Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Downrigger release clip

Default Best Downrigger release clip

What is the best release clip for downriggers?
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-16-2016 at 07:38.

My wife is usually running the downriggers and she prefers the Canon. Therefore....

But I vastly prefer DuBro releases. They're easy to adjust and really consistent, but seldom seen in Alaska. I got used to them while fishing with outrigger poles and with kites for big fish in blue water, and they got kinda ingrained in my brain. But i'm pointing the boat rather than running the downriggers, so I don't get a vote.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

How do these type of releases work when the auto up button is pushed and the rigger brings the ball up to the top - does the release slip down the cable to the ball when it hits the front wheel/pulley of the downrigger?

I've been using Offshore Releases since the 80's and they're still my favorites.
    I usually end up replacing the cable with a longer and heavier one.
    With it being longer it really shows when you get those light biters or hook a shaker.

http://www.offshoretackle.com/downriggerreleases.html

I was brought up using rubber bands as releases on Lake Michigan and I still use them to this day.

Well I would... if I had a boat. Lol
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I am wanting to upgrade from what you are showing. My current ones are double what is shown for stacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all below the terminal clip on your wire. I have mine on a short length of 300# mono with a clip at each end to put between the end of the wire and ball. Anyone who hasn't use them will find it fiddly to twist the line half a dozen times before putting it over the hook in the clip, but it's automatic for me. I use big flashers with extra bend in them a lot of times, so lines have to be pretty darned secure in the releases. Then I'll turn around and troll bare spoons or especially bare cutplugs and releases have to be pretty light. Adjustment is especially easy with the DuBro's and it's 100% consistent, compared to the by guess and by golly of using the standard "clothespin" style releases. But my wife still prefers clothespins!

Dunno about versions to set further up the wire for stacking lines, but I bet they exist. Just never tried them.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

My favorites are the walker bullet releases, but you'll never seen Pollock or small rocks hits unless you set it light enough for them to trip it, so I run the Scotty's mostly. .
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I like the Scotty's. I like the longer mono leader on them. The steel cable leaders hurt my soft hands. I jacked with the Canon adjustable releases for years until I found the Scotty's and like them much better.

I use these quite a bit and like them a lot. They release when they hit the boom when retrieving the ball and slide down the cable. They have adjustable tension as well:

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Chamb...rigger-Release

I saw several good reviews on the chamberlains but didn't see how they attach to the cable. Does the white plastic piece wedge against the cable and then pull loose so it can slide down when the fishing main line releases?

It attaches at an angle and then it sets by pushing the plastic piece down while pulling up on the release. It sets well I've never had it release and have never lost one. The tensioner allows you to specify exactly how much hold you want on the release depending on your bait/flasher weight and pull. I bought 4 thinking I'd lose or break one but still have the same 2 in use for over a year.

I'm going to have to try one of the chamberlains.

The only caution I have is to make sure you round out your turns. The lines like to wrap up on sharp turns when stacking. Also make sure your top line is further back. Other than that the Chamberlains are great for stacking.

I prefer Scotty releases. For stacking they have a double clips setup that attaches to the wire and they work really well. I have used sing le setups with scotty 's for years and I have run a few stacks.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...rgrip-plus.htm
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

I have the scotty double stacks now. Hoping to upgrade....

I do that now timinhomer but have not had any issues with tangling (yet).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast