Thread: montana creek regs

Default montana creek regs

I was looking at the regs for montana creek specifically page 31. The first part says : Entire drainage including all waters within 1/2 mile of its confluence with the Susitna river are no retention of rainbow/steelhead trout and artic grayling.

The second part says from its mouth upstream to 1/2 mile above the Parks Jan1-June20 open to all species including king salmon.

Isn't the mouth of the river and the confluence with the Susitna the same place? If so, and the first part of the regs is true then the second part of the that says it's open to all species is not true because you cannot keep rainbow trout and grayling.

any thoughts?

It is no retention any time any place for rainbow trout.

The marker 1/2 mile upstream from the parks is the salmon boundary. You may never fish for any species of salmon above that point.

The salmon fishery is open below that for all species unless closed by emergency order. The past few years this has meant no retention of king salmon and a limited catch and release fishery, normally restricted to weekends only.

So basically you can fish for resident species the entire length of the system but you cannot retain rainbow trout anywhere. Salmon are below the marker with bag limits being set by regulation and emergency order. Even though it says it is "open" to all is meant to read that you may fish there but have to abide by retention limits.

Yeah, I found it a little confusing just because I had never been there. I will be there for 4 days at the beginning of June!! Can't wait, hopefully we catch a king or 2!!

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    It is no retention any time any place for rainbow trout.

The marker 1/2 mile upstream from the parks is the salmon boundary. You may never fish for any species of salmon above that point.

The salmon fishery is open below that for all species unless closed by emergency order. The past few years this has meant no retention of king salmon and a limited catch and release fishery, normally restricted to weekends only.

So basically you can fish for resident species the entire length of the system but you cannot retain rainbow trout anywhere. Salmon are below the marker with bag limits being set by regulation and emergency order. Even though it says it is "open" to all is meant to read that you may fish there but have to abide by retention limits.

Thank you for the reply. That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    Yeah, I found it a little confusing just because I had never been there. I will be there for 4 days at the beginning of June!! Can't wait, hopefully we catch a king or 2!!
    Just don't remove them from the water. The hook must be removed while they are in the water and then released. No pulling them out even for a picture or it is considered retention, which is ILLEGAL.

I did not understand the EO, they make it a little confusing. That sucks!

Agreed. That seems to be a chronic problem with ADF&G. However, make no mistake, they will cite you if you remove the fish from the water. I'm not just talking about pulling it up onto the bank, I'm talking lifting it out in any way whatsoever. I just would hate for your trip to be ruined by doing something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    I did not understand the EO, they make it a little confusing. That sucks!

Yeah that would thanks for looking out Yellowstone!

You would think they could write something simple like, "Catch and release only. Don't remove the fish from the water." End of story. But for some reason they see fit to include all sorts of mumbo jumbo. Makes it difficult to understand, which might be why so many people don't follow the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    You would think they could write something simple like, "Catch and release only. Don't remove the fish from the water." End of story. But for some reason they see fit to include all sorts of mumbo jumbo. Makes it difficult to understand, which might be why so many people don't follow the regs.
    Writing regulations is job security for lawyers.