Thread: Tender protection?

Default Tender protection?

Local Hewes salesman said it's important to coat tenders that sit on top of the canopy with a protectant. Makes sense to me that the uv and saltwater exposure could dry them out but what product do you all use for this purpose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Tender protection?

I haven't done anything to mine in 3 years other than wash it with simple green. Still looks new.

Sales man are there to get you spend your money

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I was once listening to Click and Clack and the caller said a sales person at a repair shop talked him into an "engine shampoo" cleaning and those two guys couldn't stop laughing and making fun of the caller for 10 minutes.

Skip the tender UV and saltwater coating. Rinse it off after every trip and maybe even store it indoors. Almost all inflatables go bad from sitting forever outside and nothing can save them from that. If you want it to last store it indoors.

Sobie2

Not so sure guys makes too much sense to not coat it with a rubber protectant. Btw: he doesn't even carry any such product. But thanks for your 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by timinhomer View Post
    Not so sure guys makes too much sense to not coat it with a rubber protectant. Btw: he doesn't even carry any such product. But thanks for your 2 cents.

My 2 bits agrees that protectant is not a bad idea and is a cheap insurance buffer compared to the cost of a new tender or repair thereof. Probably the best protection would be cheap uv protected plastic tarp draped over the tender when not in use, and as Mike suggested, rinse the tender off after each trip. When you go boating, leave the tarp at home. Equates to serious protection for zip money.

isn't there something called formula 303 ?? maybe this is it http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303...ace-protectant.

I'd at least use some armor all on it then cover it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Use 303 like Steve said. It is expensive, but it is recommended for hypalon or pvc. It sure kept my old zodiac looking good and it was a 1983 model. A gallon will last a long long time. For a tender you can get by with a quart for a few years.

UV's ate one of my tenders. I put a good cover on them now. They are not that expensive, come in a wide variety of colors and they dress up the boat a little.
    My .02
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

You could always get a cover made for it if you really wanted to.

use 303. not armeral. it's difficult to patch over Armeral. 303 is the right stuff. I've used it for years. my dinghy was 28 years old and I still sold it for $200 and bought a new one.