Thread: Anyone tried a yurt for temporary housing?

Default Anyone tried a yurt for temporary housing?

We need some temporary housing while we build our cabin on some land outside of Anchorage. I've been looking at these fabric-covered yurts as one option. I've read that the yurt design is strong and works well with high winds too. But I don't have any first-hand experience or know anyone who does either. Just curious if anyone has experience with living in a yurt during the Alaska spring-summer-fall and how well they hold up.

Seward Military Resorts has some set up all summer in Seward and AK DNR State Parks rents them Kachemak Bay State Park so must be durable as rentals.

I wouldn't rule one out if I were still looking for a shelter. I opted for a used Weatherport that was on CL. The durability of the Quonset hut style is well established, that of the yurt you have shown is an unknown to me. At the shoulder where the wall bends to become the roof, that looks like a pretty large span. If you're not looking for year-round use it may not be an issue. How is wind at your location?

Dallas Seavey has lived in one for a number of years with his wife and kids. Year round. Sounds like it's pretty darn nice!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

In May and October bears are very likely to rip a hole in any soft shell dwelling. I've taken to leaving the door of my wall tent open in the shoulder season, so that they can investigate and find no food without damaging the tent.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    I wouldn't rule one out if I were still looking for a shelter. I opted for a used Weatherport that was on CL. The durability of the Quonset hut style is well established, that of the yurt you have shown is an unknown to me. At the shoulder where the wall bends to become the roof, that looks like a pretty large span. If you're not looking for year-round use it may not be an issue. How is wind at your location?
    The wind isn't too bad on our lot. We have some protection from nearby hills. The Quonset hut style looks like a good idea too. I'll have to look into those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    In May and October bears are very likely to rip a hole in any soft shell dwelling. I've taken to leaving the door of my wall tent open in the shoulder season, so that they can investigate and find no food without damaging the tent.
    Good tip, HikerDan.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Dallas Seavey has lived in one for a number of years with his wife and kids. Year round. Sounds like it's pretty darn nice!
    Year round in a yurt in Alaska? That's pretty impressive.

The outdoor club I belong to rents yurts to stay in frequently. Even during the winter. Stayed a few months ago at the yurts near Summit Lake. They rent out all winter.
    I have spent time in the large old Army tents in the past. Yes, even in winter.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.