Thread: 27' North River OS performance with Merc 150s

Default 27' North River OS performance with Merc 150s

Got a chance to run thr OS today w Merc 150s using 14x17 Merc SS Vengence props and thought I'd share some results.
    The total load in the boat was just under 400lbs. Will try to get some on the water picc next time. Was running solo and didn't have a selfy stick.

Rpm. Mph. Gph. Mpg
    3000. 19 7.0 2.7
    3500. 26. 8.6 3.02
    4000. 31. 11.6. 2.7
    4500. 35. 15.6. 2.24
    5000. 40. 19.6. 2.04
    5800. 46. 28.8. 1.6

North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Those numbers are impressive. What is the total boat weight?

Very impressive. I think that boat paired with a twin Suzuki 175's would be just about as good as a guy could get. Not knocking the Mercs, but I do love them Suzuki's. How much fuel does she carry?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Mel except for the high end of the rpm's, these #'s are real close to what I got for my boat last year. I think I ended up around 3.1 mpg for the summer's average. I bought a pair of 4 blade SS props this year that are a 1/4" bigger diameter & 1 pitch off from my 3 bladers to see if I could improve the mid range cruise gph burn & overall mpg. With any luck I'll be testing them out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Got a chance to run thr OS today w Merc 150s using 14x17 Merc SS Vengence props and thought I'd share some results.
    The total load in the boat was just under 400lbs. Will try to get some on the water picc next time. Was running solo and didn't have a selfy stick.

Rpm. Mph. Gph. Mpg
    3000. 19 7.0 2.7
    3500. 26. 8.6 3.02
    4000. 31. 11.6. 2.7
    4500. 35. 15.6. 2.24
    5000. 40. 19.6. 2.04
    5800. 46. 28.8. 1.6

2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by stroganof View Post
    Those numbers are impressive. What is the total boat weight?
    As tested I'm guessing total weight was just over 7K. It has a standard fuel tank of 170gal.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Mel except for the high end of the rpm's, these #'s are real close to what I got for my boat last year. I think I ended up around 3.1 mpg for the summer's average. I bought a pair of 4 blade SS props this year that are a 1/4" bigger diameter & 1 pitch off from my 3 bladers to see if I could improve the mid range cruise gph burn & overall mpg. With any luck I'll be testing them out this weekend.
    The boat is lightly loaded so with a full tank of fuel, gear, pax, and coolers of barley pop the top rpms should come down. The hull design of the OS is not meant for top speed and there is a limit on how much speed you can get without changes to get more of the hull out of the water or aerating the hull. So more HP won't make large increases in top speed. At first glance at the numbers, I think the Mercs will provide the best economy between 3500 and 4000rpm. 30-31mph @4000k would be a good cruise speed to get you to the fishing ground in decent time and not waste allot of fuel getting there.