Thread: Willow Creek

Default Willow Creek

Thought I'd make a quick post and ask anyone would be willing to offer a little advice for a newbie who is fishing willow creek for the first time. I've heard that it's best to fish the confluence this time of year and to go early in the morning. I was told to use dolly llamas (which are brand new to me) flesh flies and beads (which are also new to me).

I moved here from the lower 48 last year and all I fished with down there were nymphs, all these big flies you all use up here have me a little intimidated but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Thanks in in advance to any advice I receive, I've been lurking around this forum for a little bit but this is my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by alphakilo View Post
    Thought I'd make a quick post and ask anyone would be willing to offer a little advice for a newbie who is fishing willow creek for the first time. I've heard that it's best to fish the confluence this time of year and to go early in the morning. I was told to use dolly llamas (which are brand new to me) flesh flies and beads (which are also new to me).

I moved here from the lower 48 last year and all I fished with down there were nymphs, all these big flies you all use up here have me a little intimidated but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Thanks in in advance to any advice I receive, I've been lurking around this forum for a little bit but this is my first post.
    This time of year can be hit or miss for rainbows in the creeks. Don't get me wrong, it can be good, but it can also be tricky to figure out. Whoever told you to use Dolly Llamas gave you solid advice. Dolly Llamas generally imitate forage fish like sculpins and smolts and that's the name of the game this time of year. As far as flesh flies and beads, my suggestion is to always have them with you, but they wouldn't be my go-to fly when starting off. Every now and again I'll catch a few bows, dollies, and grayling with flesh and beads this time of year, but that typically becomes more the standard pattern in mid to late summer throughout the fall. Washed out beads and flesh patterns can be good because hungry rainbows are willing to eat anything and when the rivers thaw sometimes there are still some dead salmon carcasses and eggs that thaw out with the ice. Nymphs can be great this time of year. I've done great with nymph patterns this time of year with rainbows and with grayling.

Stop by 3 rivers fly shop in Wasilla at the corner of the hwy and KGB intersection, ask for Mike. He will point you in the right direction. Great guy!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Any river condition reports from the bridge down?

SMALL flesh flies, beads, nymphs, and epoxy fry have been producing well lately. Leeches, like Dolly Llamas, have caught a few, but they have not been the top producers as of late. If you like fishing nymphs, fish them! Larger nymphs in size 8-10 have been working well. A Prince Nymph is a great pattern.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Which creeks around here host grayling?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    Perhaps a better question is which ones don't. I've caught plenty of grayling in Willow Creek and many other Parks highway streams.

We caught nothing last weekend. We fished primarily the confluence area but also near the highway. We ran into quite a few fly fisherman but only heard of one rainbow being landed. We tried everything from beads, to smolt, to mice patterns. It was great getting out though. I was hoping for a grayling!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    Check your pm's.

We hit Montana and Willow yesterday, water is extremely low and warm for this time of year. fished all day, nothing, Great to get out on a warm sunny May day but no fish. Wondering if they haven't moved up or if they are already upstream. Thoughts.

Most rainbows will be upstream spawning. Probably best to leave them alone for now. Time to hit the lakes for some trout or go kill some pike.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

I fished in that area today.
    Sculpzilla was the ticket. Tried flesh, eggs, and stoneflies. Nada. Swinging big streamers was the way to go.