Thread: Spear Chuckerís

Default Spear Chuckerís

Over the past few years I have been able to get a Black Bear every year. First was a spot & stalk that I got with the 45-70. Next was with the Ruger SRH 454 Casull over bait and last year was with a recurve over bait. Both from a brush blind, 5-7yds away. So this year I will be using a spear. Have any of you guys ever taken a bear with a spear from the ground or tree stand before and how did it go? I will be on the ground behind a brush blind and will be throwing a 7í Samburu Spear with a 7Ē head from 5-7yds. It weights 2.5lbs and hits with quite a wallop. If all goes well I might end up making my own spear head for future hunts. At this rate, I might have to us a big rock (BFR) next year. LOL
    P.S. I will have my 454 on my chest. I haven't completely lost my mind yet.

There is a guy on the Kenai who has taken a few & been doing it for a few years. I can't recall his name right now but he videoed one a while back & Marc @ Wiggys might have his contact info. I will think of his name by the end of the day & send it to you if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    There is a guy on the Kenai who has taken a few & been doing it for a few years. I can't recall his name right now but he videoed one a while back & Marc @ Wiggys might have his contact info. I will think of his name by the end of the day & send it to you if you like.
    Yes please.

I remember reading about a guy that spears hogs from a tree stand all the time. He comes down on them from directly above placing the spearhead right in between the shoulder blades. One of them ended up being 700 lbs. I imagine if a guy could do that with that big a pig I don't see why not on a blackie. Just try and stay away from those big teeth if you miss.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I remember reading about a guy that spears hogs from a tree stand all the time. He comes down on them from directly above placing the spearhead right in between the shoulder blades. One of them ended up being 700 lbs. I imagine if a guy could do that with that big a pig I don't see why not on a blackie. Just try and stay away from those big teeth if you miss.....lol
    Tim Wells is a very well known spear hunter, he kills everything with a spear. Had a bad accident recently where he climbed out of the tree to get an item and his spear fell out of the tree and went right through his thigh. He sat there for 6 hours until someone came and found him, almost bled out.

To the OP. If you get a bear this year with a spear next year you need to use a knife!

I just Google -Tim Wells recent spear accident- and found the video of him filming himself bleeding on the African ground. Not a good place to be sitting all by your self bleeding out. I don't fell so bad about being on the ground now.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/tim-we...-spears-video/

I have a video of my buddy spearing a black bear and a musk ox he finished off with his 500 S&W. He went up by Tok to spear a grizzly one year, but did not connect. It does not get more up close and personal then spearing unless you stab some critter with a knife.

He has killed black bears with rifles, bows a .38 Special, which was not planned, and showed me the skull of a black bear he blew out of his tree stand with the big S&W 500. The big hole enters above the eye a leaves out the back of the skull.

Twice he has killed the biggest moose on the Kenai for a given year and has killed many with a bow. He found a dead moose a tree fell on and a grizzly another bear killed. He spends a lot of time out in the woods and like many of his type he was born to late.

He is modest and a gentlemen and if he sees this post he will be embarrassed. I worked with him for 26 years and he proved to be honest, fearless, kind, full of energy and helpful to others. I love the guy and I am blessed to have him as a friend and he will help carry my casket some day.

He does have a flaw, he said he was not very good at herding a friends reindeer when on a 4 wheeler. Sorry, no video of that. Darn!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    I just Google -Tim Wells recent spear accident- and found the video of him filming himself bleeding on the African ground. Not a good place to be sitting all by your self bleeding out. I don't fell so bad about being on the ground now.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/tim-we...-spears-video/
    Wow...... like he said, glad a leopard didn't come round for a looksee. One thing that kept running through my mind was how he got the spear out of his leg....THAT had to be one hell of a chore...!!!

I think he got lucky and got stuck by the backside of the spear and not the broad head side. I think he'd be bead if it was the broad head side of the spear.

Nothin' but FUN!

Shaft 'em!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have a friend that has done it. It was a great video to watch.

Just got back from a wild boar hunting in Florida. Hunt and Stalk no dogs. Got three. Looking to get a blackbear next. Also carried a Ruger Super Redhawks 454 Casull on my hip. Never had to pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bs_cutter View Post
    Just got back from a wild boar hunting in Florida. Hunt and Stalk no dogs. Got three.
    Congrats...How big were the pigs?