Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching the *******s red handed

Default Catching the *******s red handed

So Saturday I was a couple of bays out of Whittier enjoying an absurdly sunny day and I look over and think to myself, "hmmm that looks like my pots that guy is on." Sure as hell I quickly motor over and see them quickly tossing over my sinking line. I pulled the string and they didn't get my shrimp, but they sure left a knotted up mess in their haste of getting caught and trying to act as if they were "just fishing". They slowly left as I was pulling the string, but had my boy keep an eye on their location. Once we the gear reset, I motored over to them and threw a .45 bullet at the boat with a promise that if I ever saw them near my pot again, the next one would be coming at them much faster. The kicker to this is I actually know one of the jack holes on the boat and he tried to play it off as "hey man we lost 2 pots and it's Travis". I won't even get into my rant and rage of my words at the time. He was obviously drunk. I can't recall his last name but he worked at Koots for a very long time and is a bear guide. Being a guide he should know better. The boat in question is an approx. 22 foot C-dory that is unnamed. AK 5755 AD. It had a radar arch and runs with a cooler right in front of the outboard. If you see this boat out keep an eye on your gear.

I caught a guy with my gear in his hands. I got a pic of the boat and ak numbers and hailed the coasties......he got a citation at the dock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

i think my throttle and steering would have malfunctioned

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by akfisherman View Post
    I caught a guy with my gear in his hands. I got a pic of the boat and ak numbers and hailed the coasties......he got a citation at the dock

A citation? That's such bull****, he needs to get arrested....

I think a bullet through there outboard would've been a just punishment. I have no tolerance for thieves.

it is better to get the numbers an report an don't get into a heated argument as it could go bad fast an it is not worth it, that is what I think
    I know they are not worth it let the fish cops handle it an get the word they will pay an every one will know what they do it
    it think would be great with the last name an as a guide he is washed up I
    SID

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    The best way to end this behavior is to have a fine hefty enough that people won't even consider this thieving behavior.
    Start it at a minimum of $1,000(or higher) for the first offense and double it every time after that.
    The slap on the wrist punishment isn't a deterrent at all.
    And violence may get you in more trouble than the thieves get for their acts.
    The state needs to up the fines maybe even throw in some jail time on the subsequent offenses.
    One of these days it's going to get ugly and someone will get seriously hurt when guns are drawn.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

That would be nice Chris. But the state is softening up crime bail amounts and sentences now. Hell it takes a 2nd DUI, violent crime against a person or a felony crime to actually take someone to jail now. It sucks

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    That would be nice Chris. But the state is softening up crime bail amounts and sentences now. Hell it takes a 2nd DUI, violent crime against a person or a felony crime to actually take someone to jail now. It sucks

Yes that sucks they are softening up.
    But I don't see another way to stop the thieves.
    Other than the obvious such as death or incarceration the only way to stop thieves is to put some fear into them.
    A hefty fine and some Jail time certainly does that.
    Like I said taking the matter into your own hands could land you in a heap of trouble.
    How else do we get a handle on this issue?
    Do they make a buoy with a hidden camera and GPS tracker inside of it?

A buoy camera sure would be nice. 360 degree view too

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

What about taking a balloon and filling it with asphalt sealer and hanging it off your line....when it comes through the puller it would coat the boat with that sticky sh*t. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor fanatic View Post
    What about taking a balloon and filling it with asphalt sealer and hanging it off your line....when it comes through the puller it would coat the boat with that sticky sh*t. Just a thought
    Yes until the troopers decide to pull your pot to check it's legality.(rotten cotton mesh size etc.)
    I've heard of commercial Crabber's in SE that would use uv dye.
    A blacklight at the dock proved who the thief was.
    Any kind of bright paint would work well I suppose if there was not the trooper issue I already mentioned.
    We have discussed this kind of stuff in the past but it always seems there is a reason not to.
    Like with an Ace line hauler or hand pulling it's slow enough they would likely see it coming.
    Or screwing up and getting your own boat by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yes that sucks they are softening up.
    But I don't see another way to stop the thieves.
    Other than the obvious such as death or incarceration the only way to stop thieves is to put some fear into them.
    A hefty fine and some Jail time certainly does that.
    Like I said taking the matter into your own hands could land you in a heap of trouble.
    How else do we get a handle on this issue?
    Do they make a buoy with a hidden camera and GPS tracker inside of it?
    How are you going to get some lowlife to pay a fine ??? Jail ?? they want to go to jail for the winter ! I say beat the living crap out of them and sink/burn the boat & leave them on the beach to figure out a way home. A good Italian friend of mine back east has a great story he overheard while delivering flowers to a neighborhood "mens club" after one of the members had a unfortunate accident and passed away, it was about a famous guy that has never been found, rumor has it he went through a grinder and was turned into fish food/chum. Eh-oh with the wave of a pinky ring !!!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

[QUOTE=Rob B;1540334]A buoy camera sure would be nice. 360 degree view too

They'll steal that too ! and when confronted about it say, i found it floating.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor fanatic View Post

driveway sealer it doesn't rub/wipe off and leaves a nice brown stain the more you rub it. I'd think it might burn good to

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Yes until the troopers decide to pull your pot to check it's legality.(rotten cotton mesh size etc.)
    I've heard of commercial Crabber's in SE that would use uv dye.
    A blacklight at the dock proved who the thief was.
    Any kind of bright paint would work well I suppose if there was not the trooper issue I already mentioned.
    We have discussed this kind of stuff in the past but it always seems there is a reason not to.
    Like with an Ace line hauler or hand pulling it's slow enough they would likely see it coming.
    Or screwing up and getting your own boat by accident.
    I don't think its illegal to put a ballon on your buoyline. Ya got to find the boat to use the black light on. From all counts these low lifes have supersonic boats that nobody can catch ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Just gonna say, I hope I never catch someone pulling my string!!!
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    How are you going to get some lowlife to pay a fine ??? Jail ?? they want to go to jail for the winter ! I say beat the living crap out of them and sink/burn the boat & leave them on the beach to figure out a way home. !!!!
    Take their PFD or sell their boat!
    Remember the guys who were caught a few years ago who were in the $100,000+ kingfisher?
    Yeah they had plenty of money to pay a fine, yet, got a slap on the wrist.
    What does a PWS boat cost nowadays? I'm guessing even the cheapest one is worth at least $1,000.
    We are not talking about the kind of thieves who steal your chainsaw out of your yard to trade it for a bag of weed.
    These are people who own an ocean worthy boat,Some of them expensive boats,who travel miles offshore.
    There are ways to get them to pay court ordered fines. The state does it all the time.
    And most of them do not want to go to jail for the winter. Like I said they are not the kind of thieves stealing stuff out of your shed.
    What happens when they get rescued off of the remote beach you left them on and produce cell phone pics of you assaulting them and burning their boat down?
    Yeah they are going to admit stealing your gear and not get you in trouble.
    No you will be spending time in jail and buying them a new boat!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I don't think its illegal to put a ballon on your buoyline. Ya got to find the boat to use the black light on. From all counts these low lifes have supersonic boats that nobody can catch ???
    Maybe you can include a balloon of driveway sealer with each set of pots you sell Steve?
    I understand more pots are likely lost due to being improperly set than are truly stolen.
    But some are stolen and raided each year and I still feel the best deterrent that doesn't get the pots owner in trouble is for the state to get serious with these thieves and up the fines and add some jail time.

Take their PFD or sell their boat!
    Remember the guys who were caught a few years ago who were in the $100,000+ kingfisher?
    The boat was leased. After they got caught they had it for sale on Craigslist
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Rather than talking tough on the internet, wouldn't our efforts be better spent lobbying our state senators and representatives to pass legislation with serious and meaningful penalties for tampering with or pulling pots that don't belong to you? In the time someone takes to write about what they'd do if they caught someone pulling their pots they could email their representative about their concerns over this issue. Enough of these and maybe said representative might decide that folks that catch shrimp also vote and it might be to their benefit to listen to their concerns.
    Or we could just could try and outdo each other over who's the toughest guy on the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast