Thread: Grouse/Ptarmigan population?

Default Grouse/Ptarmigan population?

Hi, I am finally returning to sanity(Alaska) this summer for good after five years in hell(lower 48). Just curious what the grouse and ptarmigan trends have been? I know they generally go on an upward swing and then decrease. Trying to get an idea of what to expect this fall when I hit the woods again. Thanks for any info, cant wait to hear those wings drumming again!

ga2akwild,

Briefly, you couldn't have picked a better time to return to Alaska if you're a bird hunter. I expect my Brittanys and I will have one of the seasons of our lives. And my newest pup will undoubtedly become a real bird dog this fall. Welcome home.

in the interior rabbits have really exploded recently, i'm seeing grouse make get more and more populous, don't seem to be hunted as much as 10 years ago. more for me

Son and I went up north of Willow early yesterday, saw one group of spruce grouse, the youngster got a couple, I missed!
    Attachment 90374Attachment 90375

We are seeing the same thing -- seems like a good grouse year here in the interior.