Thread: Boat Trailer questions

Default Boat Trailer questions

Picked up a used galvanized trailer yesterday in hopes it will work for the boat we are having built. Finished length on the boat will be 21 feet. It is a welded aluminum much like a set net skiff. The trailer I bought is 18 feet from the bow roller and winch to the back of the bunks. I can move the bow roller forward some. Maybe a foot. How much over hang on the back of the trailer would be acceptable? Boat will have a 50 Tohatsu mounted on it.
    Thinking we can buy a longer tongue piece if necessary.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

It's a matter of how far and how rough the road will be, I always try and have the stern of the boat right on the end of the rails The motor should be light enough that you could fudge a few inches. The more overhang and the more stress on the stern. If I was just taking it from the house down to the river a couple miles, I would not worry about a foot of over hang. But if going long distance on rough road, I would make It as close to the rails as possible. Good Luck. Gerberman

I bet you can make that work...A 50 Tohatsu weighs about 210#. Would probably be much more concerning with a real heavy weight hanging off the stern. Could you possibly reposition the bunks or even build new ones to reflect the overhang? You can also reposition the winch mast as you have suggested then road test to be sure you haven't accidentally entered the bull riding event.

On most trailers you can move the post the bow roller/winch are attached to.
    They are usually held on with a pair of U-bolts that go around the tongue.
    You want the hull supported right to the stern. If the bunks stop short of the end the weight of the boat will cause a hook in the hull.
    An area that is actually pushed up which causes all kinds of handling issues with the boat.
    If you can't move the winch post far enough forward extend the tongue.

The trailer is a King salt water model 1750. I'm thinking it isn't rated heavy enough. I will use it for my 16 foot Sylvan and keep looking for another for her.

The Sylvan is sitting on a trailer that is a little small. Would be better suited for a 14 or 15 foot boat. I will be selling that trailer......cheap. Soon.