Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's started planting the 2016 garden ?

Default Who's started planting the 2016 garden ?

I planted potatoes & pea seeds today
    + 3 brussel sprouts.
    Onions have been out for 2 weeks, & doing well

Have been waiting for above 40 nights,
    My area Forecast is for nights in the mid 40s now.

Will start setting some more plants out this weekend.
    a few every few days, staggering & watching the forecast.

Put spinach, carrot, and lettuce seeds in the ground 3 weeks ago - just finally started sprouting well about five days ago. I'm starting to harden off all of my starts tomorrow and will likely plant out on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Have dropped the ball on potatoes and will finally get those going this weekend.

I put Kale and pea seeds in the ground 10 days ago, as well as onion sets. The Kale emerged a day or so ago, which is fantastic. I'm hoping that the warm weather this weekend gets my soil above 50 deg during the days, in which case I'll start transplanting some of my Cole Crops. My hardy tomatoes are going in the plastic low-tunnel this weekend, but I'm not risking most things yet. I'm on the east-side of Anchorage and we are still getting frost some nights.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    I put Kale and pea seeds in the ground 10 days ago, as well as onion sets. The Kale emerged a day or so ago, which is fantastic. I'm hoping that the warm weather this weekend gets my soil above 50 deg during the days, in which case I'll start transplanting some of my Cole Crops.
    In future years, consider starting your kale indoors with all of your other cole crops. They transplant well and never bolt, so there's no disadvantage to starting them early.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    In future years, consider starting your kale indoors with all of your other cole crops. They transplant well and never bolt, so there's no disadvantage to starting them early.
    It's a good idea if you have space, and you can start eating Kale Salads 2 weeks early (or more, I suppose, if you start earlier and use 2-inch pots.) For what it's worth, I have compared yields for starting Kale in 1-inch pots May 1st and transplanting May 23 versus direct seeding May 23, and while I do get earlier yields, my total yield by the two methods was apparently unchanged. I primarily grow Kale for winter storage (I freeze 60 lb a year) so I've dedicated my limited window space to other cole crops (cabbage, broccoli).

By the end of the summer the direct seeded Kale actually had thicker stems and I suspect was growing faster than the transplanted Kale. I believe that the transplanted Kale didn't develop as vigorous root systems, but my investigation of such was admittedly not very scientific or comprehensive. I just pulled up a couple plants in October and convinced myself that I noticed a difference.

Spinach, peas, and beets in. Looks like we're not going to have temperatures below 40 for the foreseeable future. Traditionally we don't plant for real until Memorial Day weekend, but this has been a ridiculous weather year.

(I tend to find the direct-seeded stuff a little more vigorous, too, but our summers in the interior are so short that for a lot of crops that's not an option).
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Forgot that you're more experienced at this than myself, Dan. Good to know about your observations. I've always had great results so I'm going to keep on with what we do, but maybe I'll throw a couple more seeds in as well.

I got a couple tomato plants from Mid Valley, Russian lineage, to try out in the garden.
    Always looking for the tomato I can grow in the garden.
    May plant some this weekend & some later.
    70+ temps makes me want to get stuff hardening off, may be the year for outdoor ripe tomatoes

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    I got a couple tomato plants from Mid Valley, Russian lineage, to try out in the garden.
    70+ temps makes me want to get stuff hardening off, may be the year for outdoor ripe tomatoes
    I transplanted one of those Tom's from Mark's into a 5 gal bucket and set it on the patio.. I planted most of my garden a week ago. Today I have radishes, and half a dozen turnips sprouting. can't see any carrots (yet) Nor have any peas sprouted. The brassicas I got from Jacobson's are looking good. I jumped the gun too much trying to get those cukes going in the GH, They are looking too bad, so started 4 more in the house. I always jump the gun getting toms, cukes, and zuc's started in the house, then they get too big to keep in the house, but it's too early and too cold to move them to the GH. And every year at this time I promise myself I won't start anything before March 15th next year.

Earlier this week I planted green beans, onions, radishes. And for whatever reason Lowes had a watermelon starter and I said why not and threw it in the ground as well. 2 weeks ago I put 2 raspberry bushes out, have never done those so it should be interesting. I don't have a greenhouse yet so I put a couple pepper plants in giant pots to see what happens.

Whats nice about the those three is I can keep dropping seeds every other week until September and before the end of june I should be picking fresh every couple of days all summer into the fall!!! YES!!

I transplanted the two tomato plants Mark gave me, into buckets and have them setting on the back (south facing) patio, they are looking good. Looking at the 10 day wx forecast, with night temps predicted to remain at or above 45* I decided to transplant a couple zucchini plants into a used tire bed, next to the house. They are looking nice and perky this AM. I had been "hardening" them off for the last week and was getting tired of moving them in and out. I've got some crooked yellow squash starts that are going to move into another tire today.

Put out a few tomatoes, ruby & romaine lettuce yesterday
    DSCF6676.jpg

Today, beet & carrot seeds
    1 row of Broccoli & cabbage

GH cucs & tomatoes looking good.
    DSCF6675.jpg

You can't grow tomatoes outside in AK

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    I have, and I live in a windy spot at close to 2,000'. Granted, that was a pretty spectacular summer and they were little cherry tomatoes, but they were delicious. Besides, part of the fun of gardening is trying new things and giving it a shot even if it doesn't work out. All of that said, I no longer bother with tomatoes, but if we have another summer like last year, who knows?

I was joking Brian, I probably harvested 500 lbs outside last year.

I was joking Brian, I probably harvested 500 lbs outside last year.
    Ha! Alright, sorry...in my sleep deprived state last night, apparently I wasn't feeling very humorous.

I used to think that too
    Last year I witnessed loaded tomato plants & ripe tomatoes, planted in the ground, in an outdoor garden

You should've post pictures.

I think the IRT helped , + a sunny , warm Summer .

I have big hopes for Russian varieties .

Put out a few tomatoes, ruby & romaine lettuce yesterday
    DSCF6676.jpg

Today, beet & carrot seeds
    1 row of Broccoli & cabbage

GH cucs & tomatoes looking good.
    DSCF6675.jpg
    I planted carrots back on the 3rd, and yesterday I saw the first few sprouts. only thing left to plant is the Snap Beans. They'll go in the last week of May.

LOL, it's okay Brian, I was just poking at the tomatoheads out there.

I am in a huge seed loop, I trade seeds with people all over the world, and have connections with some very knowledgeable vendors too, some we trade with also. This year I am trialing 11 new varieties from St. Petersburg Russia, which were developed, starting in the 30's, for cold tolerance. When you look at the globe it is about the same parallel as AK, and is also rainy and cold-ish. I tried one of them last year and had very impressive results in yield and taste. I think... "piece of cake."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast