Thread: Navionics ?

Default Navionics ?

I have the 915P-2South Alaska chart from navionics that I bought about 6 years ago. They want 150 bucks to update it. Is there realy anything worth that much for Kodiak? Anyone know if it's just updated charts or is there some new features?

Thanks
    Kevin
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Bottom features don't change as much as often here as it's all bedrock so I'd say no. If you were somewhere like the outer banks where it changes greatly all the time I'd say yes. Until last season I was running on chart chips from 2007 and there were pretty spot on.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

The biggest changes most of the time have to do with navigation aids, the same ones you get from the coast pilot. NOAA only does bottom survery cruises every decade or so in an area, and most of that's in water deeper than 60' feet. I used to get all of what NOAA calls "smooth sheets" from them in the days of paper charts, which were great big mylars of the "rough draft" of chart surveys intended to be printed as temporary charts on an architect's type of printer. Took about 10 years for the smooth sheet data to appear on the printed charts.

Bottom line, Navionics and everyone else is getting the data for their charts from NOAA, and until new survey info comes out, there's not likely to be anything but updates to nav-aids you see in the coast pilot. If you're covering big distances and especially entering new ports all the time, yeah the updates are mandatory. If you're in a little boat always working out of the same port and bouncing around the same bottom and shoreline structures, I'd be surprised if you find a single thing different.

Here's something interesting for you. I know folks who work for cartographic firms like Navionics who are turning out the private paper and electronic charts. They always worry about copyright and some other company simply copying their charts and selling those. Their solution is to ADD a little data here and there, especially things like small nearshore rocks (less than 30' of water), that don't actually exist. Not anything that will hurt anybody and cause lawsuits, stuff that doesn't affect navigation due to the remote locations away from usual nav routes but still makes each chart unique for their company. I've found THREE of those ghost rocks in my home waters that are clear as day on the charts, but simply don't exist in the water. Still makes a guy kinda pick up his feet when navigating over or around "rocks" that are on the chart, but nowhere to be found in reality.

Tricky devils, aren't they!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

You can see the detail of their new charts at: https://webapp.navionics.com/#@6&key=wmetJ~fbq%5B

It doesn't have all the features like the current and tides but you can get it to emulate most of their products I think.

You are 100% on the "additions". The small mom n pop bait shops that would put out charts of hot spots on small inland lakes did this for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The biggest changes most of the time have to do with navigation aids, the same ones you get from the coast pilot. NOAA only does bottom survery cruises every decade or so in an area, and most of that's in water deeper than 60' feet. I used to get all of what NOAA calls "smooth sheets" from them in the days of paper charts, which were great big mylars of the "rough draft" of chart surveys intended to be printed as temporary charts on an architect's type of printer. Took about 10 years for the smooth sheet data to appear on the printed charts.

Bottom line, Navionics and everyone else is getting the data for their charts from NOAA, and until new survey info comes out, there's not likely to be anything but updates to nav-aids you see in the coast pilot. If you're covering big distances and especially entering new ports all the time, yeah the updates are mandatory. If you're in a little boat always working out of the same port and bouncing around the same bottom and shoreline structures, I'd be surprised if you find a single thing different.

Here's something interesting for you. I know folks who work for cartographic firms like Navionics who are turning out the private paper and electronic charts. They always worry about copyright and some other company simply copying their charts and selling those. Their solution is to ADD a little data here and there, especially things like small nearshore rocks (less than 30' of water), that don't actually exist. Not anything that will hurt anybody and cause lawsuits, stuff that doesn't affect navigation due to the remote locations away from usual nav routes but still makes each chart unique for their company. I've found THREE of those ghost rocks in my home waters that are clear as day on the charts, but simply don't exist in the water. Still makes a guy kinda pick up his feet when navigating over or around "rocks" that are on the chart, but nowhere to be found in reality.

Tricky devils, aren't they!
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Honestly, the phone and tablet app is far more detailed than the upgrade and is only $50/yr.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Thanks guys, pretty much what I figured but wasn't sure if there was some cool new feature I just had to have....
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    You can see the detail of their new charts at: https://webapp.navionics.com/#@6&key=wmetJ~fbq%5B

It doesn't have all the features like the current and tides but you can get it to emulate most of their products I think.
    Great resource, bud dangit, now I'm torn.

I looked in detail at the chart for the home waters I know so well, and in fact they've added new detail in a few places in the shallows. I can confirm it based on my own years of exploring, so it's not that useful to me. But anyone else running my boat (as in beloved wife or son-in-law who visits occasionally), the additions would be really useful. Still not a complete picture of the reefy situation, but a help to anyone who hasn't spent the last 40 years bouncing off the rocks not on the chart.

Ummm..... Kevin- Tough call on whether or not to reach into your checkbook! If you're not going to make like a yellow boat and bet your prop on the rock locations, probably not needed. But if you want to get to know those skinny waters, a better resource than I had guessed.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard