I was gifted an old Fiberglass boat, it has a gouge on rear corner and has been worn down up near the front where it's been run aground many times. I'm looking to do some repairs, but was hoping somebody on here had any past experience with this. I was thinking about just throwing some herculiner on the interior and calling it good. I don't think any of the damage is catastrophic, but would potentially pose a threat. I'll post more pics later if that helps.

Here's a basic picture from when I first started power washing the ugly beast.

Thanks!!

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

I use toilet bowl cleaner. To clean my boat works better than anything. With green scrub pad and elbow grease to have it looking new!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FEHPHrtiWlk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Cough cough.....I've experienced that yoo

What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Quote Originally Posted by akfisherman View Post
    Cough cough.....I've experienced that yoo

Any words of wisdom?

Here are some updated pictures...I think it'll float right now, but for how long? That I don't know.

I decided it needed patched so I got to work today. I sanded, did some cutting and applied fiberglass patches and resin. Once dried and sanded I'll post the after pictures.

I don't know it this is true or not I've been told a couple of coats of clear coat will help protect the fiberglass from getting water logged.

Did you try wet sanding the bottom to get back to white. 500 grit. I know a little bit about fiberglass. Which I learned by watching utube videos, My boat.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

No I have not tried that, I'll have to try that later this week once I finish the patch work. Thanks for the idea, I hadn't heard of that yet.

These are products I use starting with the toilet bowl cleaner. Green Scotch-Brite. If it's a really bad stain the 500 grit sandpaper.

Thanks for the help man! Hopefully this time next week I have pics of me on the lake!! Fingers crossed.

Those are essentially very minor fiberglass damage as far as I'm concerned. if you still need help/advice PM me and I'de be glad to help you.

try "the works" tiolet bowl cleaner about a buck a bottle at wallyworld. If that doesn't work get some oxalic acid aka wood bleach, it comes in a powder form that you mix with water, you can find it at paint stores, works great on fiberglass stains and doesn't etch the gelcote like other acids do. You might even try some Castrol Super Clean on those stains. You did a nice job grinding/sanding that corner now get some fiberglass mat and start laying up a new corner. If i was closer i'd stop by and give ya a hand.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

So this is after layering fiberglass matting and applying the resin. The one issue I ran into was creating a solid backer to lay the matting on so as not to create the "dimple." The reason I couldn't create a backing for it is because the inside of the spot where the hole is, there is a hollow bench seat. Therefore no access from the inside of the boat, and I really did not feel like cutting into it just to make this patch job easier just to deal with an extra patch job later, or unnecessary modification.

I'm letting it cure over night, then gonna do a bit more sanding so I can add a few larger matting pieces to strengthen it more.

I may try building up the "dimple" a bit more before adding more large matting pieces. And then sanding down the edges to be flush with the untouched area.

Thoughts?

Looks pretty good you have a solid backing now. Keep building it out then sand and shape.

Quote Originally Posted by as.ks.ak View Post
    So this is after layering fiberglass matting and applying the resin. The one issue I ran into was creating a solid backer to lay the matting on so as not to create the "dimple." The reason I couldn't create a backing for it is because the inside of the spot where the hole is, there is a hollow bench seat. Therefore no access from the inside of the boat, and I really did not feel like cutting into it just to make this patch job easier just to deal with an extra patch job later, or unnecessary modification.

I'm letting it cure over night, then gonna do a bit more sanding so I can add a few larger matting pieces to strengthen it more.

I may try building up the "dimple" a bit more before adding more large matting pieces. And then sanding down the edges to be flush with the untouched area.

Thoughts?

I would have filled the hole first with some sort of filler or structural putty. My favorite filler to use is Fiberlay Fiberfill. I like that it uses catalyst instead of hardener and uses the same catalyst as resin and gelcoat. Once it has cured, sand it flush with the surface and then proceed with the glass work. Sometimes I just full a void with fiberfill and then immediately lay my glass and resin over it. It all cures together so it really doesn't matter. I paint resin onto a pad or cardboard first and lay my piece of fiberglass onto the resin puddle and allow it to completely saturate and turn from white to transparent. Then brush resin onto the surface you wish to glass. Apply wet saturated fiberglass to the area you just applied the resin. Brush out all air bubbles and excess resin. Allow to cure.

Also keep in mind that you can apply multiple layers of fiberglass at once. There is no reason to allow it to cure, and sand it between layers. It will save you a lot of time! When applying multiple layers, apply the layers so the patches get larger and cover the previous layer. Once your done glassing, feather out the edges of the glass and blend it into the existing glass. Then it's time to gel coat.

I get that. The issue I had here was net being able to access the backside do do a filler or any type or structure to use as a backer. So i put down these three layers and let them cure, so that now I can build it up now that I have something to use as a backer.

If that makes sense.

Well here we are. Just need to feather it out and gel coat that SOB.

Quote Originally Posted by as.ks.ak View Post
    I get that. The issue I had here was net being able to access the backside do do a filler or any type or structure to use as a backer. So i put down these three layers and let them cure, so that now I can build it up now that I have something to use as a backer.

If that makes sense.

You don't need a backer of any kind, the filler is not going to ooze out of the hole. Just fill it up from one side and don't use a lot of pressure pushing the filler through the damaged area. That being said, your repair is looking great.

thats cloth your using, mat is different its really called chop mat. Would of been nice if you could of got a few layers spread out inside. You don't have that much strength with 3 layups of cloth. I can't tell from your picture if you started with a small piece of cloth then overlapped each layer with a bigger piece of cloth. Good tip on wetting out the mat/cloth on a piece of cardboard.
    this is mat.
    one of these rollers also makes short work of getting all the air bubbles out of the mat or cloth
    https://youtu.be/0TdTmqCA5G0

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast