Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would be your rainy day camping in the woods rifle?

Default What would be your rainy day camping in the woods rifle?

Obviously there will be a side arm for staying alive scenarios. Other than that what long gun would you take that was knock around enough to play in the rain for a few fays to a week without you fretting about it. A knock around gun for putting meat on a skewer over an open fire.

Mine through the years has been a beat up Marlin 82 in 22 mag with open sights. It's my beater!

What's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ... play in the rain for a few fays to a week without you fretting about it....
    Been playing out in the rain for over 40 years, so lots of experience with that. Camped for up to 2 weeks in it too, so that's not theoretical. May 1 the NWS reported that since Jan 1 we've had 39 inches of rain, 13 inches above average. Little more challenging, but again, SOSDD.

For me there's been a succession of guns, all with one thing in common whether for small game or large. They wear receiver sights. Period. None of that fancy smansy fog up in the rain glass. They're all also disassembled beforehand and rubbed down real good with Johnson Paste Wax to protect hidden metal, and the interior stock surfaces all sealed with TruOil. I dowse a rag real good in the rust prevention oil flavor of the day (last few years i'ts been Eezox or Barricade), and that goes into a ziploc and travels with me. Rub the gun down each night, and about every other day tear off a corner of the rag and push it through the bore.

After that, it's pick the gun for the use. Knock around is a way of life here. My small game gun is my Marlin 1894 in 25-20, but you knew that. And my knock around big game gun is my Savage 99 in 358, but you knew that too!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

RUGER 77/44 SS (A few shot-shells, a few Brown Bear shells, and a few in-between). 4.7 pounds of eazy2carry-romping'stomping Get'R done.....

That's a nice one for sure, I always thought a .44 mag in rifle would be good knock around. How do the shot shells work? I had some years ago for .22lr and was less than impressed. I carry an 1892 in 45/70, mainly cause that's what I have. I've been thinking of picking up a Henry in .44 mag.

If I am going to mostly be above timberline........I will sometimes take a H&R "Survivor" in 410/.45 Colt.

NOTE: If I carry any type of long-gun, even a single-shot.....Then I do not carry a handgun.

I don't have good results with CCI Handgun shot shells, I still like to carry a few.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    That's a nice one for sure, I always thought a .44 mag in rifle would be good knock around. How do the shot shells work? I had some years ago for .22lr and was less than impressed. I carry an 1892 in 45/70, mainly cause that's what I have. I've been thinking of picking up a Henry in .44 mag.

1895, not 1892. To many numbers floating around in my head.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    RUGER 77/44 SS (A few shot-shells, a few Brown Bear shells, and a few in-between). 4.7 pounds of eazy2carry-romping'stomping Get'R done.....

This a goodern, right there. ,

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Mine is an 1895 Chilean Mauser with only minimum sporterizing. (Same stock, trigger)

It is, of course, a 7x57 (Handloads are Hornady 175 grain RNs)

It has a new post up front and a Receiver Sight in the rear. The action is so smooth, it's a joy to work the bolt. It's fun to shoot and accurate.

I carry it quite often for bear medicine, especially in crappie weather.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I like my rifle pistol combo Henry 44mag mares Leg. My only true rifles are a M-1 carbine and Russian SKS
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I like my rifle pistol combo Henry 44mag mares Leg. My only true rifles are a M-1 carbine and Russian SKS
    I like the threaded barrel Russian SKS too. In harsh conditions they will out live the AR platform by a lot....got more thump too. Twas Ole Butchy's favorite coyote rifle and was effective. He rode with me most of the time and if I could get him in position 100-150 yards broadside of a running flat out coyote he could make them take a dirt nap most of the time with his "Skuz". He just had the original swing open 10 round magazine and a whole ammo can full of loaded stripper clips. I haven't had an SKS for sevral years and want another one for my SHTF weapon. Want, want, want thats all I do is want!

Lots of different places one could go fer a walk a bout on the North American landscape EKC, so I would have to change my choices depending on the terrain and critters I reckon...
    But, I am pretty happy with a Rem 870 with a mix of Birdshot and slugs and a S&W 686 stuffed full of 357 mags and a few light 38s in my pocket, or my trusty old Ruger T512 and a batch of 22 LR's - it has lost its purdy looks many seasons ago, but still drops game like a champ!
    Some packets of Frog Lube and a rag and I am good for several rainy days afield....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I bought my stainless Rossi .44 just for this purpose. I have the stock sealed and every thing waxed and ready for the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Lots of different places one could go fer a walk a bout on the North American landscape EKC, so I would have to change my choices depending on the terrain and critters I reckon...
    But, I am pretty happy with a Rem 870 with a mix of Birdshot and slugs and a S&W 686 stuffed full of 357 mags and a few light 38s in my pocket, or my trusty old Ruger T512 and a batch of 22 LR's - it has lost its purdy looks many seasons ago, but still drops game like a champ!
    Some packets of Frog Lube and a rag and I am good for several rainy days afield....
    Smokey:
    I growed up in MO and IA taint that fur away. I can't remember a rain that lasted longer than a 1/2 hour, though some probably did. A bigger problem would be the creeks going up and flashfloods.

Anyhoo, why do you think ole EKC is worried about getting his gun wet? I always thought he was smart enough to come in outta the rain. He could jist bring his gun in with him.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Do you shoot it one-handed. or two-handed?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Smokey:
    I growed up in MO and IA taint that fur away. I can't remember a rain that lasted longer than a 1/2 hour, though some probably did. A bigger problem would be the creeks going up and flashfloods.

Anyhoo, why do you think ole EKC is worried about getting his gun wet? I always thought he was smart enough to come in outta the rain. He could jist bring his gun in with him.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty I once got lost in a big timber in northern Missouri. It was raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock.. It rained about 5 inches while I was in that woods. All of the creeks I crossed going in were raging white water. I was stranded. After the front passed through the temp dropped to below freezing. Twas a long night.

We had 5 straight days of dreary rainy weather here a while back. Normally 2 or 3 days in a row are about it. BB has had 39 inches already this year. That is about our total for a year or close. I used to love to pheasant hunt in the rain. The dogs excelled in the rain. Didn't bother me or my beat up 37 Ithaca at all.

Smitty, I have spent some time hanging around old EKC and I reckon it would be a coin flip twixt him and a one eyed rooster who would drown first look'n up during a gully washer! If'n he had that shoot'n iron slung over his shoulder it might make it into a dry place, but if'n it was unattached who knows where the old fool might park it and forget?
    I know I have sat in bear stands in many parts of Canada and usually it rained more than it shined, I lubed my guns good and chose SS when in the mood and that worked well, on my archery bear hunts I would wax the bows and that seemed to do the job nicely. Boot wax works pretty good in a pinch on guns too...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Mine is an 1895 Chilean Mauser with only minimum sporterizing. (Same stock, trigger)

It is, of course, a 7x57 (Handloads are Hornady 175 grain RNs)

It has a new post up front and a Receiver Sight in the rear. The action is so smooth, it's a joy to work the bolt. It's fun to shoot and accurate.

I carry it quite often for bear medicine, especially in crappie weather.

SOTN
    Nice choice.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

You guys are bad influences. I now have an urge to pick up a Trapper Carbine in 44 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smitty I once got lost in a big timber in northern Missouri. It was raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock.. It rained about 5 inches while I was in that woods. All of the creeks I crossed going in were raging white water. I was stranded. After the front passed through the temp dropped to below freezing. Twas a long night.

We had 5 straight days of dreary rainy weather here a while back. Normally 2 or 3 days in a row are about it. BB has had 39 inches already this year. That is about our total for a year or close. I used to love to pheasant hunt in the rain. The dogs excelled in the rain. Didn't bother me or my beat up 37 Ithaca at all.
    I guess, my memories could have faded a bit with age. After all, I was a mere child.

Still, what you describe is nothin. Ask Amigo Will how often it rains where he lives. OR how often it stops?

Rain around here isn't very exciting, but it's plenty wet.

I get lost all the time. Some of this country is all alike. If it wasn't for my wife, I'd be one of them turds, he talks about.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast