Thread: Anyone ever ferried a boat to kodiak from homer before?

Default Anyone ever ferried a boat to kodiak from homer before?

Hi, I am looking at ferrying a boat to kodiak and I am curious on rates. I haven't contacted the ferry for a quote yet but was just curious if it is easy to ferry one across? I have heard you don't need to bring your pickup because you can pay for them to launch your boat over there is that true? I've got a 20ft alumacraft that I'd like to take over there or possibly my 28ft bayliner not sure if they'd let that one across lol but yeah if anyone has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate the info!! Thank you for your time!!

I'm looking to do the same thing with my 24 Sea Sport. Wanting to take it over in April next year, leave in Kodiak for May to mid June. Just starting to look at options.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Yeah it would be awesome if I could get my 28ft bayliner over there for next spring for my bear hunt!

Unless your going to do this right away your only option is going to be the Tustemena out of Homer. The Tusty doesn't have a stern ramp so everything has to load on the turntable. The turn table has a maximum length of 40'. If your boat and tow vehicle is longer than 40' you have to have a helper to do what they call a double shuffle. You usually load your vehicle, then have someone back your trailer onto the turntable and unhook it. They lower it onto the car deck then hook you back onto it and back it down into position. When you get to Kodiak you have to do the same thing to get it off. There are companies on both ends that will help you. Last time I used one they charged me $50.00 to assist. I just got a ticket from Whittier on the Kennicott and it ran me right at $1250.00 for a vehicle boat combo that measures 54'. I got hit with an over width charge also because I'm 9.5' wide. It's a little cheaper going out of Homer because of the sailing time. I don't know for sure but I don't see why the company in Kodiak wouldn't launch your boat for you when you get there.

I see a couple posts after I started to reply. The tusty goes into the shipyard for its annual overhaul in the spring so you may get to use the Kennicott. If you load in Whittier, they have a stern ramp and you just drive it on. It also has a 53' turntable. If you can keep your length under 53' you don't have to do a double shuffle. The Ferry charges extra for a double shuffle. I don't know how much though.

Awesome thank you for the info! I'll have to do some figuring to see if I can keep it under 53 feet. I am assuming that is a one way price or am I wrong?

Yes, that is one way. Like I said it's cheaper to travel out of Homer. I think the sail time is around 12 hours and out of Whittier it's around twenty hours.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Default Anyone ever ferried a boat to kodiak from homer before?

Another thing to consider is depending on the fuel burn of your boat you can drive it from Homer to Kodiak if you get a weather window. It's 125 miles 1 way. At 18 knots its roughly 7 hours. I have done it and we got a good weather window and it was a great trip, well worth it and was the same cost as riding the ferry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easy to get across on ferry, but like others said, double shuffle may be needed, it was $35 last time I did it on each end. YOu will need your truck to get boat around in town and into the water.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by AKRazn View Post
    Another thing to consider is depending on the fuel burn of your boat you can drive it from Homer to Kodiak if you get a weather window. It's 125 miles 1 way. At 18 knots its roughly 7 hours. I have done it and we got a good weather window and it was a great trip, well worth it and was the same cost as riding the ferry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I would love to make this trip. I've been out to Shuyak and my goal, if weather window would allow, would be to spend a day or two fishing there then head to Kodiak. I've got 200 nm range on my boat, and much more with 60 gallons in the poly drums.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I'm spitballing based on 2010 rates for a truck and 28 ft goose-neck but figure $3,500 RT for a 22 ft truck hauling 23-24 feet of trailered boat.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

We took a 26' Kingfisher over on the Kennicott a few years ago for a spring bear hunt when the Tusty was in for repairs. Still had to do the double shuffle unfortunately as we were a couple feet too long, but it wasn't too bad (triple axle trailer). We then drove to Larson bay to launch as we were headed to Afognak. What a blast. I think it was about $3,500. But compare that to the cost of a fly-out and it's not so bad considering there were 3 of us. The trip home on the ferry was the best part, cause we got to hear all the stories from the landlubbers - messing with the bear fence so as to not get eaten in their tents, soaking in the rain, and not seeing any bears. Our story was markedly different - warm and dry, lost count of our wildlife sightings, and we came back heavy

Thank you everyone for the info. Greatly appreciated! Smithtb what rage did you have on afognak?! That is the reason I am looking at hauling my boat over there, I drew a DB292 afognak spring bear tag. Is that price round trip? I would guess it is. Thank you.