Thread: Where to get heavy duty three-way corkscrew swivels?

Default Where to get heavy duty three-way corkscrew swivels?

I'm getting a couple big halibut leaders prepped for this summers trip up there. Like, 24/0 circle hooks with 500# mono crimped on. Trying to find a few heavy duty three-way corkscrew swivels so I can crimp a leader to one end, and have it ready to tie my line to the other end. Then I can just screw the appropriate size weight on, pin a big salmon head on & hope for the best.

Let's just say that I have high hopes this year of catching a big one, and I want to big rigged & ready for it.

Appreciate it!

Amazon, you can get 350 & 450lb swivels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

B & J's has everything you need.

I have heavy duty corkscrew swivels but never saw a 3- way corkscrew swivel. Biggest 3 - way swivels I've seen are in the 50 # range, not near strong enough for a big fish. But you can make them with the heavy mono, beads, crimps and heavy swivels like in this video.

And if they don't have it.................you don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    B & J's has everything you need.

I've bough some good quality heavy duty corkscrew swivels at the Gear Shed in Homer.
    But don't recall a 3 way corkscrew.

Just out of curiosity how are you rigging your setups?
    I don't trust the mono leaders anymore myself. Had too many crimps pul out on store bought rigs.
    Now I make mine from Ashaway 200#and 300# Tuna cord(gaignon twine).
    I have never had a gaignon knot come out or the twine get damaged. And I have never felt I caught less fish using it versus the mono.
    If they ever get grungy or smelly I just reuse the parts on new line and do not have to worry about crimps.
    I do have the tools and parts in my shop to make both kinds of setups just prefer the ones made of Tuna cord.
    One of these days I should make some youTube videos of how to assemble this stuff.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Bj commercial-anchorage-fish house - Seward- gear shed Homer
    Don't screw around thinking your getting a better deal buying the cheap ones. Go buy the good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    ...heavy duty three-way corkscrew swivels....
    Not seeing any 3-ways in what folks are describing. In fact I don't think I've ever seen any corkscrew three-ways.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I'm getting a couple big halibut leaders prepped for this summers trip up there. Like, 24/0 circle hooks with 500# mono crimped on. Trying to find a few heavy duty three-way corkscrew swivels so I can crimp a leader to one end, and have it ready to tie my line to the other end. Then I can just screw the appropriate size weight on, pin a big salmon head on & hope for the best.

Let's just say that I have high hopes this year of catching a big one, and I want to big rigged & ready for it.

Appreciate it!
    I haven't come across any production 3-way corkscrews...

On another note, I was curious why you would want to run such heavy terminal tackle.

I have spent the last half dozen years scaling back the terminal stuff to see what is really needed and came to the conclusion that less is better most of the time. Think about the size/volume of all the hardware you are running and think of how the water pressure (current) acts on it. The more surface area of the gear, the more weight needed to stay down. Normally we are only using between 20-30#s of drag at the reel and up to 75#s on the main line so why the beefy hardware? I mean, I get it, you look at a 300# fish and you want the security of big gear...I did it too! But now I have scaled back to 100-130# leaders (that can be tied...no crimps), quality 155# snaps (no tangles like corkscrews), and lighter main lines (less drag at greater depths. Also there are ways to rig baits that will further reduce drag in the water and enable you to stay down with far less weight. I don't remember which thread it was but we covered some of these rigging techniques, maybe someone will remember and post it.

Here's a quick rigging vid...I use this method when bait fishing and can fish @ 1/3 of the weight normally used. This one shows 8" Herring but the same is done on large horse Herring.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Sorry I haven't replied to the thread sooner - was in final exams. (law school final exams are zero fun, and take ALOT of time & effort!)

What I use for grouper, big amberjack, etc in the Gulf of Mexico is usually a 300# mono leader tied with a single dropper loop. Circle hook goes on the dropper loop and the sinker goes on the bottom. Have used sliding sinker rigs (egg sinker, or regular weight on a sliding swivel) in the past, and with a big fish, the sliding sinker rig causes alot of abrasion on the main line, so much that sometimes it frays & breaks.

My thinking was to have a heavy barrel swivel (like a McMahon type) with a corkscrew as the three way. Crimp the heavy leader to one end of the swivel & tie mainline to the other. Screw weight onto the corkscrew. This would result in a straight line pull to the fish & the weight not sliding up & down line. I suppose my standard grouper rigging would work well too.

Thanks guys, I'm always fiddling with my tackle & gear to figure out ways to do things better. Sometimes there is no better way because I'm already doing it.

Sorry I haven't replied to the thread sooner - was in final exams. (law school final exams are zero fun, and take ALOT of time & effort!)

What I use for grouper, big amberjack, etc in the Gulf of Mexico is usually a 300# mono leader tied with a single dropper loop. Circle hook goes on the dropper loop and the sinker goes on the bottom. Have used sliding sinker rigs (egg sinker, or regular weight on a sliding swivel) in the past, and with a big fish, the sliding sinker rig causes alot of abrasion on the main line, so much that sometimes it frays & breaks.

My thinking was to have a heavy barrel swivel (like a McMahon type) with a corkscrew as the three way. Crimp the heavy leader to one end of the swivel & tie mainline to the other. Screw weight onto the corkscrew. This would result in a straight line pull to the fish & the weight not sliding up & down line. I suppose my standard grouper rigging would work well too.

Thanks guys, I'm always fiddling with my tackle & gear to figure out ways to do things better. Sometimes there is no better way because I'm already doing it.
    A lot of ways work just fine! I find myself fine tuning on a regular basis and was just hoping another way might add to your arsenal. I run my troll sinkers in-line with a McMahon on the other end to a 1 meter leader. So basically everything is straight in-line and the whole package has less that 1" profile going through the water...hence the less weight required.

This pic shows the leader (130#) crimped but since have stopped crimping.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    A lot of ways work just fine! I find myself fine tuning on a regular basis and was just hoping another way might add to your arsenal. I run my troll sinkers in-line with a McMahon on the other end to a 1 meter leader. So basically everything is straight in-line and the whole package has less that 1" profile going through the water...hence the less weight required.

This pic shows the leader (130#) crimped but since have stopped crimping.

In the video, it looks like you're tying the herring's mouth shut around the line. What kind of material are you using for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    In the video, it looks like you're tying the herring's mouth shut around the line. What kind of material are you using for that?
    Stainless single strand rigging wire. It's similar to a Ballyhoo rig I used for high speed trolling. Takes more time but they can't get the whole bait without the hook.

Heavy Hitter Fishing