Thread: What is the purpose of a "wine-glass" stern on a canoe?

Question What is the purpose of a "wine-glass" stern on a canoe?

Not wanting to high-jack another's thread, or start a brand war, either . . . . . and knowing that every boat design feature is a compromise between sometimes conflicting performance variables;

What is the marine-architecture purpose of the wine-glass shape of some square-stern canoes?

Thanx, Dave.

PS - Even if you don't like, or agree with that purpose.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

A "true canoe" is a double ended displacement hull. The front parts the water, the stern puts it back, some say that putting the water back even pushes the boat forward. Makes a large canoe with a heavy load easier to paddle, or push with a small motor. That's why a good canoe is so nice to paddle.

The wineglass is just at transom slapped to the top of the stern of a double ended canoe. Shape differs, but the idea is to put the water back, and push the boat forward as efficiently as possible. Purists pontificate that the roiling being a float transom is a loss of efficiency because the water isn't coming back together and pushing the boat forward. The wineglass is efficient at its speeds, but squats if you try to make it plane.

Quote Originally Posted by aknative1987 View Post
    The wineglass is efficient at its speeds, but squats if you try to make it plane.
    All this years I thought it was where you told the fat guy to sit!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    All this years I thought it was where you told the fat guy to sit!! LOL
    That too! Putting the Fat Guy to the extreme rear to run the motor will add to the squat for sure. I've always preferred a side mount and motor for modest sized canoes......16'-18' canoe with a side mount and 2-4 hp motor is a preferable way to go for me and I ran thousands of miles that way in my youth. The Fat Guy can move forward a bit and prevent some of that squat.

I recently saw a Maine Game Wardens TV show where the warden was running an 8 horse on what looked like a 20' canoe with side mount......I've never tried one that large but found it very interesting.......keeping in mind that that Game Warden and myself ran mostly lakes and deeper rivers and not Alaska's glacial fed, braided and shallow rivers.

The side mount operated motor is much handier to operate as it doesn't require extended handles or reaching way back for control.

The only reason I'm not currently running a canoe with side mount is the lack of suitable outboard motors on the market. Today's small outtboards [2-5hp] are single cylinder engines that appear to mostly be made by one manufacturer. I've tried several in the premium brands and found all to be extremely noisy with excessive vibration. They tell me that the noise mostly comes from the intake box. Whatever!

Honda has a small air-cooled model but the darn thing has a centrifugal clutch that kicks it out of gear near idle speed.....so there goes my lake trout trolling.

I gave my1965 Evinrude Duck Twin to my niece and she still runs it. I sure wish there was a comparable motor today....weedless drive and all.

I have a Grumman side mount sitting in my shed if some one can use it $25

We've known one person to run a 15hp 2-stroke on a side mount with lift on a 20' double ender. It works fine, you just need to find a way to offset the weight. In this case, he mounted tool boxes to the other side.