Thread: Best Local Trails?

Default Best Local Trails?

Been doing this now for about 6 months...Having a good time. These forums have been unbelievably valuable when it comes to finding decent rides. Water Gremlin, DWS, Eric L, the moderators and the rest of the regulars have been a wealth of info for us rookie types...currently looking for decent trails with the following...a little mud, some tech stuff but not "air evac you out dangerous" and something at the end of the trip to see would be great...I dont have a GPS so nothing where I would have to "kill and eat one of my friends to survive rides" ...Jims Creek is boring, love Kings River, and Puritan Creek up to the top is my favorite...Petersville Road was also a pretty good time...How is Hatcher's Pass? Puritan Creek? Much obliged for the info...

Thanks for the nod.

Jim Creek can be boring, but with a little more exploring you'd be surprised what you will find. All the trails before the glacier on the left are fun to investigate but they can be quite technical. There is atleast one trail at the base of the glacier that heads into the mountains. Exploring the Friday creek trails pull you up on top of towering mountains which gives you a worth while view of the ants and their dust clouds below. Knik is still one of my favorite places to ride and has been for quite some time. Don’t even let me get started talking about the trails that open up when the water freezes up. You can ride all day long and not touch the same trail twice.

Pinochle is a close second, but this is an experienced rider trail only. Hick's Creek hill can be tricky, but if it is dry, not badly rutted, and you have good mud tires you should be fine with a high sense of caution. There is a lot of mud, but that is one of the reasons I like this trail so much. There isn’t any fishing in this section of trail but the trail is challenging (which I love), full of sights, and presents a wealth of history.

Kings River is a blast, but there isn't as much exploring to be had as some of the other trails I ride. There is a good trail right before the end of the main trail that dips into the wood line and eventually to Kings River. The decent is steep, and can be dangerous, but it opens up a whole new country that doesn't end at mile 8 like the main trail.

Oh yes, and there is Eureka. Every single trip to Eureka is like a new adventure for me. There's only been one trip that has not provided a site to see. If it's not a bruin staring us down on the trails, it's a wolf walking within a few dozens yards of us while eating lunch, if it's not that we are catching grayling all day, etc etc etc. Awesome place to visit and it is well worth waking up at the butt crack of dawn and making the two hour drive. Bring your snorkels though, you’d need them when you get to either Flat Creek or the Lil Nel.

A second on what WG says. If you can travel try not to limit yourself. There are thousands of trails out there. Don't be afraid to explore the trails less traveled.

You know, my buddy and I went out to Eska Falls yesterday. Kind of forgot about that area. It is still a great ride and to cap off the ride, there is nothing like sitting at the base of the falls. It appears to be a little more technical than is had been in the past, at least for the main trail in. We actually came out the back way which was a little less steep. And they now have the mine side opened back up. Some great views up there. The flowers are really starting to take off and of coarse you can do some fossil exploring if that is your thing. If you start down a trail that has caution tape, heed the warning. Some serious (bottomless) holes down there. I am assuming that comes from the work they had been doing the last couple of years. If you are interested in heading to the falls, let me know or P.M. me, I'll get you going in the right direction. When I started going out there, it took me 3 trips to find the waterfalls.
    EricL

After running up the Knik Glacier yesterday my buddy and I dicovered a well used trail goes up Metal Creek valley. Anyone know how far it goes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    After running up the Knik Glacier yesterday my buddy and I dicovered a well used trail goes up Metal Creek valley. Anyone know how far it goes?
    Ya, we run it all the time, even in winter. It's got a few narly climbs on it and many people have been seriously injured on it, so be careful. It goes 8 miles back to some old mine claims and deadends at a ravine, hikers and sheep only past that. The claims are still held and two small cabins are still maintained so respect their property as you drive by. It's a state trail so feel free to ride