Thread: Fishing Trip in Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula

Default Fishing Trip in Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula

Will have a trip mid July in Anchorage, we are gonna having the RV about 12 days, mainly for fishing, any hot spots around Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula? The more details , the better.

Thanks in advance!

Do your homework. Pick up the Highway Angler by Pederson that identifies where to go in terms of location, and my book Alaska Fishing on a Budget that identifies commuter fishing expectations. Combine them with the Milepost that defines everything in between.

July is peak season. Expect crowds and good fishing if you are in the know...

Rosenberg; Bellevue, WA
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by e2mirage View Post
    Will have a trip mid July in Anchorage, we are gonna having the RV about 12 days, mainly for fishing, any hot spots around Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula? The more details , the better.

Thanks in advance!
    It's possible there will be a few sockeyes in the kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    It's possible there will be a few sockeyes in the kenai.
    Ya think?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ecast-for-2016

If you're thinking you wanna partake, this just MIGHT be helpful...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...es-for-sockeye
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

FWIW: if this is your first trip down the Kenai, spend the money and book a day trip with a local guide. Mid-July fishing can be quite crowded and intimidating. Its depressing getting all fired up for your first trip on the Kenai just to go home empty-handed. BTDT.

Our first fishing trip in AK was a motorhome trip down the Kenai. We read every book we could get our hands on, had all the right flies/lures, and just knew we'd have a blast limiting out every day. We river-hopped all the way to Homer and Seward. Nada. Nothing. All of the good spots were heavily crowded, all the empty spots were empty for a reason. It was a bad introduction for me to fishing in AK.

Also, the campsites down Sterling Hwy tend to be packed full during the red runs. The ones that can be reserved are are competitively reserved way in advance. We found ourselves camping overnight in pull outs on the side of the highway, especially near Russian River area.
    Fly fishing makes me herl

True, it gets a little busy along the Kenai mid-July!
    Don't:
    River hop all over, looking for solitude.
    Expect to find riverside camping/fishing spots without reserving in advance.
    Expect to limit out everyday
    Do:
    Expect it to be BUSY. Golden rule...where there are salmon, there are people, and vice versa.
    Your homework, like you're doing now.
    WATCH. Learn, talk to people. There are plenty of rude people, but there are also lots of good, helpful people.
    People are much more likey to welcome you next to them in a busy location if you're respectful and have a clue.
    The Russian is tough with an RV. You MIGHT still be able to get a camping spot, check now. They have 12 hr parking spots, but very few for RV's, unfortunately.
    Be prepared...to walk. RV's are my fav way to go, but when it's busy the parking is hard to come by, especially at fishing spots.
    Bikes are a great idea, especially at the Russian. You can park in the overflow and bike in.

if you want to have a little more room while fishing make sure you sleep during the day and fish at night. We do most of our fishing from midnight to 6am.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    if you want to have a little more room while fishing make sure you sleep during the day and fish at night. We do most of our fishing from midnight to 6am.
    solid idea, and I do it often, but be aware that bears tend to show up more in low light hours, especially at the Russian. And less people are around to walk back and forth from the campground. Really not an issue on the lower Kenai around Soldotna.
    Not a dire warning by any means, just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    solid idea, and I do it often, but be aware that bears tend to show up more in low light hours, especially at the Russian. And less people are around to walk back and forth from the campground. Really not an issue on the lower Kenai around Soldotna.
    Not a dire warning by any means, just something to keep in mind.
    Thats why there are less people around! That and I guess some people need to sleep
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

sleep is SO overrated...

Emirage -

Ping me via email and we can trade some more details. I should be up in Anchorage and the peninsula and can give you some pointers. I grew up on the Peninsula. jamesfc10@yahoo.com