Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks

Default Fairbanks

So I have an opportunity I'm looking into with my company for a promotion that will take me from Juneau to Fairbanks. I've never been up there and I was wondering if you all could give me some information about the area. I know there is Moose, Caribou and Brown Bears.... what else is there to hunt? How is the waterfowl hunting? What kinda of terrain, etc would I be facing? I know it obviously gets colder (-60) and warmer in the summer (not sure the highs) but it is a dry (dryer) so that is better.
    Here I primarily Duck Hunt but after stepping back from Big Game hunting for a couple years I'm really focusing on trying to get back into it so what are the opportunites like? How far will I have to travel to get to decent spots? Should I bring my 16' Fiberglass Double hull boat (w/ 70HP)? Anyway, any information about the area and the hunting, fishing, outdoors activities I would greatly appreciate. Thanks everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Leryt View Post
    So I have an opportunity I'm looking into with my company for a promotion that will take me from Juneau to Fairbanks. ....Anyway, any information about the area and the hunting, fishing, outdoors activities I would greatly appreciate. Thanks everybody!
    The waterfowl hunting is pretty good locally, but the season is pretty short compared to the coast.

You will likely have to travel more than you expect for big game hunting. Everything is a long drive in the Interior it seems. Terrain can go from river and marsh to mountains within an hour's or so drive and good hunting can be found in a lot of spots within that, better hunting can be a little farther.

Not sure I'd drag a big water boat up here- typically, rigs in the interior are flat bottomed, with UHMW armor over aluminum hulls. You could run it in some of the bigger lakes, but not sure that it'd get you much else.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Ok as someone who moved to fairbanks from Juneau let me see if I can help!

Fairbanks- Winter Cold is more max at -40 I've seen one or two days at -50, still cold be prepared, plug in your car or use a garage.

Hunting:

Duck hunting- its a pretty short season up here and happens durring other hunting seasons there are ducks to be shot and you can do it close to Town.

Moose- lots of moose around but a short season an make it a Zoo close to the road during the season, using a boat,plane to get away helps a lot, and people do shoot moose every year off the road system ( I know a couple of guys who shoot a moose every year almost on the road system, they know where and when to go and don't share that info at all!)

Caribou- the big hunts up here are the 40 mile heard and the north slope, the 40 mile can get hit hard and (I've never hunted it) sees a lot of people hunting. The slope is a good hunt if you have a bow (long season, lots of ground to hunt, still lots of people not it has never bothered me) you can take a boat up the ivishak and get out of the bow only zone, lots of people do that hunt and from what I've heard its harder to find caribou.

Bear- I love bear baiting in the spring, that is the most effective way to hunt bears (its not easy but its a way to be consistent). lots of area to bait them for the most part.

Sheep- there is sheep hunting around but you have to drive a ways to get to them.

Fairbanks is and adventure area, I mean lots of stuff you need to get out of town 50+ miles (much more then Juneau!) but its not really bad I mean 50 miles is like an hour not that bad.

I would sell the boat and and buy a flat bottom up here better for the rivers and what, not sure how much your Cat drafts but if you run the rivers you will hit bottom at some point! don't want to get a hole in that fiberglass hull! might be a good boat to go down to Valdez to fish though.

as been said:

good boat to put on Harding, Birch, or Quartz lake for rainbow and Char...

wouldn't put it in any of the rivers right here though.

would be nice for silvers and short trips for halibut out of Valdez

Hunting: being bow certified opens up more closer to town (and IN town)
    black bear and moose that are close to town are hunted hard
    driving 60 - 80 miles and you get away from close to 70% of hunters.
    caribou are within a days drive... if start in can't see light, can hunt same day as drive.
    there are drawing hunts for moose that are within MINUTES of town...
    I call most of them meat style hunts... you just drive out, harvest the critter, load up, and drive home....

duck and geese are a really short season, and run concurrently with moose season......

if you do come up: stop in local gun shop and talk hunting.

hope this helps,
    Chris

and the ice fishing up around here is MUCH better than Juneau...

chris

All very good advice so far - nothing to add.

Hodgeman and AKducks, awesome guys, thanks! akgun&ammo and jpost thanks too you as well.
    I figured I would want to sell my boat here, and that would be my plan (its like a boston whaler), and it sounds like the hunting would be good especially since I don't mind having to travel. About how short is the hunting season? I know for here it is Mid September to the end of the year. akgun&ammo, I am bow certified as of September and have been considering getting into archery hunting but haven't done it yet. And I've never been ice fishing, sounds like fun. Thanks guys! Keep up the advice and information!

Some days in the summer / early fall can be absolutely glorious...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

About how short is the hunting season?
    Depends on how far you travel. On most of the road system, moose season is pretty short- 2-3weeks at most. Caribou up north can go for months and most years GMU13 caribou (draw or Tier I) is open from Aug into March with a break for the rut in Oct. Bears are pretty much open anytime you want to go out in spring, summer or fall. Grouse and ptarmigan are open for most of the fall and winter. Ducks are usually only good for a month or so depending on the year. Predators and trapping are open most of the winter. Hares and squirrels never close.

I can literally hunt something for 365 days a year.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

That would be nice change of pace. I grew up in Southern Central Oregon (the good part of the state meaning east of the Cascades) which sounds like similar weather. -20 to -30 winters and 90's in the summers, but dry. part of the Oregon Outback high desert south of Bend, by the Nevada, California, Oregon T. From my understanding Fairbanks will be similar to that as far as weather, just a lot more dark and a lot more daylight, haha.
    Hodgeman, awesome thanks. That is good because I would like to do that year round. I mean waterfowl specifically, lol. I know it said in the regs last year that season was Sept 1st- Dec 16th. Are there just not birds there that entire time?
    I don't mind having to drive a ways to get to good hunting, I'll just have to get used to it again. I grew up 20 miles from town and had to drive 20-30 minutes to get anywhere or do anything, but in Juneau the longest drive is 45 minutes (one way), lol.

How are the geese up there? Get Canadas and Snows/Ross?

. I know it said in the regs last year that season was Sept 1st- Dec 16th. Are there just not birds there that entire time?
    There are always a few pockets of ducks on open water, most years though there is very little open water into November. Usually the bulk of the migration is gone by the end of September/ first week of October or so. You can round up ducks on open leads past that, but it's usually too cold to really be fun and the numbers are pretty low.

From my understanding Fairbanks will be similar to that as far as weather, just a lot more dark and a lot more daylight, haha.
    I know it said in the regs last year that season was Sept 1st- Dec 16th. Are there just not birds there that entire time?
    Pretty much everything freezes up come October. You'll see ducks in open patches on the river in town, but it's in town and where the water's open it's because of the power plant, etc.

Get back to us on that "similar" thing a year from now, okay?
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Hodgeman, got yah. So some of the river around might hold some, what about fields and such? Anything like that up there?

mlshore, HAHAHA. Similar means I was used to dry cold and hot. I didn't say that this was going to be the same. I assume there will be more wind, and this is an extremely different climate that I grew up in (5000' elevation, High desert). I'm just saying that I grew up in a climate more like that then were I am here in Juneau (rainforest).

I can't understand why any humans would live in Juneau or Fairbanks...................

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I can't understand why any humans would live in Juneau or Fairbanks...................
    First off Juneau is God's country! and Fairbanks grows on you!

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    First off Juneau is God's country! and Fairbanks grows on you!
    Truth!
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Fairbanks may be the worlds largest truck stop, at the same time its the last civilized place on the planet.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Hodgeman, got yah. So some of the river around might hold some, what about fields and such? Anything like that up there?

mlshore, HAHAHA. Similar means I was used to dry cold and hot. I didn't say that this was going to be the same. I assume there will be more wind, and this is an extremely different climate that I grew up in (5000' elevation, High desert). I'm just saying that I grew up in a climate more like that then were I am here in Juneau (rainforest).
    Actually, Fairbanks sits in a sort of bowl at the lowest spot. There is basically no wind to speak of, especially not compared to coastal Southeast. That's part of why air quality gets so bad. Bring a headnet and a lot of bug spray.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

HAHAHAHA, Careful AGL4now. I really have enjoyed living in Juneau, the weather doesn't bother me and I've enjoyed the hunting and fishing. Juneau has been a great place to live these last several years.
    AKducks, Amen! And I have several friends here from Fairbanks who say that its a great area too. But Juneau really is a beautiful place, and when the sun does shine it makes all the rest of the year worth it!
    Akgramps what do you mean the last truck stop?

Akgramps what do you mean the last truck stop?
    Not last just the largest..... its a analogy a friend of mine used a few years ago and I find it quite fitting at certain times of the year, dont get me wrong, I happen to like it here. No, I am not a trucker and dont frequent truck stops.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast