Thread: clueless about AK 47 mags

Default clueless about AK 47 mags

A friend called me today wanting my advice on AK 47 magazines. I had no answer for him but told him that I would ask you guys and get back to him.

He also asked if the AK platform was tougher than.the AR platform and I said but of course. Feel free to voice your opinion on this matter as well.

In my experience, it's hard to improve on the magazines the Russians supplied with them.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Yep, Hodgman nailed it. Hard to beat the steel combloc mags. Russian, Chinese, Bulgarian, Polish, all have worked well for me.

As a side note converting a SKS to AK mags seldom work on the long haul
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    As a side note converting a SKS to AK mags seldom work on the long haul
    I way prefer the original SKS magazine and stripper clips.

Was telling an aquaitance in western IA about my Russian SKS. He was telling me about his knock off AK with a thumbhole stock(which is a step backwards if you ask me). He made sure that I knew that the SKS was replaced by a much superior AK47. If only he could find a magazine that would work in his.

My buddy Ray has a new in the box Norinco Paratrooper SKS that is factory set up for magazines. He wants me to take it home with me. The first thing I would do with it if it can be done is convert it to the original 10 round magazine so as to function with stripper clips. He's made me a deal that I can't refuse so I'll most likely end up with it. I've only seen it briefly and have not studied the magazine set up on it yet.
    Our western Iowa coyote hunt has been a bust. 40-50 mph winds all weekend. Gonna be headed back to the other side of the state in a little bit. Momma gets to drive and I'm going to read all those SKS links you gave me.

On a side note. Butch was so successful killing coyotes with 10 rounds in his SKS that I laugh at the AR coyote hunters that need 30&40 round mags. Butch seldom needed half of his 10 rounds because he was aiming. Those younger AR crowd throw 40 rounds at the hill side that the coyote is running across without seeing their sights. All of Butch's miss were near misses because he was expecting a dead yote each shot.....no spray and pray for Butch.

I'm curious why he can't seem to find a mag to fit his AK, they are everywhere. What kind of AK is it? Has the mag well been converted to accept double stack mags? CDNN sells em all day long. All things being equal, AR's are more accurate than AKs. Sounds like them AR fellas down yonder need to slow down a bit and learn to shoot.

AK thumb hole stocks, IMO they are junk. I think they were used to get around the Clinton ban in the 90's but I might be wrong.

Magpul.. 'nuff said https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-30-ak-akm-gen-m3

As for the AR vs. AK debate... today's AR is not the 1964 M-16. It has undergone significant improvements in the 50 years it has existed. I have beat the living snot out of several of mine and I've had zero issues.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

[QUOTE=2dawgs;1540207]I'm curious why he can't seem to find a mag to fit his AK, they are everywhere.

I've never seen the gun but would imagine that it's a parts gun. He can't make it run for some reason and has in his head that it's the mag. The AK is one gun that I just never payed with a lot so my experience is limited. I told him that I had good luck with Mag Pul in other rifles and would not be afraid to try one of those. There are a gazillion different mags out there for the AK and I don't know the bad ones from the good ones.

Will, I passed on the Paratrooper. It had the fixed magazine well and could not be converted back to the original SKS swing open magazine. It had a 30 round magazine in it and it was wobbly...did not like it. I'll keep looking for the "true" SKS version.

I think the para trooper or cowboy carbine was something mostly made up for Navy Arms. Never saw one in VietNam
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I think the para trooper or cowboy carbine was something mostly made up for Navy Arms. Never saw one in VietNam
    I agree, was made for the civilian market. I have a hankering for one for out the window shooting at coyotes. However I haven't seen one go for under $500 and the thats to much for anything stamped Norinco.