Thread: Shrimpin in PWS isn's so bad anymore :)

Default Shrimpin in PWS isn's so bad anymore :)

I only go out of Whittier in my skiff until dipnetting on the Kenai, so only in the springtime for me... I have a 21' skiff and cant go all that far, so my locations are limited... The last several years, I've had AMAZING catches in a bay 20 miles out of port. The problem is that a lot of other people must have heard the word and decided to set up there. After memorial day last year the average number of sets in the bay went from 15-25 on a weekend up to 75-100 bouy strings. shrimping was still good so I wasn't worried, as noted by this pic from mid June. I regularly caught 10-15 gallons in a day, but that day was 35 gallons!!!

Attachment 89196

By July, the increased weekend pressure had both dropped my catch rates and the shrimp size. I still wasn't worried, as I had occasionally (rarely) had off days. but it became the norm... This spring I set some pots in my usual spot and went prospecting. Everywhere did better than my usual spot the first 2 trips, so I bailed and went into full time prospecting. found a new bay that I've rarely seen anyone in and dropped 2 pots. Came up with a bunch on a day soak so left it overnight. confirmed the next day and on my next trip, I checked out a few areas and didn't find anything better. Dropped my 2 pots there and came up with 5gal on a 4hr soak and some big ones too!. we have a new spot and its worth my time to go out there again!!!
    21' Koffler skiff
    Chicken of the Ski
    AK4735AB
    MMSI# 338155006

prospecting catches
    Attachment 89197

Attachment 89198
    21' Koffler skiff
    Chicken of the Ski
    AK4735AB
    MMSI# 338155006

even caught a bunch of 10-12 inchers
    Attachment 89199

IMG_4344.jpg
    21' Koffler skiff
    Chicken of the Ski
    AK4735AB
    MMSI# 338155006

Good for you Brother! We're going to have to do the same thing...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573